JDFF

Duff...
    Blood Gargling Psychopath

Pizzas : 342
    DispositionSunny.

Re: JDFF

Post by Duff... on Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 pm

It's definitely not the same show now that it's on NPR. It was appointment listening for me in 2004 and 2005. I worked late so I'd often only get to catch the last half hour, so I would tape the first hour of any show I didn't want to miss. Probably have a tape of the To Bring You My Love dissection lying around here somewhere.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 pm

I admit I'm a bit disappointed I'm not able to copy and paste this for Fender:

Donald Trump wrote:
    It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said–and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said what system are you going to be–"Sir, we’re staying with digital." I said no you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 44
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat May 13, 2017 1:50 pm

As a native English speaker, I have no idea what any of that means.
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Mon May 22, 2017 4:32 am

I listened to one Sound Opinions show, about Neil Young's RUST NEVER SLEEPS. It was great. I don't have any desire to listen to another episode though.
    _
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 53

Post by _ on Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 pm

spotted our boy with Vortis(?) at my band's practice space in Humboldt

would have asked him about the board but he has a fresh pair of full sleeves and looked ready to kill
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 74
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Just reading a Financial Times article about data visualisation and up pops a quote from Ben Welsh. LOLd in the office.
    chrondog
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 220

Post by chrondog on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

reuben
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 628

Post by reuben on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 am

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/07/jim_derogatis_on_his_r_kelly_story_for_buzzfeed.html
    Jim Dero wrote:I’ve been a rock critic since I was 17. I’m about to be 53. I understand groupie culture in R&B and rock ’n’ roll, and I’m firmly in favor of sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll. I don’t think this is that.
    bumpin
    Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 621

Post by Nick on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 am

I'd prefer a take on R Kelly potentially enslaving women from a writer that hasn't spent a large portion of their career attacking R Kelly.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm

it's not "a take" so much as original reporting that he got involved with because the victim's families were familiar with his previous reporting. despite my presence on these boards over the years, i have only the vaguest familiarity with Jim. i have enjoyed his perspective on the writing of this story.
    undo
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 456

Post by undo on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I can't find the Pitchfork (?) review where the writer was like "yeah, 'Mirrors' by Justin Timberlake is a pretty song but if R Kelly was signing it, it would be like instructions to his housekeeper on what solvents to use to wipe his dried semen off the glass!"  
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm

chrondog wrote:it's not "a take" so much as original reporting that he got involved with because the victim's families were familiar with his previous reporting. despite my presence on these boards over the years, i have only the vaguest familiarity with Jim. i have enjoyed his perspective on the writing of this story.

I think Dero was made to testify in Kelly's molestation trial at the behest of Kelly's lawyers because someone sent him the infamous tape, and he refused to reveal his source. But while I share a bit of Nick's concern about this potentially being a white whale for Dero, none of this sounds particularly out of character for Kelly (outside the fact they all seem to be of legal age).

Anyway, good for Dero setting the internet ablaze.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Duff... wrote:I think Dero was made to testify in Kelly's molestation trial at the behest of Kelly's lawyers because someone sent him the infamous tape, and he refused to reveal his source.

that is what i've read.

in the interviews i've seen with Jim, he comes across as super reasonable when he asks things like "why did Lady Gaga do a song with him? why did Jimmy Fallon have him on his show singing Christmas songs when it's in the public record that he has settled around a dozen cases where he was accused of sexually abusing underage people?" he doesn't come across as someone making a mountain out of a molehill or a journalist seeking publicity, quite the opposite. he seems to be asking why people haven't made a mountain out of this mountain, a la Cosby. i think that's exactly the right question to ask.

Last edited by chrondog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Agreed.

I think the answer to that question is the timing of all of this. In 2017 people are less willing to look past this stuff. When Kelly put out his last record, the publicity hit a bit of a brick wall when his past sins were starting to get talked about again. I'm seeing way more outrage over this now than I did in 2009(?).
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm

i absolutely agree on timing. i assume that is why Jim felt it was worthwhile to report on a tip he got nine months ago about something he already had some idea existed and had been discussed in the public record. he (rightfully) felt that new reporting in this new climate would produce different results.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 pm