19 posters

Futebol

Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Futebol - Page 5 Empty Re: Futebol

Post by Bruegel Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

they should be putting the Europa below the league cup in terms of priorities next season if they want to get back in the CL.

i'd be fielding the U16s.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Bruegel wrote:oh, they gave a shit. they just thought a low tempo match would get them over the line. and they were proved right. just.

fair. i just thought they would've picked key moments to go uptempo and try and get one goal. end of the first half/beginning of the second half i expected some quick passing for sure.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 am

Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

^ lol

it was still actually an illegal corner because you can't determine if there are multiple contacts when he flicks it up

they outlawed addressing the ball like that from set-pieces after Willie Carr/Ernie Hunt's famous 'Donkey Kick' for Coventry in 1970:

the initial edit misses it but you can clearly see it in the replay.

In 1970 Coventry scored one of the most famous goals in the history of the game. In their home game against Everton F.C., City were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Toffees' penalty area. Willie Carr proceeded to grip the ball between his ankles before flicking it up into the air behind him for Ernie Hunt to volley it over a bewildered Everton wall and into the top corner. Though the 'Donkey kick' was allowed to stand, the FA banned the technique on the grounds that it constituted a 'double-touch' of the ball. Aside from changing the laws of the game, the goal also won the Match of the Day 'Goal of the Season' competition.

that was later extended to include single foot flicks because of doubt over "continuous contact"

would love to see some more footage from that Kazakh game. long gone are the days that they would allow play in those conditions in most professional leagues. fair enough i suppose but a great loss to the low comedy tradition of farce.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 pm

you can still flick the ball up yourself after a touch from a team mate, obvs. see 4:00 in this vid about Le Tis:

worth spending a few hours watching Le Tissier youtubes, if you are not acquainted (or even if you are)
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm

reuben wrote:Jasper I'm not trying to rip on you, but I think that when you use words like "obviously," "to be sure," "certainly," "always," etc., you come off as a more of a self-proclaimed expert than you might intend to.

I really miss out on a lot of insightful shit by not opening sports threads, huh!
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

That isn't sarcasm, btw.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Or maybe it is. No idea, really.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm

I didn't think it was at first but now I am starting to have my doubts.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Now I'm remembering why I don't open sports threads.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Nick wrote:Jasper - I did not neg your posts and enjoy your contributions as one of the few soccer fans on the board. I'd ask that you stop with the neg attack. This outburst seems beneath you and is a bit surprising.

While I'm here, let me just give some propz to this post from "the Nick persona," the wording of which amuses me greatly.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 am

Bruegs, what a crazy finish in the Magpies vs. Makhachkala game today huh?

Anzhi play some pretty attractive football. I've been wanting to see some of their games and this was a good chance. Would watch again. Les Geordies have some great flair too. Marveaux turning out to be quite the player (sometimes). I wish Cabaye wasn't so fragile.

I liked the quotes from Guus after the game, too.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 am

Love watching Le Toon atm. Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh when I visit my bro next month. Gonna take my little Geordie nephew (Alfie) to the Fulham game. Might even let him have a cheeky glass of French vimto.

Spurs match last night was hilarious. Loved how both sets of players were equally wtf at the final whistle.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 am

i must have been smoking some pretty potent shit last night because i'm sure i saw a 40-year-old Argentinian dude beat Aaron Lennon in a foot race on at least two occasions.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Malaga v Dortmund
    Real Madrid v Galatasaray
    PSG v Barca
    Bayern v Juve

Still think Real, Bayern or Juve can stop Barca.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Also think Dortmund could on a good day for them, bad day for Barcelona.

I would expect Spurs and Chelsea to finish on roughly the same points, I don't think Arsenal will have a shot at 4th on the last day.

This time next month, Gills hopefully will be up!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Bruegel wrote:Spurs match last night was hilarious. Loved how both sets of players were equally wtf at the final whistle.
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/4228?cc=5901
    Pretty good read on the Inter Milan season thus far. I really hope they can somehow qualify for the Champion's League next year. They need to fire Marco Branca after these consecutive terrible transfer windows. I guess it isn't that surprising that they did not have a competent lead striker in case Milito went down, but they are going to pay for that now.

Walter Samuel should be back for Sunday's match-up against Sampdoria, which should help out Handanovic and the defense. Someone is going to have to step up though if they want to close the 4-point gap between them and the current Champions League qualifiers. Maybe Ricky Alvarez? Oh, and it sort of goes without saying but Zanetti and Cambiasso need to maintain their always excellent form.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Futebol - Page 5 Soccerwi
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:28 pm

The US match was entertaining because of the snow but I have zero confidence in this team. I think they will have to fight just to get the second qualifying spot. Mexico is going to take them apart.

I could see them losing all 3 group matches in Brazil regardless of the draw. This team is the culmination of years of failure to develop youth players and successfully produce any talent in the domestic league that can translate to the international stage.

The mentality of "They are the USA, they are supposed to suck at soccer" would have passed in the 90s. But at this point the national team is an embarrassment and Major League Soccer ranks somewhere between domestic leagues in Wales and South Africa.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:42 am

Nick wrote:Major League Soccer ranks somewhere between domestic leagues in Wales and South Africa.

i don't think most people even know this, which is a huge problem. people think MLS is "on the right track" just because they're starting to televise Dynamo vs Sounders games on ESPN that no one watches.

Nick wrote:This team is the culmination of years of failure to develop youth players and successfully produce any talent in the domestic league that can translate to the international stage.

this is why i hate assholes like Bruce Arena sniping from the outside trying to delegitimize any building process. we needed to drop the whole "win now AND develop players!" fantasy years ago and stop insisting that this team win a single damn game until this qualifying stage. instead we hyped up friendlies against Italy and Belgium and are still talking about Landon Donovan's nonsense.

Last edited by jasperness on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Klinnsman era is going to take a big step towards coming to an end tonight. I'm predicting a 4 - 0 win with a Chicharito brace.

This US team is in trouble and a Mexican side that is struggling themselves will exploit that.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Chicarito has been unheralded for Manchester United this season, but I think he's having a pretty good campaign. Maybe I'm just missing the wrong matches.

I don't think the letdown of playing Costa Rica in the snow was a good warm up for this match and I also fully expect us to get clobbered down the wings.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am

Guess my prediction was off! Better result for the US than Mexico, obviously.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Giovani Dos Santos is absolutely terrible and he's exactly the kind of inconsistent, overconfident player that derails the entire Mexican side. seems to me like there's a lot of pressure within Mexico to stuff the team with flare players and "stars" at the expense of quality. that would explain their run of three bad draws in a row. they didn't look good at all last night.

U.S. looks like they don't have any chance of scoring against a respectable side. the build up is very very slow and our forwards aren't technical enough for the one-twos needed to break into the penalty area. Dempsey is not on form coming back from injury. i see how Hercules Gomez is the best option right now because of his work rate, but the forward of the future for 2014 doesn't seem to be on the field right now. and i don't think Landon Donovan is the missing piece either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content