chrondog
reuben
10 posters

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh:

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Empty When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh:

Post by reuben Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

I didn't realize this until a few minutes ago but Garfunkel has a horseshoe moustache that looks just like Paul Simon's head:

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Bridge+Over+Troubled+Water+folder
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Empty Re: When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh:

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:24 pm

i tried to describe this album cover to my mom the other day and just ended up saying "the white one with squiggly cloud things on it". since then i've spent some time trying to figure out what's actually on it.

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Tumblr_litm2eOlQJ1qfrl70o1_cover
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Empty Re: When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh:

Post by reuben Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:11 pm

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Untitled_zps77c0060c

imlikewhoa
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm

reuben wrote:When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Bridge+Over+Troubled+Water+folder
    Bridge over troubled hairline.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Laughing

Now I want to photoshop a tiny Paul Simon into Someh's avatar, but as my work above demonstrates I'm too lazy to do the job right.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 am

jasperness wrote:i tried to describe this album cover to my mom the other day and just ended up saying "the white one with squiggly cloud things on it". since then i've spent some time trying to figure out what's actually on it.

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: Tumblr_litm2eOlQJ1qfrl70o1_cover

have you seen the vinyl?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm

this one?

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: 1970s+LED+ZEPPELIN+3+Turntable+Mat+vintage+vinyl+LP+record+album+sleeve

had not seen it, that's pretty over the top

Zep III is definitely their most British-sounding record and the artwork reflects that i think
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm

jasperness wrote:

Zep III is definitely their most British-sounding record

Interesting claim, sir. Not one that ever occurred to me.

Are you saying that because it has more folky tracks, making for a stronger pastoral dimension? As opposed to that sort of thing being concentrated in, say, "The Battle of Evermore."
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm

not as much reliance on American blues standards (and the ones they did use they made them WEIRD), the focus on British folk and pastoral elements (recording at Bron-Yr-Aur, the vibe of "That's the Way"), the way Robert Plant seems to use more British inflections in his voice (as in "Tangerineeeeeeeee, Tangerineeeeeeeee"), the Anglo-Saxon themes as in "Immigrant Song" and elsewhere on the album, etc.

it seems by III that they had become comfortable in themselves as artists and didn't need to continue doing "British Blues" to pay homage to the Black American greats. "Since I've Been Loving You" to me is a top 5 Zeppelin song because by it is the authentic expression of Led Zeppelin's own style of blues as opposed to II which can feel like more like "Led Zeppelin plays the hits!"

my dad has been spinning III at the house recently and we've been talking about it. that was the first time the thought that it was their "most British-sounding record" occurred to me. "The Battle of Evermore" is just Celtic wankery.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:08 am

"Tangerine", guys.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 am

Also, in that picture up there, the round thing with all the graphics on it isn't a record. It's a cardboard disk that was fastened inside the front half of the gatefold which could be rotated to subtly change the appearance of the front cover.
    Much like one of those birthday cards that had a dial that you could spin to customize the card according to the birthday kid's age.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am

Ted Falconi wrote:"Tangerine", guys.

One hell of a guitar solo in this thing.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:40 am

Or maybe it is a record, but it wasn't that way from 1970 until maybe 2007 when they probably put out the picture disc version.

I don't currently own a copy of LZIII. This roommate moved to Ft. Collins Colo. with mine.

Phone convo went like this.

Me: Hey, I think you took my Led Zep 3.
    Mike (guy had the same name as me): Oh yeah, I noticed we had 2 copies of that album.
    Me: Yeah, I noticed I had zero.
    Michael K.
    Michael K.
    Fascist Groove Shark

Pizzas : 161
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 am

That's all true about the vinyl, imo. Insert thing - indiscernible from the "cover" - spins underneath the "cover" and lots of cool shit appears. I got an og copy inherited from my pops. Someone told me it was worth something, but ebay sez it's worth $5.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am

Michael K. wrote:Someone told me it was worth something, but ebay sez it's worth $5.
    Nothing printed in the millions is worth anything. Just ask my early '90s comic books.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 am

If its an early pressing and everything is in NM/VG (including the volvelle) it would be worth £50+

If its the 1st pressing (with Peter Grant credit) could be worth £200/300, depending on condition
    http://rarerecordcollector.wordpress.com/atlantic/led-zeppelin/led-zeppelin-iii/

There is an Italian pressing wih a provisional sleeve that's worh about the same too

There are red, purple and picture disc represses but none of them are worth much

I like my Dad's old beat-up copy just fine

So mote it be
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 pm

NP: Tangerine
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 am

http://www.harderbloggerfaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Les-Rythmes-Digitales-Darkdancer-front.jpg

I won't even try to explain what I always thought he was doing in this pose but this is the first time I've seen a picture of this cover that isn't smaller than a Triscuit.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:58 am

When an album cover makes you go :Ohhh: 12-single-ingles-duran-duran-hungry-like-the-wolf-D_NQ_NP_21314-MLB20208524671_122014-F

Had this for decades but never noticed the four lines of coke and the razor blade until it was pointed out to me recently.

I think one of the Taylor's didn't partake. Roger, I presume.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 pm

reuben wrote: Laughing

Now I want to photoshop a tiny Paul Simon into Someh's avatar, but as my work above demonstrates I'm too lazy to do the job right.

I wonder what my avatar was

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:09 pm