Vinyl for dummies.

Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 41
    DispositionIntransigent

Re: Vinyl for dummies.

Post by Ҩ on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Nothing is going to get established here. I'm leaving this alone.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm not going the vintage route because I'm lazy and young. I'm still mostly financially dependent so it makes sense for me to use my excess finances to start funding a reliable home soundsystem that will last me quite a while.

The reason I snapped is the same reason I snapped before. It is just actually unbelievable to me that someone can be into music, listen to it as often as you seem to do, and talk about it on the Internet and remain pigeonholed by these classic rock and roll acts. Just seems depraved to me.

To each their own though, whatever.
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 30

Post by spiritofeden on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Your financially dependent and you are going to get a $300 record player?
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 598

Post by Nick on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:53 pm

DePaul University student from Naperville, Illinois representing the stereotype well the last page.
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Pizzas : 64

Post by ? Ospink on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Speaking of restoring vintage tables, I brought this baby back to life today

Seriously, I need to get a job.
    Ned Braden
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 503
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:37 pm

A few years back I "upgraded" from my basic sony turntable (with all the cool press to play and return needle after end of album features) when it broke to a USB manual turntable. Really no noticeable difference in sound, but now I need to get up to turn it off even if i'm half passed out on the couch. My laziness and general aesthetics are giving me the itch to buy a classy cool looking new turntable… I'm thinking price range below 300, but should probably wait a little bit since I just bought a house and a car, and it would be difficult justifying this totally inappropriate splurge purchase to the wife.
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 30

Post by spiritofeden on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:09 am

Thats awesome Sid. what sort of condition was it in when you got it?
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Post by ? Ospink on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:32 am

spiritofeden wrote:Thats awesome Sid.  what sort of condition was it in when you got it?
    Trashed. Totalled.

My son bought it on ebay a while back. Gorgeous Dual 1214 in "good" condition - a true vintage table if there ever was such a thing. Unfortunately, the knucklehead seller shipped it in a box without any proper packing material, so naturally it arrived in pieces. He got a full refund, and no request to send it back, so he left it with me. It's been sitting on a shelf in my basement for the past two years. I finally got around to looking at it today.

Gotta give it up for German Engineering. The tonearm bearing needed to be reassembled, and the dust cover is a lost cause, but everything else seems to be working fine after a heavy dose of WD40. I really do love these idler-drive turntables.
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Post by ? Ospink on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 am

Ned Braden wrote:A few years back I "upgraded" from my basic sony turntable (with all the cool press to play and return needle after end of album features) when it broke to a USB manual turntable. Really no noticeable difference in sound, but now I need to get up to turn it off even if i'm half passed out on the couch. My laziness and general aesthetics are giving me the itch to buy a classy cool looking new turntable…   I'm thinking price range below 300, but should probably wait a little bit since I just bought a house and a car, and it would be difficult justifying this totally inappropriate splurge purchase to the wife.
    Oh, it's appropriate. But you probably should wait, rather than "fuckin' finance it". You know that's right.

When the time is right, you could do much worse than this sweet Denon model: http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP-300F-Fully-Automatic-Turntable?sc=2&category=348
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 am

I actually don't even know how I have been forced to defend myself against the idea of using my privileged upbringing to fund a soundsystem that will last me for a decade or more.

There are worse things for me to be using my money. Do you guys know a lot of nineteen year old kids who aren't financially dependent or something?
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 161

Post by raj gibson on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Any of you vinyl hounds have thoughts on good places to find an old 7"?

A friend of mine wants this record: http://www.discogs.com/Squires-Going-All-The-Way-Go-Ahead/master/509061

I don't see it on ebay or Discogs marketplace.
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 pm

What's the time frame? Set up an alert on ebay if it isn't too soon.
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 338

Post by yancy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:27 pm

GEMM.com tends to have like, everything, but I only see listings for the full LP of Going All the Way.
    reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 600

Post by reuben on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 pm

That's the American Squires, not the Neil Young one, right?
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Post by ? Ospink on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 pm

raj bigson wrote:Any of you vinyl hounds have thoughts on good places to find an old 7"?

A friend of mine wants this record: http://www.discogs.com/Squires-Going-All-The-Way-Go-Ahead/master/509061

I don't see it on ebay or Discogs marketplace.
    No luck, but keep this bookmarked: http://www.musicstack.com

They're usually pretty reliable for tracking down rare 45s.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 161

Post by raj gibson on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks all. Very helpful advice.
    Ted Falconi
    Hot For Pizza

Pizzas : 271

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:56 pm

My daughter's getting one of these
    Beatles '65, and the picture disc of the Star Wars soundtrack for her 9th birthday.
    undo

Pizzas : 408

Post by undo on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Everything about this is completely insane.

Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Guys, I never made that soundsystem. Fuck.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 36
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:15 am

Everything in its right place
    undo

Post by undo on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

Would U consider it a waste of money to purchase a recording like this on vinyl?

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/depressive_silence
    https://www.discogs.com/Depressive-Silence-Depressive-Silence/release/4052802

I mean, if U like it and want to have it and it means enough to U, then it's not a waste of money but would something like this that was initially a cassette-only release 20 years ago actually sound any better on a record? It says "Mastered specifically 4 the LP-format" but what does that even mean?
    undo

Post by undo on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:31 pm

I rescued one of these from the garbage a year ago and I'm just trying to get it up and running now. This video isn't mine.

I don't know if this is a high-quality amplifier or a piece of garbage. It turns on fine but unlike the unit in this video, the volume control doesn't seem to work correctly. It's just really loud all the time, and trying to turn it down doesn't do anything.

I know nothing about fixing electronics or restoring old equipment like this. I'd like to make the best of it, though.
    ? Ospink
    Republican Cousin

Post by ? Ospink on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 pm

70s Sherwood amps were great. Made in Chicago. The very first time I drove solo into the city was to have my Sherwood amp repaired. They fixed it free of charge while I waited.
    undo wrote:I rescued one of these from the garbage a year ago and I'm just trying to get it up and running now. This video isn't mine.

I don't know if this is a high-quality amplifier or a piece of garbage. It turns on fine but unlike the unit in this video, the volume control doesn't seem to work correctly. It's just really loud all the time, and trying to turn it down doesn't do anything.

I know nothing about fixing electronics or restoring old equipment like this. I'd like to make the best of it, though.
    Did you try any other inputs?

An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 598

Post by Nick on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Ordered Blonde from XL this morning. I usually buy my favorite album each year on vinyl and don't foresee enjoying another recording as much as that.
    undo

Post by undo on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 pm

? Ospink wrote:70s Sherwood amps were great.   Made in Chicago.  The very first time I drove solo into the city was to have my Sherwood amp repaired.  They fixed it free of charge while I waited.
    undo wrote:I rescued one of these from the garbage a year ago and I'm just trying to get it up and running now. This video isn't mine.

Did you try any other inputs?
    I get the same result when connecting a CD player to AUX1 or AUX2. The volume is just LOUD and there's no way to turn it down. However, the portable CD player I was testing this with has its own volume control, so if I connect it using the headphone jack as opposed to the "line out" jack, I can control the volume that way. Regardless of whether or not that works -- also, this is probably the first time I've ever wondered why portable CD players had 2 audio connections like that -- that doesn't really change the fact that there's something very wrong with this unit.

Connecting my turntable to the phono inputs, even without actually playing a record, the unit started making rhythmic buh-bump sounds over and over again, quietly at first but slowly louder and louder until I just had to turn it off for fear of blowing my speakers (this phenomenon would cause the decibel meters to slowly spike higher and higher and into the red, which probably doesn't give you any clue as to what's happening here but I just wanted to mention that anyway). Again, the volume was all the way down here. This happened a few times. I tried again the next day and then everything seemed to be fine, but the main volume knob on the far right still didn't control everything. The smaller "phono level" volume knob on the far left does work and the volume can be turned up and down using that. I don't know why this seems to have two separate volume controls, if that's actually what they are.

Later it started to smell funny and I couldn't tell if something inside was burning or not so I turned it off and unplugged it. I still haven't opened it up to look inside -- like I'd even know what I was looking for if I did -- so I don't know what it looks like in there. 

If it would be helpful, assuming you could even diagnose the problem from where you are, I could take some pictures or try to record some of this happening.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am