college forever

chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 179

Re: college forever

Post by chrondog on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 pm

wp64 wrote:Actually, I don't know. How are we defining 'global market capitalism'. As it has been theorized it has nothing to fall back other than profit maximization. Obviously markets aren't self-regulating but that doesn't mean that the ideological debate isn't dominated by free-market ideologues that continue to maintain that blatant lie. Are you confusing the practice of Keynesianism with the ideology of the free market?

global market capitalism is a broad term to give some sense to the way that goods and services are exchanged across the world. it's 'global' because we are living in a world with increasingly free trade and lack of distinction between national borders in economic engagements. it's 'market' because goods and service prices are, generally, set by market forces such as supply and demand. it's 'capitalism' because goods and services are created and owned by capitalists who own private property and the means of production.

you are confusing the system of global market capitalism with economic theories that advocate a best way to regulate this system. Keynesian economics simply has certain assumptions about how changes in supply or demand affect the aggregate output of the economy. their assumptions and theories are different from those who advocate classical or Austrian economics. another group, you point out, are "free-market ideologues," or those who believe in laissez-faire capitalism. they believe that global market capitalism works most effectively when governments do not regulate the market. you should not conflate those who believe in laissez-faire capitalism with anyone who thinks that global market capitalism is a decent system (or one that is so fully entrenched that it shouldn't be scrapped).

i would agree with you that it is fairly obvious that markets are not self-regulating, but laissez-faire ideology has taken deep deep roots in America.

wp64 wrote:
    jasperness wrote:rehashing divisive ideological battles and "sticking to your principles" is actually bullshit.
    I can't tell if you're accusing me of doing this but I guess I tepidly agree with you. I know nothing of actual economics and have very casual familiarity the cannon of political economy. I'm not an analytical mind. Obviously the political atmosphere would benefit immensely from actual analysis of our social and economic realities and nothing is worse than ethically vacuous dogmatism. I'm not an expert but I think Marx's Capital is increasingly relevant to our contemporary situation. That's just a hunch though.

i was referring to American conservatives in this case. as both major American political parties are right-of-center in a global context, i find it easier to think of Republicans as the "ideological" party and Democrats as the "pragmatic" party.

i blew off a lot of the Das Kapital reading in my 19th Century Intellectual History class, but i agree with you that it does have lessons for people today, especially given peoples' attitudes post financial crash. despite referring to a completely different historical context than today, the way Marx talks about the devaluation of labor and his outlining of historical materialism provides fundamental insight into the way the value of work is constructed by social relations. you make me want to grab my Marx reader off the shelf. Marx is much less an economist and much more a fantastic and interesting historian.

note that I have only taken one economics class in my life and that was in the 12th grade. i did read Wealth of Nations when I was 16 though and it was one of the hardest things to get through I've ever read. still was much easier than when i tried to read The Bible that summer.

and full disclosure, my new job is at an economics research firm that focuses on natural resource and climate change policy, so i'm kind of being a douche.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 35
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 pm

jasperness wrote:i was referring to American conservatives in this case. as both major American political parties are right-of-center in a global context, i find it easier to think of Republicans as the "ideological" party and Democrats as the "pragmatic" party.
    That's actually a pretty spot-on and useful analysis.

jasperness wrote:i blew off a lot of the Das Kapital reading in my 19th Century Intellectual History class, but i agree with you that it does have lessons for people today, especially given peoples' attitudes post financial crash. despite referring to a completely different historical context than today, the way Marx talks about the devaluation of labor and his outlining of historical materialism provides fundamental insight into the way the value of work is constructed by social relations. you make me want to grab my Marx reader off the shelf. Marx is much less an economist and much more a fantastic and interesting historian.
    If you ever try reading Capital again you should watch the David Harvey lectures simultaneously. His project, as a human geographer, is interesting. He didn't pick up Marx until '68 and he continues to use it as a tool, amongst many others, to give theoretical context to our current historical condition.

What Marx reader do you have? The second edition of the Marx-Engels reader is basically the go-to guide.

Althusser, who I have been working on for a while, also has a really interesting approach to Marx/Marxism. He recognizes an 'epistemological break' in Marx's body of work around the time of The German Ideology. Everything prior to that is Marx writing as a humanist and dealing with the problems that have been furthered by Frankfurt bros like Adorno & Benjamin. Everything after is Marx working through an actual science (historical materialism) through an in-depth analysis of capitalism. Althusser also has a book on Reading Capital that could be worth checking out although he has a pretty unorthodox approach. He recommends skipping the first chapter entirely. Ultimately, he is trying to reach a purer interpretation of Marx that isn't bastardized by the humanism of Social Democrats and the dangerous praxis of Stalinism. It's also interesting because he is writing this stuff while being fairly active in the French Communist Party (although, admittedly never having much influence in the party platform).

Also, Foucault's relationship to Marx and French Marxism is very interesting (this could help: Polemics, Politics, and Problematizations).
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:54 pm

I don't really have anything to say to the first half of your post, Jasper. Other than admitting that I totally fall into generalities that you are right to refute and correct.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 am

wp64 wrote:The second edition of the Marx-Engels reader is basically the go-to guide.

that's the one i have. i will probably go back and read Marx's Theses of Feuerbach sometime tonight. that's a piece i really like.

Althusser, who I have been working on for a while, also has a really interesting approach to Marx/Marxism. He recognizes an 'epistemological break' in Marx's body of work around the time of The German Ideology. Everything prior to that is Marx writing as a humanist and dealing with the problems that have been furthered by Frankfurt bros like Adorno & Benjamin. Everything after is Marx working through an actual science (historical materialism) through an in-depth analysis of capitalism.[/quote]

i believe my professor agreed with that notion of an epistemological break. you could even say that Das Kapital itself was another break, as its style is radically different than anything Marx wrote before it. it gets painfully technical in the way Marx gets ultra-specific in his analysis of the particular economic realities in the period he was writing in. some of that stuff is basically unreadable and horribly dated.

the piece i've engaged with the most is actually The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte which is a fascinating historical analysis that i disagree with a lot. you can read i here: http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1850/class-struggles-france/. in particular, his ghost metaphor and references to the "ghosts of the past" a real influence on contemporary social reforms is an idea that i think about and wrestle with frequently.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 am

wp64 wrote:Also, Foucault's relationship to Marx and French Marxism is very interesting (this could help: Polemics, Politics, and Problematizations).

i will read this more in depth as well because dialectics rules and polemics drools
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm in the process of moving all my shit to a new two bedroom apartment on Montrose & Racine. Pretty big pain in my ass.
    Nick
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 584

Post by Nick on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Can you provide the address so the board can rotate sabotaging your internet connection?
    Ned Braden
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 495
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Been aggressively blowing off a big research paper to focus on more pressing work issues. 2nd straight snow day in Norfolk looming, and I feel like Bart Simpson taking advantage of divine intervention.
    bumpin Science!
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Those are my favorite kind of stories. I had a snow day this year the day after the Super Bowl! There probably isn't a more liberating feeling.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:56 pm

I walked into a red line train today and there was a ginger male reading "Zizek's Ontology." My immediate reaction was to give that dude a swirlie. I had kind of a similar reaction the first time I met Tom Krell (How to Dress Well). Like, are these fucking dorks kidding me?
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 321
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Ҩ wrote:a ginger

Can we not with this?

Directed more toward American culture than anyone in particular.
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Never understood the hate leveled at red-haired folk. Seems like a form of bigotry that's somehow still socially acceptable.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:31 pm

I mean we could be stealing socialized medicine or quality public broadcasting from the Brits, but this crap?
    undo

Pizzas : 398

Post by undo on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I've never dug too deep into this topic but I believe that most Americas who use that word as an edgy/ironic slur were introduced to it by South Park.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm pretty sure you're right.

There's also a renowned viral YouTube video in which the word is used.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

undo wrote:I've never dug too deep into this topic but I believe that most Americas who use that word as an edgy/ironic slur were introduced to it by South Park.

Jesus, this makes so much sense.

Definitely glad I turned my back on this crap like 15 years ago.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 am

Oh, well, I guess they're related and it's all South Park...never mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kittrell

Need to brush up on the meme canon. study
    Soma
    Stolen Bulldozer

Pizzas : 190

Post by Soma on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:46 am

'Slur'?

Haha, it's just the generic term for someone with red hair.
    undo

Post by undo on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm

All I hear whereever I go is like blah blah I was like literally on Snapchat last night blah blah blah oh my God I Snapchatted you last night blah blah We texted each other at the same time it was hilarious!
    undo

Post by undo on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Girl next to me (not talking) is drawing Starfox on her laptop.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    In-character Poster

Pizzas : 241
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:42 pm

it is important that she is not talking?
    undo

Post by undo on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:11 am

It is but it would take too long to explain why.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm

So close to being done with this stuff. Maybe forever unless I wanna start phding or lawyering some day.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Ҩ wrote:Godspeed, Ned! Fuck term papers!

Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it.

fuck. thanks man. battling.
    mang aw hellz yeah Yer makin me MAAD disgustedatrightwing gotchagamin lol!
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 pm

researching lulz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm