Re: NFL Discussion

Post by Ҩ on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:59 am

What the hell!!
    Nick
    President Obama

Pizzas : 612

Post by Nick on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 am

The best part of the game was the 3 quarters when I thought how great it was seeing Friends of Trump getting their asses handed to them.
    undo
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 430

Post by undo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 pm

#44 looks unsure about whether or not to get involved in the end of this play.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 pm

OMG the fucking Bears. They axe Cutler & give a ton of money to a career back up & then their best wideout leaves.

Not happy the Packers let Micah Hyde walk. Dude has been super important to their defense since getting drafted.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am

I can't believe I stayed up to watch the Packers trade away their pick. It makes sense bc the players that fill holes are still there but I could have gotten some much needed sleep!
    vIv
    Woman over 40

Pizzas : 65

Post by vIv on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:21 pm

As much as I hate to say it, Lynch and Paraag Marathe kind of jobbed you guys on that one.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:42 am

NFL training camp!!!

The next 3 weeks from 9AM-11AM I basically follow the Packers' beat writers on Twitter for updates on practice.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

The Bears must have reduced preseason ticket prices there are way more people from the South Suburbs in the city than there should be.
    Ned Braden

Pizzas : 537
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 am

I enjoy the sport of football, but my hate of all the surrounding things has really tarnished the NFL for me...
    Wish I could get back to that backyard running around trying to hurl balls through the tire swing.. but the people and the commercials and the money and the punch drunk concussed elder statesmen just drooling out their golden years (half the time on broadcast television) and making everything so damn depressing.
    Go bears I guess.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 am

What a disgusting hit on Davantae Adams. Fucking garbage Bears. Irrelevant for 30 years now. Chicago is a garbage city too.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Skip Bayless is gonna have some takes tomorrow after Aaron Rodgers broke the Cowboys hearts in Jerry World.
    chrondog
    Puts commas, where they don't belong

Pizzas : 207

Post by chrondog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm

watching this sport self-destruct is cool. Pence, JJ Watt, Odell Beckham, and Foerster cocaine stripper video all in one weekend!

hopefully the political controversies will convince congress to remove the subsidies and anti-trust advantages the league enjoys and the players union will rip the league to shreds.

fuck this sport.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm

The NFL is still my favorite sport but I've certainly found a number of reasons the past several years to enjoy it less. The concussion cover up, ties to the military & the disastrous leadership of Goodell.

But cheering the season ending injury of JJ Watt after he helped raise $38M for Houston hurricane victims is odd. Even OBJ hasn't done anything abhorrent like be charged with domestic violence or make sexist remarks to a female reporter.

Making fun of serious injuries seems a weird take from a usually well thought boarder.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

that's a straw man and an odd time to straw man me because i never said anything about celebrating injuries. i can be satisfied that these injuries demonstrate the futility of the sport without celebrating the human suffering of the people who get those injuries. in fact, i would argue that continuing to watch and patronize the sport celebrates suffering more than my position. those that watch the NFL like yourself are far more complicit in human suffering than i am, not that that's the sole reason i choose not to watch.

i think the fact that JJ Watt, the poster boy for toughness, grit, and making a difference in the community can't even stay on the field the past few seasons because the game is fundamentally destructive. the NFL built him up into a guy who could raise millions for hurricane relief purely on his celebrity, but his career is essentially toast already.

you can't talk about the NFL without talking about serious injuries. the sport simply isn't safe to play for any length of time. the power of the modern athlete makes the game of football a sport of attrition. it has been for some time. the teams that win are the teams that survive. for me, it's hardly entertaining.

if you're disappointed in me, i'm disappointed that you would resort to a completely empty and stupid strawman about "celebrating injuries". that's the kind of right wing nonsense that's spouted by NFL fans on a weekly basis to rationalize their participation in the modern gladiatorial arena.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I stated concussions as being a reason I'm finding the sport less enjoyable. The toll being taken on the athletes bodies without a guaranteed contract is another reason.

Reading your first sentence that includes references to Watt & OBJ that ends in an exclamation point comes off as mocking and celebrating their injuries. I don't see how you can argue around that.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Nick wrote:I don't see how you can argue around that.

read the long post where i did that.

this is almost exactly equivalent to "don't take a knee and disrespect our troops". one can support player health and revel in the league falling apart, i explained my position on that. unless you staunchly believe that any mention of a player going down having positive effects on society is so inherently awful. to that i would say, "i don't care".
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I stated in the Politics Forum Trump thread that not only do I support players protesting but that I hope their protests hurt the league financially.

The difference here is I am not willing to celebrate the injuries of players - regardless of race or background - as they all ultimately serve billionaire Trump supporting owners. Even if you want to take the twisted position those injuries help bring down the league that is still totally hypocritical.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

Ok Jasper, add the Jemele suspension to reasons the NFL sucks & now I'm agreeing with you more. I'm not deleting my posts but your POV is much stronger!
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm

i just think it's incredibly simplistic to say that recognizing that bad things happening can help your agenda is the same as wishing bad things upon others. i would never trade the health of a person to advance a political agenda. those are not my values. i think it's very reasonable to say "sorry JJ Watt for your horrible injury and the affects it will have on your family, but losing another marketable star will damage the popularity of the league and help save the lives of others."

you can think that immediately jumping to that line of thinking is unsavory, but for me it's natural and i'm fine with that. i'm not going to second guess my thought process because it might be interpreted as unsavory: that's why i made the comparison with the anthem protests.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion
    Waitin' For the Bus

Pizzas : 246
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm

mike ditka is speaking at my alma mater on 10/19, so that just became a more high profile event than they were planning on!

So...he certainly has brain damage from CTE. right? is this debatable at all?
    do we give him a pass on ~some~ of what he says because of this? we don't really know how to react to people with mental illness, but giving them a platform to spout whatever nonsense they want probably isn't the answer.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Ouch. Jesus fuck what a horrendously oblivious thing to say.

I’m not really adding anything to the conversation, just dropped in and felt like I needed to acknowledge the awfulness.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:mike ditka is speaking at my alma mater on 10/19, so that just became a more high profile event than they were planning on!

So...he certainly has brain damage from CTE. right? is this debatable at all?
    do we give him a pass on ~some~ of what he says because of this? we don't really know how to react to people with mental illness, but giving them a platform to spout whatever nonsense they want probably isn't the answer.

Pretty great reason actually that the nfl needs to die and go away. The American public gets their news primarily from watching these idiots 3 times a week, right? That’s not ok.
    undo

Pizzas : 430

Post by undo on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Can we stop talking about how Mike Ditka is a braindead doll of a man who repeats right wing talking points when you pull his string and how he was actually a really shitty football coach?

We celebrate this guy like he's one of the greats but he had the best team of all time and he couldn't even get them into the Super Bowl more than once. So much squandered potential that no one around here ever even speaks of.

Rather than making sure Walter Payton could get a single touchdown in it, the most beautiful, humble player of our lifetime, he calls for Refrigerator fucking Perry to run it in. Treat this moment like it's a big joke and yeah, you don't deserve a second chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm