workingman's blues

WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

workingman's blues - Page 9 Empty Re: workingman's blues

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Also, Paves, my quality of life is in no way affected, positively or negatively, by this board and my time on it. I'm also not amused at the idea of it being a "lose" for my life to get better than it is. But if it makes you feel better, keep going man. I am sure you must have more sick material and hot takes.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Damn.  Well, that's great to hear!  Keep on grabbing life by the balls and adamantly refusing to let go.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:13 pm

no
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:15 pm

It's not at all pleasant to wake up to an essentializing narrative about yourself. It's very upsetting actually. There are a lot of very obnoxious double-standards that most of us here use to maintain this sort of exclusive boys club that is really obnoxious to me. How many posts have I made in total in that gash hounds thread? Like four or five? And almost all of them are now almost three years old? But of course this gets used against me as if I am on here all the time talking about my sexual escapades and my opinions of Indian women... If almost anyone else on the board talks about these things it is somehow good boarding.

There is a difference between disruptive and obnoxious posts that I was making about your online meetings with venture capitalists that you think qualify as the workingman's blues and your attacking every possible vulnerability to my personality or persona. C-Poots, I can make a very convincing argument that you are nothing but a philistine. I don't do that and I don't think of you that way because for the most part I read your posts with generosity and interest. I do that with basically everyone here.

But there is this absolutely toxic way in which that gets thrown in my face that makes it really hard to board here at times. Paves' post about 'grabbing life by the balls' is a pretty good example of the pervasive logic of this board now. It's obnoxious and relies on such stupid assumptions about what life is all about and anything that exists outside of that is treated with such hostility. Quit speaking with such certainty about everything. That is what is killing this fucking board. It isn't about frequency of posts.

If you really wanna rehabilitate a dying board then stop relying on this stupid way of talking and thinking that kills every bit of eagerness. I'm not interested in hearing these bullshit platitudes that feed into some philosophy of Pavement 1st Rad's Eightfold Path of Rock n Roll bliss. It's just boring and dismissive and it makes everything turn into these diagnostic posts about what we should or should not be doing with our time.

Basically, fuck off.
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Post by _ Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I can make a very convincing argument that you are nothing but a philistine.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:38 pm

ftr, i thought WP's "informal Skype conversation with a venture capitalist" line was funny

i do not, however, care to read a Vox explainer on it from either side.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Jesus Christ WP, I didn't "essentialize" you by bringing up elements of your boarding history, but I also don't feel as though I need to apologize simply because you've yet again read too much into it and have gotten hurt by it.

I don't dislike you as a person and I do indeed read most of your posts unless they are simply too long to hold my interest or fall completely outside my scope of interest. The thing is, when you act obnoxious and direct it towards me, I feel completely fine responding in such a way. I don't think that these things I've brought up define you as a person or even as a "boarder", but they were all subjects that you found personally interesting that I'm sure others of us didn't -- exactly the same way you felt about my speaking with a VC and trying to start a business.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:52 pm

_ wrote:I can make a very convincing argument that you are nothing but a philistine.
    I know. We could all very easily turn on each other if we wanted. That's my point.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 pm

I'm really not sure how I could read that post in any other way than it just being a very personal attack. And one that is offensive, inaccurate, and dismissive. I'm not asking for an apology. I don't want one. But it just makes this place less welcoming to me. I'm also just on edge about other things going on in my life so that certainly has a lot to do with my reaction.

Either way, the general consensus on this board is that everyone who continues to board here does so only for nostalgia or something. Which doesn't make sense to me because I wasn't even around for most of the SOMB heyday. And I was constantly being shoved out of the original Members-Only Ninja Turtles Fan Forum. The exclusivity of this as a small club of like minded individuals is fun but it gets to a point that is stifling, at least for me.

Beyond that, I don't have much else to say. I'm going to take my annual months long board hiatus now. I'll be back when my life is less shitty and I have more free time again.

Good luck!
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 am

I board here cause I like you guys a lot. I didn't even join jdff till it was well on the way to dying. I like you WP. You seem like a real life solid dude and I thank you for the sound advice you recently provided me.

In keeping with the thread, just wanna point out that I'm full on unemployed now, but hopefully with a little light at the end of the tunnel in a few months. Till then, I'll just struggle with the looming divorce and maybe see Pearl Jam live in a few weeks (how I do nostalgia).
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 am

Ҩ wrote:I'm really not sure how I could read that post in any other way than it just being a very personal attack. And one that is offensive, inaccurate, and dismissive. I'm not asking for an apology. I don't want one. But it just makes this place less welcoming to me. I'm also just on edge about other things going on in my life so that certainly has a lot to do with my reaction.

