footwork

chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 179

Re: footwork

Post by chrondog on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 pm

footwork seems like something i would enjoy, but this incoherent discussion here doesn't really help
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 35
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:42 am

Fix it then.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 36
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:25 am

Chrissy murderbot hasn't released anything new since like 2011.
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 335

Post by yancy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 pm

jasperness wrote:footwork seems like something i would enjoy
    DJ Nate youtube on page one definitely seems like your thing. Can't believe you aren't already a huge footwork booster.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 pm

yancy wrote:
    jasperness wrote:footwork seems like something i would enjoy
    DJ Nate youtube on page one definitely seems like your thing. Can't believe you aren't already a huge footwork booster.
    i listen to so many more podcasts than new music these days because of the "feed" nature of it. there's a new podcast every day or week without me having to do anything! which is why i spend most of my music time these days listening to pop singles just to see if i like them or listening to Hall & Oates on Spotify.

that DJ Nate is hot shit and the DJ Rashad tape was something i thought i should download.

BGwaves wrote:I like footwork because as a club sound it still sounds fresh in 2013. Not much else in the way of club based dance music sounds innovative, not to say that makes other E music bad but I am intrigued by shit that sounds fresh. What's there to 'get'? If you follow the music or are a musician you may pick up on nuances that others might not but I don't think that makes it any less enjoyable to anyone. People who like cutting edge music are gonna be drawn to stuff that sounds fresh to them because its what they seek. Your average pop fan seeks structure and routine.
    this is definitely the most spot on post. the rhythmic structure of your average footwork song seems pretty unconventional and the discordant use of samples really keeps you on your toes. i like how these rhythms encourage you to dance differently than your typical house music. i honestly would describe it as the urge to "do footwork"! it makes me want to dance anxiously and spasmodically. it's the music of our ADD generation!!

Last edited by jasperness on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Yeah, that Nate shit is def more raw. You'd probably really like the dj rashad stuff. It's all on soundcloud.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

BGwaves wrote:Yeah, that Nate shit is def more raw. You'd probably really like the dj rashad stuff. It's all on soundcloud.
    i was using "hot shit" as a term of endearment Laughing 
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

pretty phenomenal stuff here

I'M ON THE TRAIN!
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 pm

footwork to me is just a bunch of kids with sample pads and anxiety issues
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 am

DJ Rashad album is definitely top 10 of new things i've heard this year

only other electronic thing i've really listened to all the way through this year is the Disclosure record (which is sweet)
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 am

jasperness wrote:
    BGwaves wrote:Yeah, that Nate shit is def more raw. You'd probably really like the dj rashad stuff. It's all on soundcloud.
    i was using "hot shit" as a term of endearment Laughing 
    I know dawg! You seemed to indicate you hadn't heard much of the music and I was referring to the production. Wasn't directly replying to 'hot shit'
    Bruegel

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Double Cup is one of my faves this year. had me revisiting loads of early jungle (in large part due to the 'Everyday of My Life' sample but also because of the general approach to loops and samples and beat editing...reawakened some of my excitement for that genre)

Lil Jabba's Scales is another footworky LP from this year that caught my attention. I know he's associated with the Tek-Life dudes but he really does his own thing. You heard this one BG?

I was listening to tunes on shuffle on the plane home and a Sensate Focus track came up just after an RP Boo joint and it got me thinking on how much I would love Mark Fell to bring in a top footwork producer for one of those EPs. Crazier circles have overlapped in this day and age and I think there is some really fertile common ground to explore.
    rubberman
    Gash Hound

Pizzas : 4

Post by rubberman on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:01 pm

yeah i dig the lil jabba album quite a bit
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Post by BGwaves on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Have not heard that jabba, will def check.
    Nick
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 584

Post by Nick on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm

This is going to become one of those obnoxious threads I have to keep clicking so I don't see a full mug next to Elite Music when I check the board.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Bruegel wrote:Double Cup is one of my faves this year. had me revisiting loads of early jungle (in large part due to the 'Everyday of My Life' sample but also because of the general approach to loops and samples and beat editing...reawakened some of my excitement for that genre)
    it reminds me a tiny bit of the "rave" revival from a few years with Zomby and all those dudes which i think is tangentially related to jungle somehow. i'll defer to you experts, but the frenetic nature of footwork creates an exhilarating listening experience.

everyone doesn't feel the same way, but for me it's really hard to not get excited listening to something this creative:

Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 am

Seconding the above statement.

Currently listening to the Traxman Fact Mix from a year or so ago. That sample that kicks in at like the 9:40 mark and what he does with it is pure bliss.

Whooo neeeds forreeevvvaaaahhhhhhhhhh, forreeeevvvvvvaaaaaaahhhh
    chicken invaders
    Republican Cousin

Pizzas : 4

Post by chicken invaders on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Bruegel wrote:Double Cup is one of my faves this year. had me revisiting loads of early jungle (in large part due to the 'Everyday of My Life' sample but also because of the general approach to loops and samples and beat editing...reawakened some of my excitement for that genre).
    got any recs here?
    Bruegel

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

providing the bulk of my workout soundtracks atm:

http://m.mixcloud.com/HardcoreJunglePirate/
    undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 398

Post by undo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 pm

http://freshmoon.bandcamp.com/album/freshmoon-presents-808k-v-1

http://inyourspeakers.com/content/review/219-freshmoon-presents-808k-vol-1-06202013

more fun than the cover art looks
    undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 398

Post by undo on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:02 pm

What movie (?) is the dialogue in this track sampled from?

I ask because I've heard it used in at least 3 other tracks before.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 320
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Apparently it's Juice, which I've been meaning to see for like two decades now.
    chrondog
    Fuckin Thot

Post by chrondog on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:10 am

"I Don't Give a Fuck" is such a brilliant track

it accomplishes so much with space and the absence of sound
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Hit me with some classic Chicago House suggestions. This shit bangs.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:35 pm

This isn't really footwork related but I didn't want to start another thread just to express this grievance. I went into Gramophone again today and asked if they are ever looking for part-time employees. The dude basically gave me the most pretentious answer in the world. "We aren't really worried about where you went to school or go to school. We are looking for people with a lot of music knowledge and mostly DJs. What is your music knowledge and computer skills?"

I just looked at him and mumbled some shit and asked for my shit back so I could get the fuck out of the store. He noticed my Burial record and announced that he had a new EP coming out soon. I informed him that it already came out...

I've gone in there before looking for Downwards/Sandwell shit. Or some L.I.E.S. output. They didn't have anything. They also don't have any Tekklife/Flight Muzik releases. It's a really disorganized and stupid store and I can never figure out what the fuck they think they are about. It pretty much encapsulates everything I hate about people who claim to be into dance music.

Am I into dance music? I definitely know more about it than the typical college kid and take it pretty seriously. But then I go into stores like this and they just have stupid, esoteric categorizations of genres that do not make any sense to me. What does it mean to be into dance music? What are these people on? Can anyone explain this to me? Bruegel? Vurt? Someone?

I've basically just come to the conclusion that I am a dance music tourist and end up digging a lot of things that Thom Yorke reps and shit. I don't really have a problem with that though, I guess?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:12 pm