On Selfies

chrondog
    chrondog
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 298

On Selfies Empty On Selfies

Post by chrondog on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-tumblr-user-shows-her-horrific-anonymous-messages-in-a

This is pretty interesting article from one of my least favorite websites. I picked it up off a Facebook share.

The points about anonymous commenting and attacks on women online have already been pretty well mined, I think. Not that interesting. She did a good job making her poses and facial expressions match the quotes she used, but nothing revolutionary. I'm more interested in some of her views on selfies. I see more and more think-pieces about the nature of the selfie every month. This is an issue our culture will have to confront.

Do you agree with Bottos that,

Bottos wrote:People say selfies are a cry for help or a cry for attention, but wanting attention isn’t bad.

How do you feel about seeking anonymous attention over the Internet? Is wanting attention wrong? When does "attention-seeking" become the problematic "attention-whoring"? Are selfies a positive form of attention for women? For anyone?

Here is her final analysis of the power of selfies:

Bottos wrote:The act of women taking selfies is inherently feminist, especially in a society that tries so hard to tell women that our bodies are projects to be worked on and a society that profits off of the insecurities that it perpetuates. Selfies are like a ‘fuck you’ to all of that, they declare that ‘hey I look awesome today and I want to share that with everyone’ and that’s pretty revolutionary.

This seems to me to be her analysis of the highest aspiration of the selfie. The idealized selfie, if you will. That it comes from a place of confidence and respect and control and is therefore a symbol of self-empowerment. But does a workout selfie at the gym say to the world that your body is not to be worked on? Does a selfie of a bunch of girls in cocktail dresses doing duckface say "I want to share my positive self-image with everyone I know"? To call the medium "inherently feminist" is totally fucking lazy and uncritical. You might make the argument that selfies are feminist because they give individual women control over their own image, but that's an argument to be made, not assumed. What about the flipside that selfies are anti-feminist because they help perpetuate the idea that women should be defined by their looks?

The last big piece I read about selfies was James Franco's op-ed in the NYT, which you can find here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/arts/the-meanings-of-the-selfie.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1391562232-FdyYwn8nEM1clYhKrBWioQ.

He has a few different views about what selfies mean. Presented without comment:

Franco wrote:But a well-stocked collection of selfies seems to get attention. And attention seems to be the name of the game when it comes to social networking. In this age of too much information at a click of a button, the power to attract viewers amid the sea of things to read and watch is power indeed.

Franco wrote:Now, while the celebrity selfie is most powerful as a pseudo-personal moment, the noncelebrity selfie is a chance for subjects to glam it up, to show off a special side of themselves — dressing up for a special occasion, or not dressing, which is a kind of preening that says, “There is something important about me that clothes hide, and I don’t want to hide.”

Franco wrote:And, as our social lives become more electronic, we become more adept at interpreting social media. A texting conversation might fall short of communicating how you are feeling, but a selfie might make everything clear in an instant. Selfies are tools of communication more than marks of vanity (but yes, they can be a little vain).

Franco wrote:I am actually turned off when I look at an account and don’t see any selfies, because I want to know whom I’m dealing with. In our age of social networking, the selfie is the new way to look someone right in the eye and say, “Hello, this is me.”

Anyway, where do you stand with the selfie? Any and all thoughts (or selfies) about selfies are welcome.
    Nick
    Nick
    dying of laughter, here, but still genuinely sorry.

Pizzas : 765

On Selfies Empty Re: On Selfies

Post by Nick on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am

When I see people posting selfies on a daily basis on FB that are older than 22 years old I think it is a clear cry for attention.
    undo
    undo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 698

Post by undo on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

Selfies are stupid.
    Soma
    Soma
    the Slate Magazine of internet message boarders

Pizzas : 325

Post by Soma on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

I can never get the angle right.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 338

Post by yancy on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm

jasperness wrote:Anyway, where do you stand with the selfie? Any and all thoughts (or selfies) about selfies are welcome.
    A few years ago before selfies were a thing, I couldn't help but notice my younger female cousin posting literally hundreds of basically identical photos of her giant fake smile and outstretched arm. Seems like everyone called them "myspace pics" back then (although this was on facebook). Anyway, I just thought she was overindulging her narcissism, and that it was one more example of technology enabling people to magnify the very worst of themselves.

Still pretty much feel the same way. No matter what name or politics you graft onto it, I find the practice a waste of time of best, and a neon sign blaring I'M A TERRIBLY VAPID PERSON in most cases.
    WP64
    WP64
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 51
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:23 pm

It is a bad practice to be engaged in. I actually don't think it is necessarily indicative of being overly self-absorbed initially but I think it makes you that way. I'd probably get pretty self-indulgent and/or neurotic if there were people I barely knew commenting on pictures of my face.

And yeah. If you are 22 years old and still doing this shit you're so fucked.

These people should just masturbate in private instead. They would be a lot happier.
    undo
    undo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by undo on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:19 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ezra-koenig-believe-in-your-selfie-20131122

Fuck it. 
    Duff...
    Duff...
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 586
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:50 pm

I think I'm too old/disconnected to really have an opinion on this matter. Not sure I've seen a non-celebrity selfie before.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    President Bannon

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Also, I thought "selfy" meant something completely different initially and was pretty horrified and confused when I heard about them showing up on the internet.
    Nick
    Nick
    dying of laughter, here, but still genuinely sorry.

Pizzas : 765

Post by Nick on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:56 pm

undo wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ezra-koenig-believe-in-your-selfie-20131122

Fuck it. 

Only thing shittier than his opinions is his music.
    undo
    undo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by undo on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 pm

I wonder if I'm going to make it all the way through this.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Shiek

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:20 pm

40 seconds. my mind wandered when he used vigintillion and it made me realize i've been pronouncing vigintile incorrectly (vI-gin-tile instead of vuh-gin-tile). didn't care enough about selfies to go back to it.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    President Bannon

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeah, I'm not watching that.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 298

Post by chrondog on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 pm

nice Random Spirit Lover vinyl on the wall there

as you can see Undo, this topic is excites people all over Internet
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Waitin' For the Bus

Pizzas : 186

Post by C-poots on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm

My initial gut feeling, which I haven't and likely wont follow up with research, is that people enjoy hearing things about themselves and the selfy is the most direct yet socially acceptable way to entice said commentary.

Really, I think the selfy is a natural extension of what a public social network is all about anyway; a forum to get people to notice you. I don't see much difference between posting a selfy and posting a picture of your vacation hotel, your high score on a video game, or what food you had for lunch. These are all the same act to me, though to be fair I don't interact with social networks much. I browse instagram when I am pooping sometimes and get my news from Twitter links but thats about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content