reuben
Ned Braden
14 posters

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Empty Re: Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada

Post by reuben Fri May 24, 2013 4:19 pm

In this day and age you can eat Kraft Dinner and drink Labatt or go to Tim Horton's all over the United States but if you want to eat a Harvey's burger made your way or enjoy the simple delights of Swiss Chalet you've got to cross the 49th parallel.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 31

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Empty Re: Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada

Post by spiritofeden Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 pm

American Mac and Cheese and Canadian beer brewed in the US is not the same thing.

McDonalds in the US is better then it is in Canada.

Also, pretty sure you can't get Labbat 50 or Stock ale in the US.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden

Post by spiritofeden Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 pm

grapes

Keep your stick on the ice reub.

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that the Molson and Labatt imported into the US is the same stuff you drink up there but just in case I think Ned better go ahead and try all of this stuff.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden

Post by spiritofeden Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

There's lots of different kinds of Molson and Labbats products for everyone to "enjoy"!

vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Other Canadian suds of note:

La Fin du Monde
    Moosehead (seriously, it's better than you remember it)

When I'm up in the Pacific Northwest homeland, I always enjoy a half-rack of this British Columbian stalwart:

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Kokanee

Ned is a solid bro so I know he'll enjoy it responsibly.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 pm

why the hell would you try to define your Canadian excursion through empty consumer bullshit?

Ned Braden wrote:Cold Lake, middle of nowheresville. Just landed in Edmonton.

it sounds like you already have found the right way to enjoy this foreign land. take lots of pictures of this exquisite wilderness for me.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 pm

:shrugs: a man's got to eat.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Post by vIv Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 pm

jasperness wrote:why the hell would you try to define your Canadian excursion through empty consumer bullshit?

eh I personally find the consumption of new beers in exotic lands, far from empty, to be deeply fulfilling. eh

grapes
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Cheeks into the room. It's tiny! Bunk beds, but no roommate which is a plus. Best believe I'm grabbing the top bunk anyway!
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zpse529d76c

Now I'm in "club 41" on base, drinking a Canadian wheat beer of some kind which is pretty good, and watching the SNES game which is not pretty good.

Turn it around SNES!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

jasperness wrote:why the hell would you try to define your Canadian excursion through empty consumer bullshit?

Ned Braden wrote:Cold Lake, middle of nowheresville. Just landed in Edmonton.

it sounds like you already have found the right way to enjoy this foreign land. take lots of pictures of this exquisite wilderness for me.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm on a military base without transport. Empty consumer bullshit is in my wheelhouse anyway, so between that and hockey I'm covered for having a decent time even if no wilderness exploration opportunities present themselves. Hopefully they will though.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 pm

reuben wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Molson and Labatt imported into the US is the same stuff you drink up there but just in case I think Ned better go ahead and try all of this stuff.
    Oh, you know I will! They got that Kokanee beer here, so that's on deck afro
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat May 25, 2013 6:15 am

loving this thread

my Canadian work bro brought me back some quality brews from the list last Christmas but he's a skinny hipster and was moving in a different set of circles

Phillips Amnesiac DIPA was particularly memorable
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 am

I am currently 36,000 ft over Paris.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 am

Unless you are able to share photos of beer, chips and other local fare you might as well be above Paris, Kentucky.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun May 26, 2013 1:37 am

Been raining and shitty all day, but for a spell when it cleared up and we popped into town for some milkshakes. A hearty fuck yeah to this joint:
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zpsda8ccd2f
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zpsb235d57f
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zpsdc6bff78
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zps33b508fe

this is the kind of consumer bullshit that is anything but empty imho. It felt like I was at the double r diner or something. The chick serving the milkshakes was exactly the kind of girl I would've had an impossible crush on when I was in high school. Which is to say, cute and like 13.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun May 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Ned Braden wrote: I'm on a military base without transport.

