Futebol

Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 624

Futebol

Post by Nick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Parked in front of the television all day.

Watched Chelsea vs. Man City, now the League Cup Final and later PSG vs. Marseille. Probably watch the Atletico Madrid vs. Espanyol match too.

bumpin

Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 444

Re: Futebol

Post by Bruegel on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

not forgetting the derby della madonnina

been interspersing last nights UFC with todays offerings (and roast beef preparations)

I love Sundays

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Currently turned into the Milan derby. Not a satisfying result so far.

You can barely see the players through the fog. Mad

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 pm

SCHELOTTO!!!

This goal had me crying for the last 20 minutes of the derby. My grandfather passed away a year ago from this past Thursday. The only thing more important to him than the Nerazzurri was his family -- his wife, children, and especially his grandchildren. I'll never forget the way he would react to these games, constantly on his feet yelling Italian curses at his television screen.

It was unbelievably special to share his passion for Inter Milan soccer with him for the last several years of his long life. I miss him terribly. I'm not a religious man, but I know he'd be happy with the result. Since his death, Inter has never lost a Milan derby. RIP.
    Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Surprisingly non-douchey post from WP.

Thought the constant shots of Beckham on the bench were a bit ridiculous. And I say that as a Beckham defender. PSG look like the type of side that can dominate a league in France but will get picked apart by most other big clubs.
    chrondog
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 221

Post by chrondog on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Nick wrote:PSG look like the type of side that can dominate a league in France

they can't even really do this.

PSG has too many players that don't complement each other in attack. Pastore wants to play behind the striker and play the ball forward, Menez wants to cut in from the flank, Lavezzi wants to run in behind and pull the ball back and Ibra wants to drop deep and collect the ball to distribute it to the flanks. they have trouble playing Pastore and Ibrahimovic together. Lavezzi is inconsistent and dribbles too much.

ideally they would get rid of an attacking option like Nene, Pastore or Gameiro and upgrade Matuidi or Chantome in central midfield, who are both competent if unspectacular CMs.

Sahko and Silva are pretty fucking beastly as a CB pairing, but their fullbacks are pretty flimsy and offer more going forward than in defense. that's a huge concern when you don't have a lot of defensive minded midfield options. i haven't watched a lot of PSG this season but i hope Verratti becomes more of a focal point of their team in the future. Pastore has been a major bust.

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Chrono, are you thinking of doing something with sports journalism?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am

i believe that society compels many of us to seek fame and recognition. that's one reason i definitely have an interest working in the media or entertainment fields. i feel like i have my own voice, a reasonable perspective, and know how to communicate it.

on the other hand, sports journalism is vile and stupid. like other niche journalism, people on the inside lack perspective and are unable to place sports or sports issues in their proper context in society. journalism in general is more business than art. as such, it is less about truth telling and exposing people to new ways of thinking and more about driving narrative and page views. what interests me about sports journalism is how sport is a prism through which we can analyze and understand other aspects of the human experience and society, as well as how the structure or rules of sport give us a framework for rigorous analysis and projection that we can apply to other fields. this constitutes very little of the actual "sports journalism" field as it exists today and basically zero of the mainstream voices.

i really don't have an interest in grinding my way to the top of a structurally flawed industry that promotes sensationalism and hysteria over good ideas when sports aren't really important in the grand scheme of things anyway. even though i love them and dedicate much of my life to them.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 am

Certainly the Michael Cox's (http://www.zonalmarking.net/) and the Zach Lowe's (http://www.grantland.com/contributor/_/name/zach-lowe) and even the Nate Silver's of the world give me hope that "boringly written", straightforward analysis that relies of statistics and explanation of game sequences will become the norm, but i don't think so. people that are interested in that type of writing are a niche audience. for most people, sports are just another form of psychodrama that you just react to but never analyze.

i wish, for example, that we used the way we talk about sports to teach us better and more reasonable ways to look at our politics. your know how this could help people from your own life. people that argue about sports in illogical and half-baked ways also lack the skills to make informed decisions about politics or money. rational thinking does not exist in a vacuum.
    Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 am

Ronaldo looked in great shape in Paris today. Probably the best he has looked in years. Kind of weird though that Leanardo is using his position to honor Brazilians in pre-match bullshit.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 am

Ronaldo was on Brazil's version of The Biggest Loser called Fantastico last year

the AMAZING RESULTS below:

Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 am

Jasper - Did you see that movie where Matt Damon plays a rugby star because your posts read like a contributor to that film.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am

whatever the name of that Nelson Mandela rugby movie is, I haven't seen it
    Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow. Benitez has snapped. He's taking shots at Chelsea fans & at the Chelsea board!

Roman is going to see this and fire him on the spot.
    Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Hoping Real Madrid keep this form going and take United apart. Mourinho in the CL at Old Trafford is usually epic stuff.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 pm

somehow I think United's offensive options are still underrated. it has to be the best in Europe with Sanchez and Villa out of form for Barça and Real pretty confused aside from Ronaldo.

Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, RvP, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez. Just wow.
    Nick
    President Trump

Post by Nick on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Fergie's press conference is going to be something else...
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 am

most people will have seen this since it's everywhere, but what an advertisement for Watford FC

chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am

if people freak out about this "tackle" being a red card, why do we even have red cards?

i'm not sure how many things could be more dangerous than blindly trying to drop kick the ball with your studs above your shoulders
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 444

Post by Bruegel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 am

a lot of the confusion with incidents like that stem from people misinterpreting them as "dangerous play" (which involves no contact and is cautionable if it contains "obvious risk").

this incident involves contact so the ref has deemed it as either "serious foul play" or "violent conduct".

still debatable but not a misapplication of the rules as many are claiming.
    phixed
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 47

Post by phixed on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 am

I think the best part of yesterday's game was reading this tweet:

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 pm

It was enjoyable watching Chelsea lose today. I even enjoyed watching the Inter game, despite the loss. Gareth Bale is in absolutely unbelievable form.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 am

over this last run of games, even though he's had the goals, i don't think Gareth Bale really took a sudden, "huge leap" that the narrative is projecting on him. he's been uncharacteristically (given his career history) consistent over this 10 match unbeaten stretch or whatever it is, but he always had those incredible goals in him.

the difference to me is:

a.) the team cohesion. AVB finally has had more than half a season to impose his progressive tactics on the squad and players he stuck with are paying dividends. Sigurdsson and Vertonghen are playing their best football now after periods of inconsistency. Scotty Parker is back performing. Dembele has found a role. Kyle Walker is a consistent, international-quality player now. the quality of this Spurs team is giving Bale more freedom.

b.) fitness! he's not a little boy anymore and now we'll get to see him galloping through midfield more than once every four matches. it takes a few years at the top level for a player to establish the body to grind for 90 minutes every week.

as an Arsenal fan, i was really upset when Chelsea fired AVB and let him go to Tottenham because when he came out of Portugal he was by far the most interesting coach in Europe to me and i love his personal and footballing style. i know Arsenal don't always play a traditional 4-3-3, but they basically play variations on that every game and Arsene admits he doesn't emphasize tactics from match to match. i just don't think you can get by at the top level without a manager who is really in love with that level of detail. Arsenal is too much "set it and forget it" with a simple system so that the players can "play freely". i think it's a model that is fading. Villas-Boas is only going to get better and i think he's going to make Spurs a force.

i will also take this time to note that Gareth Bale's six month old daughter is named Alba Violet Bale.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 am

Bruegel wrote:a lot of the confusion with incidents like that stem from people misinterpreting them as "dangerous play" (which involves no contact and is cautionable if it contains "obvious risk").

this incident involves contact so the ref has deemed it as either "serious foul play" or "violent conduct".

still debatable but not a misapplication of the rules as many are claiming.

you're spot on, of course. dangerous wasn't the word i should have used.

i am in favor of trying to discourage players from raising their boots outrageously high to control aerial balls when they can't see what's around them. Nani should have let the ball hit the ground or controlled it low to the ground. that type of play is fundamentally unsafe and unnecessary.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 74
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 am

A lot of nonsense on the Nani red card with the word intent used. Intent isn't in the rule. Was harsh but not like it was the worst officiating in the world like some hysterical Man Utd fans seem to think.

Be great to see Chrono move into data based football journalism. Really enjoy the likes of Chris Glover and Zach Slat on etc. Think that were I five years younger I'd have been moving in that direction rather than what I'm doing now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content