Elite standup comedy thread

_
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 56

Re: Elite standup comedy thread

Post by _ on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 pm

chappelle was alright

i laughed pretty hard a few times but forgot everything i thought was funny about an hour after it ended, so don't get your hopes up too high
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

Pizzas : 606
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 am

Norm MacDonald live Podcast is unreal. I know this isn't standup per say, but I'm too drunk and lazy and shit to make a new thread for how perfect the last 20 minutes or so of that Tyson interview was.
    zappo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 589

Post by zappo on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 am

There's a podcast, too? Is that different than the show, or is it just an audio-only version thereof?
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 am

shit, actually not sure. Someone said "podcast" recently and I just started using it for everything. I think it's a show that also has a podcast? But I watched it on youtube cause i don't know shit about these things.
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 am

Man, speaking of that Norm podcast… Holy fucking shit at the episode with Dana Carvey. This nonsense is must watch internet. Pretty much better than anything I can think of at the moment, except maybe the war room scene from strangelove
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 am

Speaking of that podcast...  it was wonderful. And I think I had something else to say, maybe? But, I forget, so here is a random picture:
    chrondog
    President Pence

Pizzas : 258

Post by chrondog on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:53 pm

damn, that Yamashita vinyl is elite
    Nick
    President Pence

Pizzas : 659

Post by Nick on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 am

At least we should be spared more mopey-ass, boring Louis CK TV shows.
    coyote
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 50

Post by coyote on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 pm

One day last year I got totally sickened by C.K.’s routine. I used to really enjoy him and then just really was disgusted by him. These true allegations don’t seem surprising. I hope the guy disappears from media for good.
    undo
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 553

Post by undo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:06 am

I thought this news came out like 2 months ago.
    Soma
    Gramps

Pizzas : 268

Post by Soma on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:07 pm

I still think he's funny : (
    Ҩ
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 55
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Same, but I hated his last Netflix standup special and didn't watch any of Horace & Pete.

I'm really glad that these events are getting the attention that they deserve and that women/victims feel empowered enough now that they are willing to bring this to the public attention. I will say though, this is the first celebrity involved in one of these scandals whose artistic material I have personally enjoyed (aside from Woody Allen, but that feels different somehow). I am a little uncomfortable with how quickly everyone rushes to shame and demonize the perpetrator.

People can do really awful shit and abuse their power and influence, while also being either really talented, or overall pretty good people, or both.

I appreciated his admission of guilt and his decision to basically fuck off for good. What he did is disgusting and abusive, but he was really good at his job.
    chrondog
    President Pence

Post by chrondog on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Ҩ wrote:People can do really awful shit and abuse their power and influence, while also being either really talented, or overall pretty good people, or both.

I appreciated his admission of guilt and his decision to basically fuck off for good. What he did is disgusting and abusive, but he was really good at his job.

this is dumb.

the idea we need to move away from is the notion that people's personalities are consistent and that success/wealth/creativity have anything to do with moral virtue. your ability to make films has nothing to do with your ability to respect women. your ability to run a restaurant has nothing to do with whether you can keep your hands to yourself. your decades of serving in public office have nothing to do with whether you try to pick up underage girls on the weekend.

there is no sympathy for the "hard time" abusers are having in this current climate given that the entire issue we're talking about is how entire classes of people have been silenced and abused for centuries under the guise of "how we handle things in polite society". we should be destroying the reputations of abusers instead of victims who sit in silence for decades. his "admission of guilt" was the bare minimum, but deserves no credit after the allegations have been out there for him to address for years and he chose not to.

seriously, who cares that he was "really good at his job" and why would anyone ever bring that up in this context? that being good at your job enables you to have the resources to perpetuate your abuse is the reason why people feel the need to have a conversation about the morality of artists. Louis CK had the opportunity to traumatize more people because the public watched his $5 specials.

disclosure: i haven't watched Louie's comedy in years and i thought the first two episodes of Horace & Pete sucked.
    Ҩ

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm

chrondog wrote:we should be destroying the reputations of abusers instead of victims who sit in silence for decades.
    I just don't share this impulse. What is more important is that the victims can get some sort of closure and I have been told that public acknowledgements, although they can ring somewhat hollow to many of us, does often provide that to the victim.

More importantly though, I just really don't understand the impulse to destroy and shame people. Does that actually help in anyway? Are other potential or future sexual predators somehow dissuaded from future action after seeing the consequences? There are also a spectrum of crimes here. What Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby stand accused of is very different than what Louis CK did. It is really sad and terrible, as a society, that power dynamics can be exploited so easily to insulate abusers from responsibility. We can all acknowledge that and should work to correct those social issues. I'm glad that these horrible events are mostly being used to have those kinds of difficult conversations.

The dogpiling is often reductive. Isn't it at least possible that Louie himself has a problem he needs to deal with? That doesn't suggest he is deserving of our sympathy, but I think it is something that should be acknowledged.
    Duff...

Pizzas : 421
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 am

Ҩ wrote:Are other potential or future sexual predators somehow dissuaded from future action after seeing the consequences?

Yes.

If you do something disgusting that hurts other people, the proper response is revulsion. There's nothing difficult about this.
    Duff...

Pizzas : 421
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 am

Also, I'm glad I don't have to force myself through any more Horace & Pete.
    chrondog
    President Pence

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Ҩ wrote:
    chrondog wrote:we should be destroying the reputations of abusers instead of victims who sit in silence for decades.
    I just don't share this impulse. What is more important is that the victims can get some sort of closure and I have been told that public acknowledgements, although they can ring somewhat hollow to many of us, does often provide that to the victim.

More importantly though, I just really don't understand the impulse to destroy and shame people. Does that actually help in anyway? Are other potential or future sexual predators somehow dissuaded from future action after seeing the consequences? There are also a spectrum of crimes here. What Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby stand accused of is very different than what Louis CK did. It is really sad and terrible, as a society, that power dynamics can be exploited so easily to insulate abusers from responsibility. We can all acknowledge that and should work to correct those social issues. I'm glad that these horrible events are mostly being used to have those kinds of difficult conversations.

The dogpiling is often reductive. Isn't it at least possible that Louie himself has a problem he needs to deal with? That doesn't suggest he is deserving of our sympathy, but I think it is something that should be acknowledged.

society and male self-reflection need wholesale transformation so that people acknowledge and deal with their own problems when they occur, rather than after a decade of profiting and ONLY when you have a PR nightmare on your hands. we need to create a climate where allegations such as this based on the corroborated statements of many people turn into actual prosecutions.

the desire to shame isn't punitive, it is to take the power away from powerful people so they cannot perpetuate abuse. if you can skate through the controversy, maintain your wealth and relaunch your career, there are not serious consequences to action.

i think you're seriously downplaying the impacts of sexual abuse. what Louie did has put a black cloud over the lives of many, many people for many, many years. he has potentially taken things away from them that they will never get back. i think you should truly interrogate yourself on this and ask yourself why you have an impulse to protect this man's reputation or feelings. i'm not sure you're fully aware of how these last couple posts come off, but your attitude is about a half-step away from "let's sweep this all under the rug and let things go back to normal".

there's no reason he should ever work in entertainment again. he has the resources he needs to retire and go away for the rest of his life. he's demonstrated that he cannot be trusted with power and people, especially as they get older, are unlikely to change.
    Ҩ

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't want to continue this conversation much longer because I agree with just about everything that you're saying and there isn't much else for me to add. I wasn't suggesting that these things should be swept under the rug and I'm kind of offended by the suggestion, to be honest.

My only point is that our collective ability to castigate the accused is much stronger than our societies ability to reflect and create meaningful social change. I might be wrong about that and maybe all of the recent revelations actually suggest a new willingness for victims to speak their truth without feeling like they will be silenced, ignored, or attacked. It's pretty likely that these kinds of things happened with disgusting regularity in the past and were just never revealed, reported on, or discussed.

I wasn't trying to minimize the impact that Louie's actions had on these five women and I apologize if it came off that way.

chrondog
    President Pence

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Ҩ wrote:My only point is that our collective ability to castigate the accused is much stronger than our societies ability to reflect and create meaningful social change.

I agree entirely and don't think people should indulge in reckless and self-serving shaming (much of social media furor is self-serving nonsense tbh). My hope that intense focus on the seriousness of these crimes and their effects creates the impetus for people in positions of power to wake up to the moment.

You're all good WP and I'm just being the language police because this is an issue where we need to go there. Grasp for nuance all you want, but you're not going to mine much intellectually stimulating material out of "well, even though he cornered strangers and employees and jerked off in front of them unchecked for a decade, he was an important artist."
    Ҩ

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 pm

This is a really thoughtful and good piece.

Unable to find justice, or even to imagine it, we are returning to shame as our primary social form of sexual control.

The need to start having serious, but most importantly honest, conversations about male sexuality and masculinity is really important. I think social theorists interested in race did a great public service when they shifted their attention over to whiteness as a socially constructed category worthy of investigation and deconstruction. Something similar should be done now (and I am certain that this is already being done) with masculinity and maleness.
    reuben
    President Obama

Pizzas : 659

Post by reuben on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Miniboss wanted to watch The Secret Life of Pets last night and this goddamned CK guy's voice ruined it for me.
    undo
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 553

Post by undo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Youtube keeps recommending me videos featuring Joe Rogan and Bill Burr.

I have never knowingly watched or heard anything from either of them and I regularly get them confused. At least one of them is alt-right/anti-PC catnip, I think?

They're both extremely famous and I might be the only person who's confused about either of them let alone both.
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 am

I thought for sure I’d already started a Norm Macdonald thread, but it goes without saying that I think he is one of the best cases for humanity’s continued existence.
    He gets better and better with age. His current, “being uncannily wise” shtick is really doing it for me. Here’s a thing that I think is good:

Ned Braden wrote:Haven't watched this entire thing yet, but so far, a whole lot of quality here:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm