Paves
jesus jones
20 posters

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august - Page 3 Empty Re: so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Post by Bruegel Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Someh wrote:
    Bruegel wrote:
    Zone 1, London

Which borough?
    Hackney, just (Hoxton ward)
    quip
    quip
    Jasper's Yurt of Enlightened Conversation

Pizzas : 74

so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august - Page 3 Empty Re: so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august

Post by quip Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:59 pm

raj 2 wrote:
    Duff... wrote:RE: Logan Square, guess I haven't been there much since it apparently became the new Wicker Park, but I always found it to be a good mix of young white indie bullshit and multi-ethnic family/community.

Yeah. Nothing as congested or obnoxious as Damen/North, but the gentrification is unmistakeable. It's still pretty heavily Latino, especially the western part (Phixed country). But you can't really find cheap places close to Milwaukee and the El like you easily could years ago.

I've been in LS for over 10 years now and while I still love it, it's shocking how much it has gentrified. That said, Raj is OTM that if you go west of Kimball it suddenly feels more like the neighborhood I originally moved into and awesome flats for decent rents can still be found. The only problem with this is that depending on how far north or south you are from Wrightwood, you're fairly far from the Blue Line at that point so to get downtown by CTA would likely require a bus+train. I have more friends that are moving up to Hermosa by the Belmont stop so that is something to definitely consider too.

I'm also a huge fan of Hyde Park. If all of my closest friends didn't also live in west LS and within walking distance of my place, I'd definitely consider moving down there.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Bridgeport dawg. You will not find cheaper rent unless you wanna live in the hood or a small ass apt. Plus Bridgeport has a thriving artistic community with the Bridgeport art center and co prosperity sphere. Its also close to the highway, EL stops, and a short distance from midway airport as well. It can feel isolated if you want to walk to places rather then take public trans or drive. Bridgeport def doesn't have as many hotspot restaurants, clubs or bars but saving money is better then saving time.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 am

Yeah, live on the ruins of a racial war zone dominated by a bunch of closed-minded Irish cuntbags. Fuck Bridgeport.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

Every hip neighborhood in chicago is on the edge of a racial war zone bro.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am

wp64 wrote:cuntbags

I like it!
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:10 pm

what's apartment hunting in chicago like? can one find a place a month before moving or does it need to be a ready-to-move-immediately situation?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Should be able to find a place ahead of time. There are like a billion free apartment finder services if you're interested in that kind of thing, and the Tribune, Sun-Times, and the Reader all have good listings.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:24 pm

cool. we're coming back up in June to look for places but won't be ready to move until end of july
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 am

If you're flexible on neighborhood and the type of place you get, yeah, you can easily get a place with a month's notice. About six weeks out is when you get the best selection, but you're by no means limited a month out.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Check this out:
    so it looks more and more like i'll be living in chicago by august - Page 3 NESchicago-printLETTER

Go Chicago!
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:34 pm

suburban living

http://www.suntimes.com/22258802-761/leaning-tower-of-niles-walls-crumbling-village-ponders-fix.html
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

First they came for the car spindle but I said nothing ...
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:04 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/ChicagoSuburbs/comments/1lw1ys/lost_cat_in_des_plaines/
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 am

Can any of you guys find a decent youtube or soundbyte of "Hey dudes, Lodi here!" Or "Because I'm Lodi and you're not?"

Don't know how many times I've searched the internet for this shit.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:05 pm

livin the dream here in bucktown
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:21 pm

MBV, tonight?

God damn it.

Last edited by zappo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:22 pm

i'll be there, yeah
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 pm

Interviewing for a job in Chicago currently, one that I might actually be qualified for too.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Wow, the rent in Chicago is pretty amazing based on a cursory look too.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm

yeah man, it's pretty killer

my cost of living is nearly identical to asheville
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:07 am

As long as you don't smoke cigarettes and can deal with shitty weather I think this place is pretty much cost-benefit utopia for most bros.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 am

I recently quit smoking as "my brand" runs about $13 a pack here in New York and around $9 in Boston. A total surprise benefit of living in Berkeley, I could get Camel Blue packs for $3.50 across the street from my apartment.

Point being - quick smoking WP its a bad habit
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:19 am

C-poots wrote:"Point being - quick smoking WP
    I usually put them down pretty rapidly.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am