I hope you find solace with the shit going on in your life honestly because I know first hand how difficult it can be to deal with some of that stuff, and I'm not calling for you to be banned or anything. I typically have an easy enough time skipping over your posts if they seem like they're gonna piss me off, while I still find some of the others interesting.

But for someone who is often so brash, offensive, and dismissive yourself, you have a really thin skin about this sort of stuff. Maybe we'd be more receptive to discussing some of the things you find interesting if you weren't so fervently and violently opposed to the shit you don't like. If you tone down the caricature of yourself we'd all likely be more receptive to speaking with you.

And Ned, best of luck to you buddy. Unemployment is super tough but try to do something you wouldn't have been able to with a full time job. I look back on my long stretch of unemployment and realized it was a blessing in disguise. Do you get unemp benefits?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:14 am

I got a pretty sizable severance check, and only fair since this whole deal was god damn bullshit. So that should keep me going for a while at least.
    As far as doing other stuff, relationship troubles are really cramping my style at the moment, but I'm hoping to be get to at least a limited working proficiency in Russian in the next few months, and I may even teach myself how to make and consume cocktails like a grown up.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:00 pm

C-poots wrote:
    But for someone who is often so brash, offensive, and dismissive yourself, you have a really thin skin about this sort of stuff. Maybe we'd be more receptive to discussing some of the things you find interesting if you weren't so fervently and violently opposed to the shit you don't like. If you tone down the caricature of yourself we'd all likely be more receptive to speaking with you.

Can't really dispute this at all!

WP, something that your response reminds me of is that I rarely post anything beyond occasional music/film related bullshit, which I keep to a minimum since hardly anyone cares, and the people who do have little to say about it, anyway.

You, on the other hand, have turned this place into your diary, coupled with a posting compulsion that compels you to waltz into threads (such as this one) to which you have nothing to contribute and act like a know-it-all prick.  And since there's less activity than ever, I get the sense that you are incessantly babbling into the very void that this site fills in your life.  From my own experience, I am assuming this is because you are "in college," and that academic work fucks with your perception of what self-awareness actually entails in any kind of practical sense.

I admit to having indulged in a version of this sort of behavior years ago.  But the sense of community actually kind of was stronger, for the simple fact that more people were posting more frequently about a variety of topics.  Now the community aspect consists of a few people offering up brief responses to you going on and on about bullshit that you just can't keep to yourself but maybe should.  I'm mainly referring to how your long-winded pseudo-intellectual pissing and moaning about existential misery is countered with these retardedly abrasive tendencies that keep me from enjoying your persona on any level.

And that's all perfectly okay and easy to ignore.  It just means that once in a while your posts are going to conjure up some real negativity.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Well, the more I post the more I dig myself into a hole right now. I agree that my reaction is extremely thin-skinned. And I did a similar sort of thing with Jasper about a month ago that was pretty fucking lame. I don't have any defense for that and I'm not sure why I am lashing out like a child.

And yeah, I do treat certain aspects of this board as kind of a diary, which of course worries me because there is a level of transparency between my boarding persona and actual self that others of you might not have been so willing to adopt. Part of it is that I started boarding here when I was so young that it just kind of happened that way. It can be embarrassing and was the reason I deleted the first installment of the WP64 thread.

As for the caricature that I've built. Well, I'm really not sure. I can't control how you guys read my posts. Since my life has pretty objectively devolved into total shit over the past few months there has been cause for me to moan to an extent. I try to separate those things from my 'pseudo-intellectual' posts both in real life and on this board. I feel like I've done a better job of that lately.

The indulgent, pseudo-intellectual critique though is what irks me most. Because yeah, I'll confess to that. But isn't that what an internet message boarding community is kind of for? I mean, Paves, I would happily read five paragraph long posts about pretty much anything you had to say. No matter how esoteric it might seem. That goes for all of you. I realize that few people here have the time and willingness to do that ever but I'm just saying. Actually, I still have a four page Word document saved somewhere on this computer from PMs you sent me about music recommendations back on SOMB!

I'm really not saying anything right now. I apologize for the theatrics. I'm still probably going to take a break from this place for a little bit. I'm a much less obnoxious boarder when things in my actual life are sorted out. So until then, I'm going to refrain from saying much.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:39 pm

I just want to chime in to let you guys know that I am in favor of board #content no matter it's form.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Basically I just get bummed out because I feel like my contributions are always of tertiary importance. The question isn't whether or not they have value. It's whether or not they can even be tolerated. It hurts my feelings. harshrealmbro

I'm a pretty strong believer that no feeling or interest is dumb enough to not talk about endlessly. That serves me pretty well in real life because I'm always the dude at every gathering who is willing to just sit there over a brew and let someone just talk at me for like two straight hours about almost anything without ever feeling annoyed or bothered. I'm a pretty quiet, reserved dude in real life. I never assume authority or certainty about anything. Unfortunately, that same disposition hasn't really translated over very well in my boarding persona. I'll figure it out eventually though!!

In the meantime, can someone here with some know-how on this subject give C-Poots some constructive advice? Really, best of luck man. As I already said, I am sure it is actually a pretty stressful position that you are in and I didn't mean to denigrate like I did. Let us know what comes of it.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:25 pm

reuben wrote:I just want to chime in to let you guys know that I am in favor of board #content no matter it's form.

I guess this is the right attitude, and it can and does include boarding about boarding.

Sorry you're in this position WP, but until people's sons start boarding I think you're just cursed with being the youngest member of a posting community whose evolution stops at the late '00s.

If you have any indie rock loving post-millennial cousins then you might want to invite them.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:14 pm

I hear Twitter is over and Facebook is terrible so we're about due for a boarding renaissance.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Ҩ wrote:Basically I just get bummed out because I feel like my contributions are always of tertiary importance. The question isn't whether or not they have value. It's whether or not they can even be tolerated. It hurts my feelings. harshrealmbro

I'd actually love to get more involved in discussing some of the subject matter you've brought up on the forum but I don't feel educated enough in those specialities to bring much meaningful conversation tbh. I'm all for disagreeing on opinions and for you voicing yours just as loudly as anyone else here voices theirs. And I'm also not saying you should stop talking about esoteric philosophical theory or Indian girls or things that make you depressed or happy, or your random road trips. I'm just saying that 1. you should be self aware enough to realize this is a message board full of guys older than you who don't typically divulge nearly as much personal info and 2. understand if you decide to be a dick to someone or about a subject, you should expect they might be a dick back to you.

Other than that, stick around if you don't feel like you hate the place.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:51 pm

reuben wrote:I hear Twitter is over and Facebook is terrible so we're about due for a boarding renaissance.

I'm really tempted to join Facebook in 2016 and post earnestly about current affairs and the weather
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 pm

I would read your posted-on-Facebook hot takes.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 pm

I'd be operating at this level:

Daily Mail wrote:What is more, Corbyn Jnr has ‘liked’ — an internet term meaning ‘endorsed’ — a series of highly dubious alternative websites, such as that of Friends of Al-Aqsa, a Leicester-based Islamic group whose site has published articles by a number of hate preachers, including Israel Shamir, whom the Guardian describes as being ‘notorious for Holocaust denial’.

Daily Mail wrote:She said on Twitter that Jews have ‘big noses’ and like to ‘slaughter the oppressed’, concluding the post with the phrase ‘lol’, meaning ‘laugh out loud’.

Daily Mail wrote:The text was peppered with emojis – images used to express an emotion such as a smiley face.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3519864/Anti-semitism-heart-Corbyn-s-Labour-Party-Devastating-dossier-exposes-extensive-anti-Jewish-bigotry-Labour-poses-profoundly-troubling-questions-leaders-answer.html#ixzz4562IZmSz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3520892/You-dopes-Drug-activist-drinks-fountain-illegal-liquid-cannabis-session-city-nightclub-openly-advertised-police-totally-ignorant-alerted-MoS-enquiries.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 am

C-Poots - you familiar with Stock Mfg in chicago? they launched as a kickstarter, behind the model that they'd showcase potential designs and produce once they got enough pre-orders. eventually they swapped out that model for something more traditional.
    https://www.stockmfg.co/our-story
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 am

work travel, man. dallas & back on tuesday, DC the mon-wed after that, Manhattan & back the monday after that. then i get another weekend in the vacation plans thread.

what is great is that i've got some crazy miles on American from all this that we used for booking honeymoon travel. then our corporate overlords sent a memo yesterday announcing we have a new deal with Delta, so all future travel needs to with them. so i have a new delta sky miles account at ZERO and have to board planes with all the rest of plebes now.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 am

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:C-Poots - you familiar with Stock Mfg in chicago?  they launched as a kickstarter, behind the model that they'd showcase potential designs and produce once they got enough pre-orders.  eventually they swapped out that model for something more traditional.
    https://www.stockmfg.co/our-story

Very cool, I am not familiar with them but it sounds like they had a similar idea. After reading up on them, they seem like they could be a really good company to partner with for my company. I'll keep them in mind and reach out about their production capabilities.

Thanks for sending this!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm