reuben
Ted Falconi
31 posters

Television Discussion Thread

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

Television Discussion Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Television Discussion Thread

Post by undo Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 am

I always assumed that the opening credits of Friends introduced the cast in the order it does because it was decided that people would like seeing the 3 girls introduced before the 3 guys.

Now I C that the cast is actually introduced in alphabetical order.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm not sure why that coincidence is still noteworthy to me every time I C that show.

It also has always struck me as transparent that David Schwimmer is trying to grope Jennifer Aniston when he dives across the couch during the credits but I've never heard anyone mention it before.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:35 am

The ALF Christmas special (Season 2) is a tough watch...infant mortality, suicide, grief.

I must admit that the old Alfer had me shedding a few tears.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 am

I think Mr. Robot is trying to transition from being one of the best shows on TV to one of the most boring. The first 2 episodes of the new season have been awful.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 pm

I just watched season 1 of Mr. Robot, and when I was halfway through, I started looking at the DVDs because I was so into it I wanted to watch the episode commentaries. Then the reveal near the end with Christian Slater and Darlene made the whole thing kind of not too interesting anymore.
    I'm not in any hurry 4 season 2 now.

Probably going to check out either Stranger Things, The Americans or season 2 of Fargo next.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:55 am

Season 2 of Fargo is great.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 am

Girlfriend and I have been watching Boston Legal once more from season 2 forward. Still holds up as highly entertaining television and one of my favorite shows I've seen.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 am

I stopped watching Mr. Robot after the third episode this new season. I've watched 3 episodes of The Night Of. It sure is your typical HBO series. I'll watch the whole thing because I'm compelled by it just enough. Part of me feels bad about myself though because I am clearly a sucker 4 90% of what that channel produces.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Does anyone else watch Rick and Morty
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 am

I've been re-watching House of Cards and, looking through this thread, don't C much discussion about it.

Is this show not liked in the Garden? I've only watched until the end of Season 2 and I suspect what I love about season 1 won't be present in season 3 or 4, but I think I'm going to give them a try anyway.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:17 pm

When I was growing up I was really into movies. So the whole way through middle school and high school, all I wanted were a few movie posters to put up in my room. There was no way to get them in a pre-Internet world. The music stores at the mall didn't have them. The shitty gift stores at the mall didn't have them, I assure U.

Every kid in every sitcom or movie from the 80s or set in the 80s has movie posters hanging in their room and it's always implied that they didn't even have to try hard to find them.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:26 am

I used to go to local theaters and ask 4 the posters after the movie was done running. Usually they would give them away no problem, but sometimes I had to buy them 4 like $5. It was really easy to get them though, yeah.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:12 pm

I used to have a cardboard cutout of Tom Cruise from Jerry Maguire that some family friends didn't want anymore, and apparently I must have thought it was really cool. He's just standing there on the phone looking concerned about something.

I think they got it from a movie theater, at least or knew someone who did.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:18 pm

I did manage to score free promo posters 4 Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots from a record store in Oak Park circa 2002.

At the time this totally seemed like a step towards making my room look like that of a "cool teenager," but in hindsight dialed the gayness levels up way higher than a life-size Tom Cruise ever managed to reach.

LOL!
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:27 pm

I got a Baller Blockin' poster from a record store back in college. Not ashamed of that at all
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Paves wrote:I did manage to score free promo posters 4 Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots from a record store in Oak Park circa 2002.

At the time this totally seemed like a step towards making my room look like that of a "cool teenager," but in hindsight dialed the gayness levels up way higher than a life-size Tom Cruise ever managed to reach.

LOL!

Whenever I C a reference 4 YHF or Yoshimi I'm reminded of those wild days listening to Kot & Dero debut songs off those album and give their opinions.

Fucking crazy times.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Is season 2 of The Wire any good? Because I only ever watched the first episode and it seemed like a completely different show and I kind of hated it.

Do we completely lose Avon, D'Angelo, Stringer Bell and Omar and get these dock worker stereotypes instead? I enjoyed how the first season was comprised of a bunch of isolated violent incidents that culminated in one big moment at the middle of the season, but leading off season 2 with 13 dead women inside a storage container, which would be huge national news, feels like it breaks from the believable routine of season 1 and jumps straight into Law & Order SVU territory and that's not what I signed up to watch.

Does it get better and is it necessary to watch before moving on to other seasons?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Haven't seen the show in a while, so what exactly happens in season 2, I forget. But while I was cool on the dock workers, I did enjoy the season and did find them humanized by the end of it. Stringer and Omar and everyone R still central (as central as anyone in this show is, anyway) and things that happened in season 1 continue reverberating. Definitely wouldn't skip it.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Stranger Things was enjoyable, mad overrated.

Thank U.  I mean, the tribute to its influences is great, the Carpenter-esque score is an amazing listen (like Dungen doing psych folk, or Witchcraft doing Sabbath), but it just AIN'T ALL THAT, PEOPLE!!!

Edit: Wait, how did that happen? I meant to quote Falconi's post and inadvertently erased most of it and ended up editing Falconi's post directly...whoops. Sorry, Falco
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:56 pm

I think that season 2 of The Wire is just about perfect.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:
     Stranger Things was enjoyable, mad overrated.

Thank U.  I mean, the tribute to its influences is great, the Carpenter-esque score is an amazing listen (like Dungen doing psych folk, or Witchcraft doing Sabbath), but it just AIN'T ALL THAT, PEOPLE!!!

Edit: Wait, how did that happen? I meant to quote Falconi's post and inadvertently erased most of it and ended up editing Falconi's post directly...whoops. Sorry, Falco

Whoever U R, U edited his post instead of quoting him.

Maybe Stranger Things is overrated, but I'm enjoying watching it way more than a lot of the prestige television of the last few years and is an absolute joy compared to this season of Orange is the New Black.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:46 am

C-poots wrote:I've been re-watching House of Cards and, looking through this thread, don't C much discussion about it.

Is this show not liked in the Garden? I've only watched until the end of Season 2 and I suspect what I love about season 1 won't be present in season 3 or 4, but I think I'm going to give them a try anyway.

this show is garbage
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Stranger Things was very fun, but some of the storytelling was pretty weak. Too much of the suspense is generated by keeping the audience in the dark about the rules of the world they're inhabiting and the main characters being reckless and getting themselves into trouble. It's very Scooby-Doo, "let's split up gang!" Would have been a lot more satisfying, I thought, if the characters acted more reasonably.

Lots of great moments in the show though and I still recommend it! The public fervor 4 it seems to be precisely because it is somewhat "trashy". Like Duff says, it feels different than "serious", "prestige" television.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:26 pm

jesus jones wrote:
    C-poots wrote:I've been re-watching House of Cards and, looking through this thread, don't C much discussion about it.

this show is garbage

Thought this was a WP quote at first. On rewatching I couldn't finish the second season but I do think the first was really good.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 992
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:17 pm

undo wrote:When I was growing up I was really into movies. So the whole way through middle school and high school, all I wanted were a few movie posters to put up in my room. There was no way to get them in a pre-Internet world. The music stores at the mall didn't have them. The shitty gift stores at the mall didn't have them, I assure U.

Every kid in every sitcom or movie from the 80s or set in the 80s has movie posters hanging in their room and it's always implied that they didn't even have to try hard to find them.

Paves wrote:I did manage to score free promo posters 4 Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots from a record store in Oak Park circa 2002.

LOL!

God why don't I just hang out here and post all day. I should be here more and C more things like this.

I enjoyed the hell out of Stranger Things. Having a sweet soundtrack, some cute little kids with acting chops and Winona Rider is more than enough 4 me, so I don't even care that that demagorgan thing looked like some dumb bullshit. Recommended.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am