Got around this hurdle today by going on a ridiculously long run on an excellent trail. Sunny, slight breeze, perfect temp. Took me from the base, to a boring highway, to a much less boring woody area where i started getting disturbing visions based on that grizzly man documentary, and eventually to the Cold Lake marina area. Beautiful scenery. Wish I was one of those people who runs with their phones so I could've gotten some photos. On the way back I farted so loud that I heard it through my ipod earbuds, but luckily the shart gods were kind to me and it didn't get out of hand. mang
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 am

Ned Braden wrote:Wish I was one of those people who runs with their phones so I could've gotten some photos. On the way back I farted so loud that I heard it through my ipod earbuds

it always throws me off when people still have iPods. i have been conditioned to think that everyone who likes Apple uses an iPhone now. it is really nice to be listening to some tunes or a podcast on my phone and then pull it out to take a great picture on my run.

Ned Braden wrote:Got around this hurdle today by going on a ridiculously long run on an excellent trail. Sunny, slight breeze, perfect temp. Took me from the base, to a boring highway, to a much less boring woody area where i started getting disturbing visions based on that grizzly man documentary, and eventually to the Cold Lake marina area. Beautiful scenery.

i love trail running. when i looked it up on Google Maps Cold Lake Provincial Park and its trails didn't seem too far from your base so this is exactly what i was thinking about. good to hear it was nice.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 am

As far as phone v pod, It's all about size for me. The not-quite most recent nano is perfect, and I got a slap bracelet thing it fits into so essentially I'm just jogging with a watch. I think this would be a great "i-watch" type invention if they did it right.
    Was definitely a good day, but tomorrow starts the 6am-7pm long work days for a while.
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Mon May 27, 2013 6:51 am

jack reacher is fantastic
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Post by vIv Tue May 28, 2013 1:35 pm

yancy wrote:Poutine is gross imo, but most people love it, so you should probably try that if you haven't already.

Thought of this thread Friday night down at Chop Bar in Oakland while enjoying a highbrow interpretation of Poutine involving braised oxtails and Fiscalini cheddar. All washed down with a La Fin du Monde in a Belgian tulip glass.

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Poutin10

Last edited by vIv on Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm

That looks & sounds amazing. Poutine for junk food connoisseurs accustomed to the gourmet stylings of Hot Doug's, et al. Top shelf Canadian craft beer in place of Molson, for good measure.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am

Damn Viv. Damn. grapes
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed May 29, 2013 1:50 am

Sorry guys I just accidentally made this thread an "announcement" while trying to add a poll.

Poll: What should I do this saturday?

1. take a bus to Edmonton for a pub crawl of some sort.
    2. ride a half marathon.

I don't know... the first thing means hanging out with people and spending money, and the last thing means waking up before noon on one of the few days off. They both sound equally terrible and equally alright. I guess the Hawks can solve my dilemma if they win and are scheduled to play saturday. Not signing on for any sort of stupid sporting activity that would preclude my watching the game, so pub crawl is out.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 am

Didn't get finished with work till 7:00. Decided to go to a place called "Boston Pizza." I was sold as soon as this goofy dude in the squadron advertised it by sing-songing "more than a pizza" in Boston style.

Menu featured friday afternoon pizza party fare in the upper right:
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zps0f5a21f8
    Went with The Tuscan, but decided to get nuts and ask them to add some artichokes Play it loud, mutha
    Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zps48aaf01f

Large beers were well-sized. Went with a Rickard's dark, a Rickard's dark, and a Rickard's dark.

Ridin the day bus to Heathrow for a 2 week jaunt to Canada - Page 3 Null_zpsdd9dc4b2

Youngster in the squadron didn't want to finish his pizza, and apparently British people who get a doggy bag "are pikeys" which is total bullshit imo. So he was going to let them throw it away. I argued with him for a while about that "chinese children" and "clean plate club" stuff our moms always told us about, then gave up and just ate the rest of his pizza. God damn it kids just eat your god damn food. Sharks Kings was going on in the background, and was pretty bonkers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm