Duff...
reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 4 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by undo Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 pm

This blew my mind when I first heard it, today its very existence is infuriating and I feel sort of embarrassed that I needed fucking Liars, of all bands, to introduce me to ESG. Yes I know they're far from the first group to sample this and definitely wouldn't be the last but they do it what's probably the least creative and definitely the least reverential way possible. Of course, everyone was too excited that they were 'teaching the indie rockers to dance' or whatever to call them out on it.

This is 11 years old now and this isn't the thread I wanted to do this in but I just needed to get that off my chest.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 4 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by yancy Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm

undo wrote:Of course, everyone was too excited that they were 'teaching the indie rockers to dance' or whatever
    I remember hearing "Mr. Your [sic] on Fire Mr." at Tower Records in Schaumburg, thinking what is this amazing new sound?!, and asking the cool girl at the counter about it. Impressed she made it through that conversation without giving the watkid face to an office worker in khakis.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Spoiler:

so much talent and effort went into making this
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Spoiler:

this is not the first Sara Bareilles song I've posted in this thread and it's not even the worst one I know of that I could post right now.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:50 pm

undo wrote:
    *VERY RARE SUPER EMOTIONAL*
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 am

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:

this is not the first Sara Bareilles song I've posted in this thread and it's not even the worst one I know of that I could post right now.
    Techno Raj Sighting
    Spoiler:
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Was really hoping someone else hadn't posted that already.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:21 pm

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:

Was mildly interested when I thought she was singing about that dark-haired lady but alas.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Spoiler:
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Spoiler:

this vocal effect needs to die
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 am

Those are both fucking hilarious, shit.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 pm

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Pretty good song!
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 pm

I like the second one too, but yeah, the vocals are much too processed/saturated/etc. Modern pop music is compressed enough without running the melody through a Pringles can.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 am

yancy wrote:Haim haters best not watch SNL on November 23rd! Of course, people like that probably hate SNL already. Show has been on for 28 years and is always the worst it's ever been.
    Unsurprisingly, my token "SNL sucks" facebook friend, who is apparently a masochist because he keeps watching it, posted a GET OFF MY LAWN-esque takedown of Haim after tonight's show.

One of the few things I've done right while becoming an old man is that when I get too old to enjoy something, I usually stop wasting my time on it.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Ha.

They made for very convincing 80's teenagers in that "song that's like 'Jesse's' Girl' but isn't 'Jesse's Girl'" sketch.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Spoiler:

i'll put you on the map
    i'll cure you of disease
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:48 am

undo wrote:
    Spoiler:

Homophobia is real, the world is a dangerous place for kids like you, and you won't survive without the support of someone like me compassionate enough to actually accept you.

I wanna see you be brave. No, I don't want to see you overcome bullshit prejudices or change society because that would put me out of a job. Just be brave, okay?

“You can be amazing. You can turn a phrase in to a weapon or a drug. You can be the outcast or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love or you can start speaking up,” croons pop performer Sara Bareilles on her latest single, “Brave.”

The song, which she wrote with Fun lead guitarist Jack Antonoff, is destined to become an LGBT anthem for the ages and was inspired by one of Bareilles’s close friends, who was struggling with coming out of the closest.

Antonoff applauds the track’s LGBT appeal, noting that while the song will undoubtedly take on a variety of meanings for different people it will always be linked to the current civil rights movement in his mind. “I’ll always internalize it as a real civil rights anthem at a time when there are no civil rights anthems and there’s a giant need for [them],” he said in a recent video interview promoting the single.

“I think there’s so much honor and integrity and beauty in being able to be who you are,” Bareilles said, citing one of the many reasons she was compelled to write the lyrics for the song. “It’s important to be brave because by doing that you also give others permission to do the same.”

chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:25 pm

the song from those Windows commercials is a Sara Bareilles song called "Brave"?

mind, meet blown
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Had no idea about the LGBTQ message of the song but found it strange Microsoft would want to describe the decision to buy one of their products as "brave".
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Spoiler:

I guess I've heard this at least 20 times before but never listened to it all the way through until it came on the radio the other day.

This song doesn't even feel finished but I guess it was still a big hit and has people calling him the next Trent Reznor or something?
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

His old band (Under the Influence of Giants) is much better than AWOLNATION. Still kind of d-baggy rock for guys whose girlfriends are into Gavin DeGraw, but less growly & more melodic, with a healthy dose of white man overbite funk/disco. Sounds like Barry Gibb and Fischerspooner tried to make a hit AOR record and missed the mark by a decade in either direction.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 pm

undo wrote:This song doesn't even feel finished but I guess it was still a big hit and has people calling him the next Trent Reznor or something?

people with bad taste are really into incoherent "mood music" shit with overwrought vocals. i had some girl send me the "Sail" video after she had me watch multiple Gotye videos. i agree with what your saying about the incompleteness. it's like there's half a song in the vocal melody and half a song in the music that people misinterpret as a complete idea.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Spoiler:
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 am

Lunged for the pause button 18 seconds into that video. This is what your Eminem fandom hath wrought, lower middle class white america.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 am

Spoiler:

why do people still complain about Nickelback when stuff like this is getting played on the radio

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am