Paves
jesus jones
20 posters

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august Empty so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:09 pm

my wife got into an mfa program at saic and she's really stoked about going

before we finalize anything, we're gonna wait to hear back from her other schools, but saic was her top choice

i'm pretty stoked to join you all in the frigid north for a spell

Last edited by jesus jones on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august Empty Re: so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Post by Paves Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Fuck yes.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august Empty Re: so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 pm

it's an exciting time to be alive
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

i think we're gonna drive up the weekend of march 1 for a quick visit - i might play a show

i'll post details when i get em
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 pm

What do you think you'll do for work? Is Yancy going to put in a good word at Electrical Audio?
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm

i don't know yet, but my bosses both lived in chicago for many years and still know tons of people there, so hopefully i'll be able to do some networking through them

is employment in chicago hard to come by?
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Aren't you an audio engineer, or something like that? I have no idea what that market is like. I just wanted to make a reference to Steve Albini.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 pm

And his bro. Yancy.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm

oh, ha

i work at make noise, which is a manufacturer of modular synthesizers

i used to be an audio engineer at a small studio in chapel hill and interned at a very famous studio here
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm

I know a dude named Miguel who studied audio shit and dreamed of working in a real studio. He's worked at a call center for like five years, instead.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:22 pm

jesus jones wrote:i think we're gonna drive up the weekend of march 1 for a quick visit - i might play a show

i'll post details when i get em
    Looking forward to these details if only to tell my buddy Dallas that he needs to attend a music event in the springtime.

Sounds awesome overall JJ. Of all the cities I've lived in, Chicago is the only one I've ever actively missed, and I've done that a lot. Not sure whether it has to do with my upbringing or if Chicago is just better than other places, but I suspect a combination of the 2.

Last edited by Ned Braden on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 pm

it's a pretty shitty job, actually

to make it anywhere you have to make coffee for assholes for a year+, then start by recording the worst bands possible for little to no money, then hope to assist on a larger session for more important engineers/producers and get yelled at in front of tons of people, then maybe you get some work on your own/more assistant engineer gigs

very similar to trying to work as a chef, which i also did and ultimately hated
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:24 pm

i don't really know a whole lot about chicago other than what yall post, but i've been the most excited about the prospect of moving there (or austin) than any of the other places my wife applied

i love nyc but i'm not ready to live there, and i have little interest in moving to sf and struggling super hard to afford rent
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Historically low rent is the best thing about Chicago. So cheap. It's amazing.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Fuck the sales tax, though.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm

that's one thing i'm stoked about

doing a cost analysis of ashevile vs chicago tells me that cost of living is cheaper in chicago than my little mountain city of 90,000 - mind blowing
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

looks like i'll be pming bgwaves for herbs later this year
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

zappo wrote:What do you think you'll do for work? Is Yancy going to put in a good word at Electrical Audio?
    I'm assuming JJ will want like, actual work, but I could definitely recommend him for an Electrical internship. I think the interns might get paid, fwiw. You'd have to clean up after bands and the Tuesday night poker gang, but one of the former interns went on to start a billion dollar company, so that's always an option. And some great cats live there.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:30 pm

if i were 22, i'd totally take you up on that

but yeah, actual work would rule
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 pm

JJ take those finely honed production skills and get in on the ground floor of the freshly budding Coolata Lounge future juggernaut.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Get a job at Shure and we can meet for lunch at Naf Naf Grill right over there in the mall.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Hey awesome.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 pm

If you ever find yourself being in both a masochistic mood and in Lincoln Park, come hang out.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 pm

where should we live
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Bucktown. Sub-lease with s^*t.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am