Futebol

Re: Futebol

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:59 pm

International break over. Arsenal wins big against Reading. Chelsea loses and John Terry produces one of the best (or maybe worst) soccer gifs of the year. Inter get predictably dropped by Juve. And Bayern Munich goes off for 9 goals in their match today.

Looking forward to the first leg of the Champions League quarters this week & the Man U v Chelsea replay in the FA Cup quarterfinals. Winner faces Man City.

Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 604

Post by Nick on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:51 pm

This is my favorite time of the season. Champions League quarters, FA Cup usually has a compelling match up and the relegation fight is on.

The title races are basically over in all the top leagues and I'm not enough of a football hipster to care about anything other than England, Spain, Italy & Germany.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 72
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Ah Promotion after three seasons in shitty League Two. Look out Crewe, Coventry, Preston etc
    chrondog
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 200

Post by chrondog on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Arsenal's passing statistics after Mertesacker was sent off today:

some great points were earned today
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:22 pm

i'll be rooting for Crewe in the Football League Trophy final tomorrow.

the League One table looks pretty interesting these days too. as for the Championship, really hoping Forest can stay in the playoff spots and pull off the miraculous. Watford are a crock!
    Nick

Post by Nick on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 pm

I know Barca have weaknesses this season that a top squad could exploit but damn if Bayern didn't look like the Club of the Future last night.

I'm more excited for the match today. I think Real will win but it will be a tight contest over both legs.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Lewan-WOW-ski!
    Nick

Post by Nick on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

So much for my prediction on that one!
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Do you guys watch a lot of these fan-made YouTube highlight reels?

I love them (and their Eurotechno soundtracks). Gundogan is a really neat little player. I love the way he makes tackles by turning his back to players and just plucking the ball out of their feet. Apparently he was immense against Real yesterday. I love deep-lying playmakers with a passing range like his. Marco Verratti excites me for similar reasons.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Bruegel, what's your summer transfer want-list for Arsenal? i purposely don't say "wish-list" because i would like us to target some players this summer that actually fit our wage-structure and will actually sign for the club.

Jovetic is my number 1 and i'm hoping he won't sign for City. i am surprised to hear Gonalons talk. i don't know his game well enough to know if he's the kind of midfield "destroyer" that we need. a first-choice competitor for Szczesny would be nice. talks of a cut-price deal for Loic Remy are pretty nice, but if it wasn't such a bargain i'm not sure he's the kind of the striker this team needs - he's a little cutesy and we already have a lot of that.

feels optimistic to expect 3-4 signings though.
    Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

if I didn't love Dortmund I'd be all for a Hummels, Gundogan, Reus triple pillage but they are about as high in my affections as Arsenal so I don't want that. Bayern will buy them all eventually anyway.

I think the straight stopper role is effectively defunct in the elite level modern game so if I could pick a dream/vaguely realistic dynamic midfielder Id probably plump for a premier league tried and tested option such as Fellaini - largely because I love the man. I presume the big dogs are already sniffing around Wanyama's arse so he's out of the equation unless Britain's richest man is given the all clear to get out the big guns.

Jovetic would be nice and I'd take a bargain Remy.

They'll probably end up buying slight variations on what we already have such as Juan Arango. Don't get me wrong I really rate the guy but its not exactly what we lack. Plus he's 32.

Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 7:57 pm

lol....if you put the surname of any of the players we just named into google 'arsenal' is the top suggested search

a lot of desperate googling gooners out there
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Bruegel wrote:if I didn't love Dortmund I'd be all for a Hummels, Gundogan, Reus triple pillage but they are about as high in my affections as Arsenal so I don't want that. Bayern will buy them all eventually anyway.

i don't even really put those Dortmund players on the radar because as you're saying they're all going to Bayern in the next few years. don't know why Reus didn't sign for them last summer (they say he wanted to play alongside Goetze, lol). if we could get all three of those players for 50 million pounds i still think that would be a steal.

Bruegel wrote:I think the straight stopper role is effectively defunct in the elite level modern game so if I could pick a dream/vaguely realistic dynamic midfielder Id probably plump for a premier league tried and tested option such as Fellaini - largely because I love the man. I presume the big dogs are already sniffing around Wanyama's arse so he's out of the equation unless Britain's richest man is given the all clear to get out the big guns.

i agree about straight stoppers being squeezed out of the game (look at the very limited uses of John Obi Mikel at this point), but i think i would like us to at least get a dynamic midfielder that emphasizes tackling over getting forward. i think we have been satisfied with a player like Arteta who is a distributor first and a makeshift tackler second. i think it would be nice to buy a player who can flip that.

Bruegel wrote:Jovetic would be nice and I'd take a bargain Remy.

They'll probably end up buying slight variations on what we already have such as Juan Arango. Don't get me wrong I really rate the guy but its not exactly what we lack. Plus he's 32.

Wenger loves buying number 10s and CAMs and throwing them on the wing which works better in FIFA than it seems to in the premier league. anything but that this summer would be great. if we had a true winger that wasn't a little shithead like Walcott that would help a lot.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Bruegel wrote:a lot of desperate googling gooners out there

Razz

if we go top 4 this year i will consider it an excellent season in all honesty. i understand having high expectations and whatnot but i think it's reasonable to contextualize the club as a second-tier club behind the first-tier of moneybaggers because of the wage structure. blowing your load on 200,000 pound/week players is the only way to be top class anymore and i understand why the club doesn't want to get into that bullshit.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

best video:

Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Walcott has 13 PL goals and 11 assists this season - imagine if he had a shred of decision making

A big factor in the Reus move was the fact that he's from Dortmund. Some clown at the club said he wasn't big enough so they let him go.....costly fuck up.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Bruegel wrote:Walcott has 13 PL goals and 11 assists this season - imagine if he had a shred of decision making

he truly has racked up a massive amount of stats this year against cup sides and bottom table squads.

he's certainly still worth having at the club but i haven't seen a shred of improvement in said decision making in the last four years. he also doesn't know how to get himself involved in the game when he doesn't have the ball. he leaves our defenders on an island, is constantly drifting offside and checking out mentally so when he does receive the ball he does nothing with it 75% of the time.

i'm too harsh on him but he's an infinitely frustrating player. i feel like Zaha at United is going to eclipse him in a year or two and show Walcott what he could have been.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 pm

jasperness wrote:

if we go top 4 this year i will consider it an excellent season in all honesty.
    this is my expectation every season. top four constitutes success within these parameters. I am a realist.

he will have to spend more than last summer to repeat the feat next season though, taking into account the inevitable improvements elsewhere.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 8:28 pm

don't get me wrong, Walcott is extremely important for arsenal and there has been improvement but not to an extent that would suggests he will ever get close to fully realising those natural resources.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sat May 04, 2013 8:29 pm

said the Bass Player from Creepy D
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Bruegel wrote:this is my expectation every season. top four constitutes success within these parameters. I am a realist.

he will have to spend more than last summer to repeat the feat next season though, taking into account the inevitable improvements elsewhere.

Cool realist Gooners for life

everyone is certainly getting better around us. i still love AVB and everything he has done. Spurs are not afraid to splash some cash. Chelsea will probably be phenomenal next year and get second or third. even Liverpool have a chance to be very interesting next season.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 pm

If Coutinho can hold up physically for an entire season I think Liverpool will be an actual contender to get back into the top four. Rather, than a mid-table mediocrity with a headcase for a striker.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Sun May 05, 2013 4:21 am

Chelsea and Man City will spend a fortune this summer. There's always a binge when the new TV deals are agreed and this new one is fucking enormous.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 am

I fully support Man Utd hiring Moyes because I think it would be great to see him guide te club to Europa League success.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 pm

I wouldn't put money on them winning the league next year, that's for sure.

However, how long into next season will the bring back Fergie bandwagon start?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content