Futebol

chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 179

Re: Futebol

Post by chrondog on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 pm

Pete Best wrote:A lot of nonsense on the Nani red card with the word intent used. Intent isn't in the rule. Was harsh but not like it was the worst officiating in the world like some hysterical Man Utd fans seem to think.

i think most smart fans know that "intent" is not in the letter of the law. that's what makes discussion of referee decisions so strange. everyone is just yelling past one another and never looking to the rulebook. i wish more journos and pundits were explicit in informing the public of rules like that.

Pete Best wrote:Be great to see Chrono move into data based football journalism. Really enjoy the likes of Chris Glover and Zach Slat on etc. Think that were I five years younger I'd have been moving in that direction rather than what I'm doing now.

i don't have a strong stats background but i feel generally competent enough to work with and digest some amount of data along with my viewing. i'm liking Chris Glover's looking at it right now, but maybe a few too many charts and not enough text. if i had a more positive and less cynical relationship with journalism growing up i think i would be much closer to a career in reporting/writing. as is i couldn't see myself getting into sports in some manner until much later in life.
    Nick
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 581

Post by Nick on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Spurs vs Liverpool is an entertaining match right now. Downing had looked good the past few matches.
    Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:56 pm

yeah, i really enjoyed that. was still fully expecting Bale to produce something in injury time.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 pm

It felt like either team could score on every attack because of Suarez and Bale. That final free kick Bale took from long range was so close too.
    Ned Braden
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 495
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:07 pm

I enjoy this sport and everything on a game to game basis, but as an American the only thing standing between me and real fandom is the confusion of all these different leagues and trophies. Say what you will about the popular American sports, but at the end of the year, you know who the champion was in those leagues. In the futbol you have premiere leagues and champions leagues and Carling cups and all sorts of crazy shit. Feels like the season never ends with a winner. I think this is the real reason it's never taken hold in the states, not because of some Klosterman cultural divide bullshit that supposedly makes it an inherently inferior sport.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Go Arsenal I guess.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Say what you will about the popular American sports, but at the end of the year, you know who the champion was in those leagues. In the futbol you have premiere leagues and champions leagues and Carling cups and all sorts of crazy shit. Feels like the season never ends with a winner. I think this is the real reason it's never taken hold in the states, not because of some Klosterman cultural divide bullshit that supposedly makes it an inherently inferior sport.

Major League Soccer has a playoff system by which the regular season simply seeds teams for a playoff tournament. it's incredibly stupid and one reason the league will continue to have trouble generating interest in its regular season.

obviously soccer is deeply woven into the fabric of the culture and history of many nations and the fact it is so easy to pick up a ball and play has pushed it deep into impoverished areas. Americans simply have a harder time connecting to that regional/historical element of soccer because it's not how we understand our sports and we're not a part of the legacy of the game.

anyways, soccer can never be popular while American football exists. we only have one weekend.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:04 am

I can't think of something less interesting than regular season MLS. The league has come a long way but is still kind of a joke. When guys are going to places like Norway or Denmark to get paid more and face tougher competition you aren't exactly a serious league.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 pm

i'm just gonna neg every post in this thread from now on. thank you to whoever.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Can't believe you negged my "go Arsenal" post. Shit's just cold. Like if Reuben negged me for posting a sweet photo of Daniel Alfredsson's hair.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 pm

i don't get it. did i miss something? why are you negging everyone?
    reuben

Pizzas : 589

Post by reuben on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Can't believe you negged my "go Arsenal" post. Shit's just cold. Like if Reuben negged me for posting a sweet photo of Daniel Alfredsson's hair.
    If I ever did this I'd like one of you to have me 5150'd.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 pm

i'd watch your dog, bro.

and refrain from taking it to dinner parties.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:17 pm

pozzed every post in this thread. don't want the beautiful game associated with all this negativity.
    reuben

Pizzas : 589

Post by reuben on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

And I pozzed you for taking care of my imaginary dog after I get sectioned.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm

reuben wrote: imaginary dog
    ironically, something you could probably get sectioned for

unless its black and you're a great wartime leader
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Ned Braden wrote:Can't believe you negged my "go Arsenal" post. Shit's just cold. Like if Reuben negged me for posting a sweet photo of Daniel Alfredsson's hair.

blame someone else for bringing the negativity

no one even posts in this thread and motherfuckers have the audacity to neg my innocuous posts like its 2010

kill yourself, whoever it was
    Nick

Post by Nick on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Jasper - I did not neg your posts and enjoy your contributions as one of the few soccer fans on the board. I'd ask that you stop with the neg attack. This outburst seems beneath you and is a bit surprising.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm

yeah, I'd never neg an earnest contribution to this thread but jasper is now heading into massive bleeding vagina territory
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

when have i ever not been in "massive bleeding vagina territory" to you guys?

just trying to make my distaste for a phantom negger/presumed shitty poster known so that this board isn't 100% Zappo posts about hanging out with insane people

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Your actions in this thread are way more insane and retarded than Andy T could ever get.
    zappo
    President Pence's First Lady

Pizzas : 474

Post by zappo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Chrono, I only follow national team futbol (GO GERMANY!), so I don't have anything to add to this thread. But are you anti-Andy T? That'd just break my heart, brother.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 pm

wp64 wrote:Your actions in this thread are way more insane and retarded than Andy T could ever get.

you'll have to explain the "insanity" of making a couple of clicks to express my opinion

after all, isn't that what the props system is for??

nice attempt to deflect from all the misanthropic shit you've been posting though
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:36 pm

yeah, kill yourself wp64

keep this behaviour up and i'll have to neg everybody
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 pm

zappo wrote:But are you anti-Andy T? That'd just break my heart, brother.

you'll notice i haven't posted in that thread before.

i have felt like it is better for me not to comment on that stuff since everyone else seems to enjoy it so much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content