Futebol

Nick
    President Obama

Pizzas : 615

Re: Futebol

Post by Nick on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm

This quarter final was the first real memorable and entertaining 90 minutes of the tournament.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:18 pm

I was LOLing at Steve McNamaman on ESPN saying Portugal played negative football and didn't deserve to win. Then the camera shows Ronaldo and he goes "And there is shirtless Ronnie again."

I admit I woke up this morning feeling zero excitement about the final. It lived up to expectations!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:36 am

I'm going to C Bayern Munich vs AC Milan tomorrow at Soldier Field. My brother is a big Bayern Munich fan. I don't much care about either side but it's a free ticket and the chance to drink some beer watching pro athletes sleep walk through a friendly!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:19 am

Weird hearing new new intro music on The Football Ramble, seeing a new logo & they wrote a book. Add on Luke getting engaged it's like my favorite collection of bantering misfits R growing up.
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 72
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 pm

#travel
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 42
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:03 pm

This is the year I commit to finally following the premier league since I have nothing else going on and it is fun getting up early, drinking coffee, and watching soccer.

Go Arsenal!
    undo
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 442

Post by undo on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 pm

It appears that nobody cares about soccer in the olympics, is this true and why?

Why is winning the World Cup the biggest honor in the sport and yet the Olympics seems to be getting like 1% of the attention that the Euros did a month ago.

Asking as a total outsider to the sport, perhaps obviously.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Probably has something to do with it overlapping with league play so all of the talent at the Olympics is second-rate.
    undo

Post by undo on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 am

Didn't the NHL shut down 4 2 weeks so players could go to the winter olympics?
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:47 am

Short answer...it doesn't have the historical gravitas of the other major international tourneys due to the fact that it only allowed professionals relatively recently and even then in a restricted capacity. The small number of teams make it closer to the Confeds Cup in terms of size/import

In this country its very much seen as the most unwelcome professional guest at the Olympic feast but that's partly due to the fact that we won't enter a team as it could compromise the legitimacy of the UKs composite FAs in the eyes of FIFA.

Worth noting that the professional/amateur contention is a complete red herring in GB since the advent of lottery funding...but im not complaining.
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:49 am

Brazil really gives a fuck though because both their domestic and international games R at an historic low and it was the only major tourney that hadn't won.

Well done dudes....U beat Germany's D team!
    Bruegel

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:51 am

Serge Gnabry scored 6 goals in this tournament. Serge Gnabry.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 am

Chrono, do U still follow the Arsenal Football Club?

What do U think of the Lucas and Mustafi signings? How should I feel about them?
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:38 am

They won't matter that much. Arsenal will finish 4th.
    chrondog

Pizzas : 218

Post by chrondog on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Ҩ wrote:Chrono, do U still follow the Arsenal Football Club?

What do U think of the Lucas and Mustafi signings? How should I feel about them?

i still watch just about every game. hasn't been a lot to cheer about through this point in the season, so i've been reluctant to bring it up here.

i've liked Mustafi 4 a couple of years now and i think he's a very good signing. he's a player that i've had on my theoretical wish list since he broke into the German national team. he ticks the boxes: young, German international, balanced player. he's decent on the ball, good in the air, and has personality. Arsenal could use a few more players like him. he's the type of player i think Arsenal could've signed two years ago 4 less money, but Wenger has a conservative transfer policy. we could've signed Higuain 4 30 million euro before he went to Napoli--instead, Wenger waited 4 him 2"prove himself" more and get out of our price range. i wouldn't put Mustafi in the top 15 CBs in the world conversation, but he has that kind of potential. even if Gabriel  weren't injured i would still call this a good signing. i've been extremely unimpressed with Gabriel--he's made the defense worse in virtually every game i've seen him play. Mustafi-Koscielny is a promising partnership with the speed and power to be successful in the PL (if Kos can stay healthy).

i don't know Lucas' game, but i like the thinking here. the price tag is super reasonable 4 an English club buying a player who has scored goals in a top league. i disagree with critics who say that a pacey, Vardy-type forward doesn't suit Arsenal's game. Arsenal have shown a willingness to play on the counter against some big teams over the past two years and even in games where we control possession there R many opportunities to break and few players better suited 4 that style than Alexis and Ozil. i also really liked the way the team was playing when Welbeck was leading the line last season (even if he didn't score enough) and expect Lucas to be better than Welbeck.

