fighting, etc

Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 44
    DispositionIntransigent

Re: fighting, etc

Post by Ҩ on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Isn't the pay-per-view like $100? I can't swing that. I do want to see this fight though and I'll probably end up looking for a stream somewhere...

Also, as disgusting as some of the rhetoric and build-up to this event has been, the shitty commentary pieces on ESPN and BleacherReport about this event being the crystalline example of a depraved American culture is pretty flimsy.
    undo
    President Obama

Pizzas : 479

Post by undo on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:14 pm

who do u want 2 win
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 445

Post by Bruegel on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:10 pm

I'd like them both to get ktfo

Mostly though, I'd like McGregor to try and defend his belt in the most exciting division in combat sports. Him v Tony Ferguson is a contest that actually deserves a few months of hype.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 44
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 pm

McGregor. I don't know anything about fighting but he is wildly entertaining while also coming across, at times, like a genuinely nice person. Along with being a total piece of shit, Floyd reigned over boxing during its rapid decline into complete cultural irrelevance and obscurity.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 am

This fight wasn't close but it was far more nuanced than I though it would be. McGregor was way more fluent in the vernacular than I predicted. For a dude who sets up all his handiwork in MMA with kicks, he made some really impressive technical adjustments. It made Mayweather's early rounds conservatism look even more stark. He gradually turned it up as McGregor faded so what we got was a far more convincing illusion of a contest than I had hoped for.

Fucking good job Mac's game plan wasn't grappling/dirty boxing orientated because Byrd was desperate to punish him. Byrd eyeballing/lecturing Mac in the pre-fight was hilarious.

C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 139

Post by C-poots on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 am

Bruegel wrote:This fight wasn't close but it was far more nuanced than I though it would be. McGregor was way more fluent in the vernacular than I predicted. For a dude who sets up all his handiwork in MMA with kicks, he made some really impressive technical adjustments. It made Mayweather's early rounds conservatism look even more stark. He gradually turned it up as McGregor faded so what we got was a far more convincing illusion of a contest than I had hoped for.

Fucking good job Mac's game plan wasn't grappling/dirty boxing orientated because Byrd was desperate to punish him. Byrd eyeballing/lecturing Mac in the pre-fight was hilarious.

Pretty much this exactly. With the exception of later round grapples and some quick back-of-the-head punches, this looked much more like an actual boxing match than I expected. The constantly extended southpaw light jabs were clearly getting Mayweather annoyed and thrown off a little bit, and got this thing to last twice as long than I thought it would. Overall it was pretty entertaining.
    Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 629

Post by Nick on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Was this a onetime event that depended on two transcendent representatives from their sport? Or is Dana White going full speed ahead now with these crossover fights?

I could see them being money makers in the short term. And then fans will realize an MMA fighter is never going to win a boxing match.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head with transcendent.

There are more technically accomplished boxers than Mac in the elite strata of MMA but May/Mac was on some GOAT self-promoter v GOAT definsive-boxing/woman-beater star alignment shit.

I mean, Dominic Cruz or Cody Garbrandt v Jorge Linares is a far more legitimate boxing contest but where is the PPV draw? I'd pay to see it but who else would?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm