Re: college forever

Post by reuben on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:55 pm

You can play most of that after about a month of practice,
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 pm

wp64 wrote:I don't want to learn by doing bullshit chord progressions or playing the blues.

You're in luck because the whole thing revolves around one note/chord, pretty much.

The leadwork is rooted in the blues, I'm afraid. As that of most any guitarist is.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 am

Seems like he's playing a main riff that's basically one note. Then he'll do some lead shit higher up but it's usually just a couple notes or a bent note or something. Then when he gets into more melodic "shredding," it's still based on a pretty standard minor blues type scale thing.

Dwyer seems to hold it down as a guitarist/bandleader, in that his ability to do a few different things on his instrument determines whether anything "happens" throughout these repetitive one chord rock jams. That description could apply to a ton of other great musicians throughout history, as well. Obviously his "updated" take involves scaling it all down to something bare bones and minimal until he's a shredder who barely even shreds. I suppose that's what a modern-day indie guitar hero is these days.

If you only know a few things about the instrument, you could probably learn some Thee Oh Sees riffs. And then being able to fire off tasty licks, no matter how "technically challenging" they are, all comes down to confidence in your decision to play whatever you're playing at a given time, to the point where it's just intuitive. A big part of that involves playing along with records for long stretches of time...preferably slow, drawn-out shit that you can comfortably jam over.

You just gotta have a guitar around all the time and let it replace some of the time spent dicking around doing whatever the fuck else.

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 am

Awesome. I have an old Epiphone SG laying around my house collecting dust. I used to always just get frustrated with it and quit after a few weeks. I think something that always bothered me is that when I was playing I was never generating a good sound. I never had even close to a decent amplifier and don't know the first thing about pedals, humbuckers, and whatever else.

How important is that stuff to just get going? Did you find yourself ever getting frustrated because even if you were playing something correctly it never even sounded close to the way it would on the record? Is there a cheap, easy way to get around that problem.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 am

Not really. Awesome gear will not make you sound awesome. Being able to play out of a decent amp that you can crank is a great thing, of course. But being tied to a way of thinking that involves some variation on "maybe I'd suck less if I had better equipment" is a big reason why there are so many people out there who are more obsessed with thinking about the gear/technique that they don't have rather than playing because they enjoy it. These people are often quitters. It's all in your head, basically.

Last edited by Paves on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ted Falconi
    Hot For Pizza

Pizzas : 271

Post by Ted Falconi on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

Do they still make Gorilla amps? That's all you need to sound good.

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Bad ass, thanks. My goal is to be able to play along to Coachwhips' Bangers vs Fuckers before next school year.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 324
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am

Paves wrote:Only advice I have that doesn't involve time travel is "start, keep doing it, and don't stop."
    Pretty good advice for anything really.
    Ned Braden
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 503
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 pm

This was a pretty decent submission for a college 2013 assignment, if I do say so myself:

The numerous problems faced by the US in the current world order are certainly not unprecedented, and both Kagan and Zakaria agree on this point. Perhaps I’m just suffering from lack of hindsight, but maybe the other western nations of that era were more forgiving of American missteps knowing that Uncle Sam was the only thing standing between them and the evil Soviets. Once Ivan Drago was no longer a threat, Rocky became irrelevant, and… something something… Don King… end of boxing and the rise of the new MMA order.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:17 pm

I can't think of anything that I hate more than MMA fighting.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Violence in schools?
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Actually, that sarcasm was probably unnecessary. The worst thing about MMA is obviously college kids.
    chrondog

Pizzas : 194

Post by chrondog on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 am

a few days ago i found this paragraph i posted on my own Facebook status over a year ago. it's from a paper i don't remember writing

If 17th century New Spain was not, as its ethnic, religious and economic cooperation suggests, a rigid caste system, what was it? Douglas Cope sees culture as a “contested terrain” in which elite and popular taste and practice mingle to form a “social reality.”1 In this model, elite ideologies such as the Two Republic model and the sistema de castas were important, but filtered through the understanding of plebeian individuals that made them less oppressive and more utilitarian. Matt O'Hara suggests the term calidad as a signifier of “social race,” determined through “socially dense, hybrid categories and labels that combined elements of race, ethnicity, and class.”2 Combining both perspectives, we arrive at a fairly workable model; on the cultural battlefield, elite Spaniards propagated top down ideologies such as the Two Republics and sistema, which we interpreted and contextualized by non-elites as calidad, more in line with their social experiences. This process is particularly interesting as applied to the development of a New Spanish faith community by the late 17th century. Serge Gruzinski describes this interplay between elite and popular religion as the “colonisation de l'imaginaire,” by which, over decades, the cultural headspaces of native and Iberian peoples, so markedly different when Cortes arrived in 1521, had become united under a multicultural Catholic framework that was unique to the Americas.3 That the peninsular political elite of New Spain failed to acknowledge the strength of this faith community contributed to the social upheaval that brought independence to Mexico in the 19th century.

man i wish i was in school again sometimes
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 pm

tl;dr

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 am

I was sitting in my "On Revolution" course today and my professor went on a tangent about how gorgeous Stalin was in his younger days. He then asked that everyone look up "Young Stalin" and went off about how he would follow that man into battle.

My whole reality trembled as I wondered if that guy was possibly YSG. Even as I write this I almost expect for my professor to reveal his YSG alias or something. Fucking crazy and hilarious.
    reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 600

Post by reuben on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 am

I think it's time we do something with this banner.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 324
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 am

Been making vague plans in the back of my mind to do just that but I am superlazy so go wild.
    reuben

Post by reuben on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 am

I had intentions to make a Yancy's Secret Giardiniera banner but I just can't find the right picture.
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 598

Post by Nick on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 pm

I have zero design skills but would like something with less color.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Love the new color scheme and am glad I post on a forum that values feedback.
    reuben

Post by reuben on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 pm

howyadoin
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 338

Post by yancy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm

BTW, if anyone else wants a turn at banner fame, I'm certainly not offended. Reuben's House of Legos, The Coyote Den, Roger Mexico's Pedant Parade, what have you.

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 am

Some people I know came down this weekend to visit. Shit was fucking miserable. I'll post about it later when I am less exhausted and can make better sense of how shitty of a time the last 72 hours really were.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 am

Standing in security at the airport with a bunch of cute college girls going on spring break has a dude feeling old as fuck.
    Soma
    Probably a fake Vinyl Cape Jawa

Pizzas : 197

Post by Soma on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am