Nick wrote:They won't matter that much. Arsenal will finish 4th.

they might finish third, hard to say. it's not hard to say they'll finish higher than Liverpool though. anyone who thinks otherwise is completely delusional and i look forward to having this be the post of record 4 my opinion on that.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Liverpool will finish 7th or 8th that defense isn't getting fixed in this window and by January it will be too late.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Great match in Manchester this weekend. Despite all the early-season chatter about Mourinho banishing Schweinsteiger and taking control of the dressing room, the match indicated to me that Guardiola has been superior in shaping the team in his own image more quickly. Mourinho is going to struggle to find his best team and get the best out of players like Lingard (the choice to start him this weekend was baffling), Mkhitaryan, Pogba, and Martial with the likes of Fellaini and Rooney clogging up the works. Manchester United is stuck somewhere in the middle of "the English way" (commentators noted they had the five tallest players on the pitch during the derby) and evolving to a classy continental style with Pogba, Zlatan, and Mkhitaryan. I think Otamendi is a very classy defender who was written off after his first two games last season in typical English media fashion. De Bruyne is a top 5 player in the prem 4 me, he's a phenom and I love watching him play.

I appreciated the three free points from Bobby Madley as well.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 pm

I think the way Pep came in and immediately gelled that City team proves how superior he is to Mourinho. Their head to head results alone prove that out and I think had Aguero been eligible that might have been a more convincing win.

I'm surprised Rooney and Fellaini R still being used. Pep would have shipped them out instantly. There is nothing in either of them that makes sense in a side that wants to not just win the league but challenge in Europe.

Mou has the ego that tells him he can make them work in his system whereas Pep is more ruthless and his ego suggests they aren't of a caliber that can comprehend his tactics.

And like we're seeing, Pep's logic is winning out.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Mourinho hasn't adapted his style in the same way that Pep has. Pep gets a lot of stick 4 supposedly being wedded to some "tiki-taka" style, but it's more that he's enchanted by the idea of possession. With possession U can dictate the game however U like, plus the other team can't score when U have the ball. Sides based around possession R the sensible way to construct dominant teams. But within that possession structure Pep has shown remarkable willingness to shift the pieces around and find new things that work. This season it's been the fullbacks tucking inside to create midfield overloads and Fernandinho dropping from midfield into a sweeper roll. He's got Silva dropping deeper to start the build up while Sterling pins defenders back on the wing. New things R happening every week with this Man City team.

Conversely, Mou still struggles to construct teams with a fluid attack. He demands rigidity from his defenders and relies on 3-5 front players being responsible 4 all the teams creativity. His primary skill as a manger is still getting a team of incredibly talented and expensive players to sit back behind the ball. Of course, I'm sure he does a lot of other things tactically in terms of scouting the opposition, picking his lineups to play a certain way and exploit the other teams weakness, etc., but it plays out in broad strokes on the pitch. There's no Mourinho "style of play", but there's a ruggedness of a team that has the "Mourinho feel" about it.

I respect that Mourinho has been able to create the "siege mentality" at a number of different clubs and win the league in extraordinary circumstances (against Barcelona with Real, in his second spell at Chelsea), but he will always be a destroyer rather than a builder.

I also totally agree that Rooney wouldn't be within a mile of the team if Pep were manager. It helps highlight the extent to which Pep is a scientist and Mou is more of an alchemist. Mou still values intangibles like "leadership" and "the United way" and because of ego, like U say, thinks he can make those forces play to his advantage. Pep says Rooney isn't a good player and can't help the team, plain and simple.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm

after this Chelsea victory people R acting like Arsenal have somehow turned a corner and R becoming a "mentally stronger team". sure, it's significant to break the duck against Chelsea 4 the last five years, but Arsenal FINISHED SECOND last year. Chelsea were shit. Manchester United were shit. Manchester City collapsed. what about the mental frailty of THOSE TEAMS? the Arsenal narrative is fucking tired.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Watching el Classico and Zidane is like the most handsome bald man ever.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:23 pm

who is more perfectly bald, Zidane or Bob Bradley?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Matt Phillips is an incredibly useful Premier League player
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:21 pm

chrondog wrote:
    Nick wrote:They won't matter that much. Arsenal will finish 4th.

they might finish third, hard to say. it's not hard to say they'll finish higher than Liverpool though. anyone who thinks otherwise is completely delusional and i look forward to having this be the post of record 4 my opinion on that.

don't feel quite so comfortable about this anymore
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Arsenal beating Burnley both time from a last minute penalty shot when Kos was pretty clearly offside both times is hilarious.

I'm really feeling good about Inter lately. They have a developed a strong midfield and Gagliardini was an awesome pickup in the winter transfer window. Eight wins in a row and the future looks bright for the first time in the post-Treble era. I'm really excited for two weekends from now. Chelsea - Arsenal and Juve - Inter!

Soccer is fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content