vacation plans

Nick
    President Obama

Pizzas : 612

Re: vacation plans

Post by Nick on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Yea been there a few times. Love that city. You can pretty much head to the Mississippi Street area and find plenty of bars & restaurants.
    chrondog
    Puts commas, where they don't belong

Pizzas : 207

Post by chrondog on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

I live in Portland and never go to Mississippi Street, but that's definitely true. It's the happening part of Northeast. Nick has strong taste in Portland meat restaurants.

I think Portland is a good city to do minimal planning because it's still relatively small and there's good stuff all over the city. If you just explored the area you were staying for a couple days you'd find good bars, restaurants and entertainment. What part of the city will you be in?
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Pizzas : 120

Post by C-poots on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Shit, just had to cancel my Portland trip but will be in Seattle starting tomorrow until Friday night.
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Post by C-poots on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Seattle was really nice. I've heard a little bit of positive feedback about photographing for a mag or two, and still keeping my fingers crossed but I think the next few months will include lots of travel. NYC for fashion week and to see a girl, finish up my job and quit end of Sept, leave mid October to shoot fashion week in Tokyo and Shanghai, a quick visit to a friend in Montreal, and off to SF to settle down/live for a little.
    undo
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 430

Post by undo on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:28 pm

chrondog wrote:What part of the city will you be in?

Downtown, I guess? Hotel Lucia. Meeting friends who say they know the area and will be taking us hiking somewhere. We're probably doing tourist-y stuff, what that will be I'm not sure yet.

Just looking for things in the area like restaurants and craft beer experiences, I'll check out any of your favorites if it works out for us.

ClosetOfExhaustion
    Waitin' For the Bus

Pizzas : 246
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:53 pm

if i was staying at Hotel Lucia I would walk north to Bailey's taproom to spend the afternoon drinking beer and ordering burritos from Santeria across the street.
    undo

Post by undo on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 am

chrondog wrote:I live in Portland
    looking at the weather forecast for this week is blowing my mind, I honestly had no idea and I don't feel prepared for this at all
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 am

if you brought one hoodie and nothing but tees and shorts you'd be set. this is the biggest heat wave of the year so far. i'll be spending most of the 100+ degree days in an air conditioned office. the heat here lasts all night, so the morning is the time to go out if you want a cool time to hike or something. at least it's not that humid.

this city really gets moving when it's hot out though, should be fun. perfect if you want to spend every night on a patio drinking.
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Post by C-poots on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 am

Hey Brugs is your place in Tokyo on Airbnb?
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 442

Post by Bruegel on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:18 am

Nah. Our house is in rural west Honshu (Yamaguchi prefecture). It currently has a septuagenarian monk in residence.
    undo

Post by undo on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 pm

3 days in Portland was an eye-opening experience, I don't have the words for it.

I also don't travel very much so take what you will from that.
    Ned Braden

Pizzas : 537
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:42 am

chrondog wrote:this city really gets moving when it's hot out though, should be fun. perfect if you want to spend every night on a patio drinking.
    ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:if i was staying at Hotel Lucia I would walk north to Bailey's taproom to spend the afternoon drinking beer and ordering burritos from Santeria across the street.
    #lifegoals
    undo

Post by undo on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I am driving to southern Illinois to see the eclipse in a few days.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

undo wrote:3 days in Portland was an eye-opening experience, I don't have the words for it.

any reflections on this now?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:Bailey's taproom

i like their draft list a lot.

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:burritos from Santeria across the street.

and this looks like a legit, homestyle Mexican place. of which there are not tons of great ones in Portland.

i'll have to make a night of this sometime.
    undo

Post by undo on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm

chrondog wrote:
    undo wrote:3 days in Portland was an eye-opening experience, I don't have the words for it.

any reflections on this now?
    I've been slowly coming to the realization that I hate the midwest and brewing in a lot of awful feelings about that, which I could go into in further detail but I don't really know if anyone needs to hear it.

I won't say that Portland is good because because it's beautiful and surrounded by "nature" or because people were walking around smoking weed or because friendly strangers approached us just to say hi and ask how we were enjoying our visit or because a total stranger took time and effort out of her day to help me find my lost phone or because people were crossdressing in public and no one cared or because the streets were clean and walkable and there were almost no cars or because the trains were affordable and ran on time and there wasn't a sense of panic in the air like every time I go to Chicago and feel like I need to look over my shoulder every 30 seconds or anything like that. It wasn't one of those things alone but all of it together, which just amplified my sense of apathy towards home.

We could play this game all day long and it's total bullshit but I think growing up out here just messed me up permanently and when I saw all the young people on the streets in Portland I kept getting glimpses of how I might have turned out if I'd grown up anywhere else, especially a place like that but just anywhere but the shitty farmtowns bordering the edge cities of Chicago's suburban sprawl. There is no meaningful difference between the suburbs here and the rest of the state except for our concentrations of Paneras.

I also realize that my superficial impressions of a place I only visited for a short time doesn't really give me a sense of what it would be like to live there and lets me conveniently ignore the fact that all the "weird" people surrounding me are probably just as unhappy as I am but damn.

Also, the realization that I've been here so long that I've absorbed everything shitty about this place and will take it with me where ever I go, there is no moving away from here.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm

chrondog wrote:
    ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:Bailey's taproom

i like their draft list a lot.

this was a great place for an after work flight with my co-worker. the crowd is for more downtown/professional-y than i, but like i said, good draft list.

i enjoyed this a lot: https://untappd.com/b/ex-novo-brewing-belly-rub-barrel-aged/2174376
    undo

Post by undo on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 pm

undo wrote:I am driving to southern Illinois to see the eclipse in a few days.
    This was cool but the drive back home made it one of the single worst nights of my entire life.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:ordering burritos from Santeria across the street.

this place is insane. i was right about the "homestyle Mexican" feel in some respects, but it's a bit different because it has a punk/new wave vibe and it's literally all white people in it. plates were massive, flavorful, salty, and delicious. skulls were everywhere.

my friend and I got a pastor chimichanga and verde cochinita enchiladas, respectively, and shared. the unique characteristics of each meat was not drowned out by the deluge of sauce and crema at all. very enjoyable.

and open till 2am. this is a good find CoE.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Waitin' For the Bus

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

a friend of mine is one of those blue collar types you described as populating Bailey's taproom. that Baileys & Santeria combo is usually where I find him when I get into town, after he's just done something like a 70 mile bike ride through parts of oregon & is now refueling w/ burritos & beer.

the other neighboring food & bar combo i'd recommend, which i think is closer to you(?), would be Double Dragon & APEX. it helps that there's a pine state biscuits right there, too. i suspect you've visited those places?

thread related, i'm going to albquerque at the end of september. never been there before.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:51 pm

I was actually thinking that Bailey's taproom had more of a white collar vibe, but maybe that's just between 4-7? Lots of office worker types were gathering for happy hour. I am also a white collar office worker, I was saying that I don't always feel like "one of those people" most of the time.

I've been to Double Dragon twice. It's a nice space in a nice area more than anything. Food is decent.

Apex has another amazing draft list. lots of nitros which you don't always see. i'll put it on my list.

Haven't been to any of the Pine State Biscuits though. I'm not a biscuits and/or gravy man. I'm not a gravy for breakfast man. I prefer a scone with jam. I haven't even been to Screen Door which is probably the most popular restaurant in the city. "Southern comfort food" is solid, but not something that occupies an important place in my culinary world. Chicken & waffles doesn't really capture my imagination. A fried chicken sandwich does though.

I went to another trendy place last night called Teote which I've been to a few times. They do arepas and bowls type stuff. It's a couple blocks from the Double Dragon area.

Last edited by chrondog on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jesus jones
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 66

Post by jesus jones on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:13 pm

for my wife and i's 5th wedding anniversary, we'll be holed up in a cabin near floyd, virginia for several days surrounded by hiking trails. i think there are some breweries or dumb tourist things around, but mostly i just wanna hang out in the woods.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:18 pm

jesus jones wrote:for my wife and i's 5th wedding anniversary

wow man, what a life
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Waitin' For the Bus

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 am

yeah, white collar is what i meant. bad wording, bad boarding.

(pine state has really good biscuit sandwiches that are hard to eat)
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:39 pm

English muffin > biscuit

So much of modern food culture is beautiful looking food that is impossible to eat. I can't stand to look at another piece of ornately designed toast with flowers and wild greens on it that would just fall off if you ever picked the thing up. Having a vehicle that helps all your ingredients meld together is essential to great food, and so much food marketing and upscale dining eschews that in favor of obliquely stacked foods.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 am