workingman's blues

vIv
    Woman over 40

Pizzas : 65

Re: workingman's blues

Post by vIv on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm on a Whole 30 Paleo type diet, so I have to eat my lunch in the break room these days.

The following are five of the more or less verbatim pithy bon mots overheard today, Monday, in the break room, in the course of my 17 minute lunch:

"Is it Friday yet?"
    "When will Friday get here?"
    "Wake me up when we get to Friday"
    "Is it really still Monday?"
    "When are we gonna be done with Monday?"

petey
    Woman over 40

Pizzas : 42

Post by petey on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 am

I moved from Chicago to Maine last week for a new job working for a judge. He's nice and all but the commute sucks and the towns I live and work in are pretty dead. I already have started looking for a new job Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Pizzas : 120

Post by C-poots on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Hey WP the venture capitalist didn't want to give me any money. and I just got an annual raise that is lower than inflation, and with the exchange rate the way it is still, I'm basically making like 10% less money than last year.

On to the next one though!
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 41
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Well, see, maybe I was right. Fuck that guy! afro

Sorry to hear that though. Best of luck.
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Post by C-poots on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Nah, he's a cool guy and has a Linkedin rolodex of like 1,000 people and he said any of those people I want connected to just let him know and he'll connect me so still a really valuable call - I just wanted to complain about not getting "free" money based off a phone call to be a jerk.

His list includes quite a few other billionaires who like to take risks on nerds like me who have no concept of what a million dollars actually feels like. Was a pretty productive call and got me pumped to try again in a month or two once I get a few more pieces of the business off the ground.

Nick
    President Obama

Pizzas : 613

Post by Nick on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Majority of my clients get "Summer Hours" on Fridays now which means by 12:30 my day is over. Still have to stay in the office though which makes the day go very slow.
    chrondog
    Puts commas, where they don't belong

Pizzas : 209

Post by chrondog on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:48 pm

That's a great opportunity to stream European Championship games at work!!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:51 pm

I will absolutely be doing this!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 pm

It sucks when U dip into the jumbo sized bag of Jolly Ranchers and pull out a shit flavor like grape and a couple co-workers C U. Because then U're stuck with grape and can't do a switcheroo and then if U go back U become "the guy that eats Jolly Ranchers all day".
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Jesus Christ it is our performance evaluation time of year. The buzz phrase among entry level people this time around is "safe space". As in either being highly critical or complimentary of their manager's ability to make the office a "safe space" 4 them.

I'd like to fire them all.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm going to quit my editing/office job of 2.5 years next month and move to Portland, Oregon to be closer to my girlfriend. Anyone have any recs 4 companies in the marketing/communications/PR/policy space up there? I'm lookin'
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Post by C-poots on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:42 am

I'm getting ready to send off business school applications within the next month to three months depending on how my (first) GMAT attempt goes. Could be a very big change in the near future, though I'm already debating if I want to take on the seismic debt-load involved.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Waitin' For the Bus

Pizzas : 246
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:48 pm

chrondog wrote:I'm going to quit my editing/office job of 2.5 years next month and move to Portland, Oregon to be closer to my girlfriend. Anyone have any recs 4 companies in the marketing/communications/PR/policy space up there? I'm lookin'
    interest in government sector?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:
    chrondog wrote:I'm going to quit my editing/office job of 2.5 years next month and move to Portland, Oregon to be closer to my girlfriend. Anyone have any recs 4 companies in the marketing/communications/PR/policy space up there? I'm lookin'
    interest in government sector?

yes, and i've worked in the public sector before 4 a regional parks and rec agency. have about a year of experience doing that. i'll PM U.
    DBaggins
    Stock Boy at Marshall's

Pizzas : 25

Post by DBaggins on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I was told I'd be extended an offer from a small startup. Same health system I had previously interviewed 4 another job where they'd said they give me an offer and never responded again. Didn't get either job. Fuck Powered Health. It looks like I'll be moving to LA to work with a major healthcare vendor.
    DBaggins
    Stock Boy at Marshall's

Post by DBaggins on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 pm

The more I job search the more I learn to hate external recruiters. Dude says I need to be an expert coder in C# and .net and that it's required to build healthcare interfaces, but pretty much every interface engine uses Javascript. The description says nothing about C# and dude then backtracks and says all I need to know is Javascript and this goes back and forth with me convinced this is not the job 4 me. I just bombed the technical interview, which I cancelled a psych appointment to take. I'm out of drugs today and no insurance and my psych won't prescribe drugs until I C the nurse practitioner.
    DBaggins
    Stock Boy at Marshall's

Post by DBaggins on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Eric,

Hope U’re having a good week!

I received positive feedback regarding your interviews with blank and her team. She is going to speak with the CIO regarding an onsite interview and she is targeting Thursday, 9/22 through Sunday, 9/25. Will those dates be convenient 4 U? We would fly U in Thursday, interview Friday and back out on Sunday. U would have a little time to check out the area etc.

Things R finally looking up 4 me. The 3rd interview was yesterday and terribly nerve wracking. They made me do webex video, but they weren't using video so it was just me staring into a camera with no visual cues from the interviewers. The fact that they got back to me so quickly, makes me think that I'm the only candidate. So here's hoping the CIO approves the trip.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Pizzas : 282

Post by Ted Falconi on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 pm

[Long, detailed post deleted]
    I quit my job today.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Pizzas : 282

Post by Ted Falconi on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 pm

2 days left.  
    I only told, I think, 3 people - My Boss, which was necessary in order to quit; the person I share my office with; and the gun nut woman that I'm in love with.  She already knew, but only because she heard her boss talking about it with one of the other higherups.  My officemate thinks it's pretty weird that there hasn't been any kind of official announcement, even within our department.  She doesn't get the sense that anyone knows either.

I've been at this place 4 5 years, and think I'm a pretty essential part of the ecosystem. I don't really feel like going around and saying "Hey, Wednesday's my last day, nice knowin ya", and the idea of just suddenly disappearing from these people's lives forever is appealing.
    Ned Braden
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 537
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:02 am

So we'll keep in touch and stuff and if U're interested we can run together on the Braden/Falconi or Falconi/Braden 2028 ticket. By that time, we'all have gotten there.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Yeah go ahead and forward me a long fucking email string and just write "FYI" in the body of the message.
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:41 pm

They did this makeover 4 our office and now have this open seating concept. I am a grown ass man sitting out in the open on some bench system and fucking hate it.
    C-poots
    Lives in "Florida"

Post by C-poots on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:13 pm

I would say it gets better once U adjust but thats not true. I went from a cubicle seating to open seating and it is worse on all fronts. Everything is more distracting, it becomes more difficult to spend a little bit of bullshit time because someone is always able to C what U R doing, U learn about the weird shit your co-workers R interested in because U can't help but C what they R googling or facebooking about. This was the worst part, finding out my "deskmate" looked up Amal Clooney at least 3-4 times a week, while another weirdo one row ahead watched youtube videos about motorized standing scooters daily. Fucking daily.
    undo

Pizzas : 430

Post by undo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 am

I have a hard time understanding some people’s ideas and lifestyles.

Strongly Disagree
    Disagree
    Neither Agree nor Disagree
    Agree
    Strongly Agree
    undo

Pizzas : 430

Post by undo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 am

I am most comfortable when I’m around people with the same attitudes and beliefs.

Strongly Disagree
    Disagree
    Neither Agree nor Disagree
    Agree
    Strongly Agree

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 pm