footwork

undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 397

footwork

Post by undo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:48 pm

I miss the thread we had on the old board for this. Don't want to stop any talk about it in other threads but I just wanted an all-purpose stop for it here.

If this isn't one of the best albums of this sound -- as if albums are the standard by which all music must be judged -- then I don't know what is.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 35
    DispositionIntransigent

Re: footwork

Post by Ҩ on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Dope track, yeah. I've had this album on my hard drive for ever but never got to listening to it. Looks like that's going to change now. Thanks.

Also Spinn & Rashad are opening for Chance the Rapper next week I think. I'm not going because I can't afford the ticket price and am going to see Dan Bejar instead.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 36
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 am

Young smokes joint from either last year or ealier this year is one of the best. Dj diamond has an ep from this year up on spotify that's dope as fuck too.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 320
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Traxman is gonna be at MCA next Friday, but so area couple of dudes from Das Racist so I dunno.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am

Dj Rashad - Double Cup

Best footwork related release to date. Smashes everything that came before it while referencing almost every form of popular dance music for the last 30 years. Production is stellar throughout which could be a detractor if your interest in the genre is more rooted in the rawer minimally produced sound. The production is a welcome change for myself as sonics are a key part of my listening experience. Of course I liked the early shit for its dirty charm but sounds evolve and it sounds like Rashad has added to the template. Dudes will be trying to play catchup for years. Amazing.
    undo

Post by undo on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Last edited by undo on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:25 pm

undo i'm sorry but i have no idea what you're on about

like i dont understand what a) b) c) are about at all. and as for actually listening to the music, they probably fucking live it, blast it from boomboxes and go to all the great little clubs (sorry for stereotyping). and as for white people getting into footwork, i just dunno man. you dont have to be a black chicago kid to dig the music, just like you dont have to be french and live in paris to dig gainsbourg, just like you dont have to be a skinny white hipster to dig grizzly bear. just because vurt is a kiwi family dad doesnt mean he cant dig his drexciya and sam cooke records, right

and all those guys (the teklife cru etc) wanted to do was make some banging tunes, thats all there is to it probably

although yeah from what i got from his ra interview what dj rashad wanted to do with his album was a grand statement kinda thing

and dance music is definitely at its most diverse right now, obviously - for the better

and fuck reddit

chicken invaders
    Republican Cousin

Pizzas : 4

Post by chicken invaders on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

undo I kind of see what you are getting at but that post is a bit like an unfinished hipster runoff article.

curious as to how you view a dude like Machinedrum, who made one of this genre's seminal lps.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I like footwork because as a club sound it still sounds fresh in 2013. Not much else in the way of club based dance music sounds innovative, not to say that makes other E music bad but I am intrigued by shit that sounds fresh. What's there to 'get'? If you follow the music or are a musician you may pick up on nuances that others might not but I don't think that makes it any less enjoyable to anyone. People who like cutting edge music are gonna be drawn to stuff that sounds fresh to them because its what they seek. Your average pop fan seeks structure and routine.

What makes you say or think that other races wouldnt be embraced in the scene?
    phixed
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 47

Post by phixed on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Undo: I was knew Gant Garrard/Gantman/Gant Wilson and Traxman (among others) from back in my rave days when they both produced house & booty music. It doesn't surprise me that they are into the footwork scene now. Both of them were totally into the early juke scene by the late 90's and playing a bunch of dj godfather and other ghetto breaks during their sets.

Albums vs tracks? With these guys it's probably dependent on whatever the record label is wanting from them and willing to pay for.

Regarding audience, back in the 90's then it wasn't uncommon for them to be spinning to 1,500 kids at parties with 85% of them of white so if that is what their typical audience outside of Chicago looks like today it's just business as usual.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

I don't think Undo's asking a strictly race question more than one of context. When I listen to this (obvs as a tourist, like how I consume all my music) it's while commuting to my job or sitting at home reading Slate or whatever, presumably removed from the context in which it was created and was designed to be enjoyed in, no threat of dancing anywhere to be found. I remember a house DJ being interviewed a few years back dismissing trance music as something dudes stroke their chins to (to paraphrase), which is mostly how I consume this music and all other music. It's easy to wonder if something crucial is getting lost here.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 157

Post by raj gibson on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:51 pm

first time I read this thread I missed the edit mark and thought everyone was just liberally interpreting raccoonfall.gif as a figurative but very elaborate and cogent criticism of the footwork scene
    undo

Post by undo on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:24 am

rubberman wrote:and fuck reddit
    True words.

chicken invaders wrote:undo I kind of see what you are getting at but that post is a bit like an unfinished hipster runoff article.
    I can see why someone would say this and I have complicated feelings about it.

chicken invaders wrote:curious as to how you view a dude like Machinedrum, who made one of this genre's seminal lps.
    I love Machinedrum and I'm sure he's influenced by this genre but his sound seems all over the place compared to the "pure" footwork of most of the artists in this thread. At least that's how it seems to me. This is not a way of saying that he's "diverse" and footwork artists/DJs aren't. Because that's not true. He's definitely borrowing footwork-isms in his music. Maybe that's why I really like Vapor City, love Room(s), but am sometimes bored by his older stuff. But I don't think he's taken footwork and "improved" it or anything like that.

BGwaves wrote:What makes you say or think that other races wouldnt be embraced in the scene?
    I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube of people juking and I don't see a lot of diversity in them. I don't think that's a "problem" or that anyone is trying exclude people. Not really sure sure what I'm expecting them to do for me.

The artists seem like friendly and chill dudes.

Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:10 pm

This is the first footwork I ever heard.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Race is probably less a point of exclusion as it is a force of credibility, which has a lot to do with why nobody is talking about this guy in here...

BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Does he have something new out this year?
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 am

I have no idea. What do you guys think of Addison Groove?
    undo

Post by undo on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:53 am

I bought an Addison Groove CD on impulse and I hated most of what was on it.

I wanted more "Footcrab" but instead I got... Spank Rock?
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:31 am

Yeah. I haven't listened to him in like two years but I was way into "Footcrab/Dumbshit" when that single came out.

That was actually probably the impetus that had me exploring more shit on Planet Mu/Tekklife/etc.

I'm pretty sure that Rashad is my favorite artist this year. Double Cup and the Rollin EP are two of my favorite releases of the year.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:15 am

I'm taking off to go to some party. I'm definitely gonna try to get this played at some point tonight...

Will be drinking some King Cobra and celebrating a friend's birthday.
    DBaggins
    Stock Boy at Marshall's

Pizzas : 25

Post by DBaggins on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 am

Not gonna lie, I can't stand any of this shit.
    reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 589

Post by reuben on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:12 am

DBaggins, thank you for your candor.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:24 am

So, how bout dem Bears?

Last edited by wp64 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm an idiot)
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 pm

wp64 wrote:Race is probably less a point of exclusion as it is a force of credibility, which has a lot to do with why nobody is talking about this guy in here...

I know zero about this guy other than this image and am gonna go ahead and say that race is a pretty minor source of his credibility issues.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Think so? Are you forgetting this is a genre of music partially grounded on getting girl's to shake their ass? Also, that watch tattoo on his wrist. It says percolator on the face of the watch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 am