Reuben, your Byrds thread on the old members-only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum was otm.

Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Reuben, your Byrds thread on the old members-only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum was otm.

Post by Paves on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

David Crosby was indeed a crucial member of said group, as difficult as it is to admit.

But good lord, was he one of the least likable people imaginable, which really gets hammered home in the Gene Clark biography that I just finished.

reuben
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 621

Re: Reuben, your Byrds thread on the old members-only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum was otm.

Post by reuben on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm

I think I'd like to read that book.

This is a timely thread; I've been meaning to revisit the Byrds after reading Robyn Hitchcock's take on Mr Tambourine Man here

There was something very romantic about it; it was very wistful. The vocals were very wistful. They weren’t feisty like John Lennon or Bob Dylan. Roger McGuinn had a wistful voice and David Crosby’s was stronger but ethereal. It was like crystal dipped in honey and then there was the 12-string so the whole thing was magic. I know that Gene Clark was the dominant songwriter in the band but the dominant sound seemed to be McGuinn’s voice and guitar and Crosby who was the dominant harmonist. His harmonies were so forceful and so strong that people thought that was the actual melody. That really set me up for the whole thing.
    reuben

Re: Reuben, your Byrds thread on the old members-only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum was otm.

Post by reuben on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

even though he is full of opinions like this

“Back then I was on a mission, as far as I was concerned,” he recalls. “Music had taken a wrong turning back in 1967 when everybody got too stoned and got into funky jams. You know, just listen to the stuff Hendrix was doing in ’69 compared to the earlier stuff. People got too damned stoned and couldn’t be bothered to remember chord sequences and they ended getting the mightiest of blowjobs from the critical establishment for just riffing away for 10 minutes. It didn’t matter whether you were Jack Bruce or some stoners from Ladbroke Grove; you just turned your amps up and stood there and waffled!”
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 165

Post by raj gibson on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 pm

ears bathed in honey-dipped crystals
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 338

Post by yancy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

raj 2 wrote:honey-dipped crystals
    The best cereal.
    reuben

Post by reuben on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I know that it was probably a transcribed conversation and also that I sound like a blathering idiot whenever I talk for more than one or two sentences but the way he used "dominant" three times in a row really threw me off of whatever point he was trying to make.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Realms don't come harsher than Gene Clark's life, gotta say.

The story ends with him finally getting his health together...until the release of Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever, whose cover of "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" suddenly dumps a bunch of royalties into his pocket, which he uses to buy lots of alcohol for drinking, cars and motorcycles for crashing into shit, and crack for smoking and getting really high with. And then he dies and it's all over.

But then there's THIS part:

At the well-attended service, actor David Carradine, one of Gene's running buddies in his darkest drug period, caused a scene over the open casket. "When Carradine came up," Pat Robinson notes, "he wasn't as much drunk as he was on acid, I think, and his girlfriend and business manager at the time was there with him. And we're standing there and Carradine says, "You cocksucker...' and grabs Gene by the lapels. When you pull somebody up from a coffin and they have nothing inside for guts they bend higher up. It really was shocking to me to see that. And Carradine goes, 'You pissed on my daughter when she was 13.' And he said it pretty loud and then he says, 'I saw him snicker, boys, heh heh.' Oh, man, that was weird."

Carradine was alluding to an alleged incident in the early '80s when, following an argument with Bob Dylan at David's house, Gene unintentionally wandered into Calista Carradine's bedroom and urinated. Many attending Gene's funeral believed David had shouted, "You fucked my daughter," but that was not the case. "Gene never fucked her," insists Jason. "I did. Gene never had anything to do with his daughter. They never had anything going on. Zero.

"If you ever saw the movie Missouri Breaks," Jason explains, "there's a scene where Brando walks in and grabs the guy in the casket and says, 'You sonofabitch! Why did you do this?! Why did you die!' And then he lets him go and he walks out of the chapel. I think that's what Carradine was trying to do. He's such an asshole."

Makes sense that this situation would involve a man who ended up dying of autoerotic asphyxiation mere months after the release of Crank: High Voltage, a film in which he plays a character named Poon Dong.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:05 pm

reuben wrote:even though he is full of opinions like this

“Back then I was on a mission, as far as I was concerned,” he recalls. “Music had taken a wrong turning back in 1967 when everybody got too stoned and got into funky jams. You know, just listen to the stuff Hendrix was doing in ’69 compared to the earlier stuff. People got too damned stoned and couldn’t be bothered to remember chord sequences and they ended getting the mightiest of blowjobs from the critical establishment for just riffing away for 10 minutes. It didn’t matter whether you were Jack Bruce or some stoners from Ladbroke Grove; you just turned your amps up and stood there and waffled!”

This part is really disheartening:

I love singing the songs off this record. When we got together the other night in Mexico, Peter [Buck] had gone to bed but we sat outside and we managed to play through all of the songs on acoustic guitar apart from ‘The Murder Mystery’.

Grow a pair, Robs.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Reading some more Quietus Baker's Dozen features.

The Tom Tom Club one is pretty hysterical:

Tina Weymouth wrote:I was hiding in a corner because I knew that if I partied and if I showed pleasure David Byrne would just give me hell the next show we did. He’s a very jealous guy and hated for anybody else to get any attention, especially me. So when Brian Wilson sat down I got up to leave because I thought “David’s really going to hate this”. Chris held my wrist and said “Tina, he wants to meet you”. So now I was going to have to endure any displeasure from David because I couldn’t possibly be rude to Brian Wilson. All he said was “Oh. You’ve cut your hair.” It was still pretty long. I said “Don’t you like it?” and that was pretty much the end of the conversation.

Chris Frantz wrote:I’d had my Beatles records and my Rolling Stones records and one of my friends there said “Beatles and The Stones? Those guys are GAY! You gotta listen to James Brown And The Four Tops and Smokey Robinson And The Miracles” and of course I still kept my enthusiasm for The Beatles and The Stones, but I broadened my horizon by getting into Motown.
    reuben

Post by reuben on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Poor Jerry Harrison. It sounds like he was stuck between two victims and an autistic cult leader.
    reuben

Post by reuben on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Now some guys like the flashy types

And some guys dig the ugly types

I'm no different from the rest

I love hips and legs and breasts

But strictly on a higher plane

What really turns me on's her brain

Smart girls, talkin' 'bout smart girls

Sexy legs with high IQs

Smart girls, I love the smart girls

You brainy babes with your attitudes

Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Steve Vai wrote:These guys all functioned on a different level, but Stravinsky…he had the biggest dick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:51 pm