What would you call or how would you describe this sound frequently used on electronic or dance records

raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 157

What would you call or how would you describe this sound frequently used on electronic or dance records

Post by raj gibson on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:43 pm

A pretty good example is in :15-:30 of Planet Rock.

It's the sound that punctuates each line of lyrics before the song really gets going.

I sometimes call this a "stab" but I'm wondering if there's a better term for it, or if there's any story to how/why this sound is common throughout a lot of records.

I know I've heard this a lot in records from the late '80s. It's very similar to the sound that's used to punch up the beginning of New Order's "Round and Round," although that's not as good of an example because most instances I'm thinking of use the effect only once or twice at a time, like to punctuate a verse or chorus. If I think of a better example I'll post it.
    Pete Best
    Woman over 40

Pizzas : 70
    DispositionSweet

Re: What would you call or how would you describe this sound frequently used on electronic or dance records

Post by Pete Best on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Many people do call it a stab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra_hit
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 36
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Re: What would you call or how would you describe this sound frequently used on electronic or dance records

Post by BGwaves on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:32 pm

They used the Fairlight CMI on Planet Rock. Stab is the easier thing to say but orchestra hit is prob the most correct you can get if youre playing jeopardy.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 320
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:47 pm

This question comes up a lot when I want to talk about Latin Freestyle which is more often than you'd think.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Post by raj gibson on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks all. Helpful.

Duff... wrote:Latin Freestyle

Yep, digging around for this sound took me in that direction pretty directly.

Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm

that ORCH5 sample is all over early hip hop.

when somebody says "orchestral stab" my first thought is:

i was pretty obsessed with the sound after going to see that film. It was an obsession that fed into, and was quickly usurped by, my lifelong love affair with choir pads/samples/patches.

K1m - IA1 - Ahh

this was at the front of my mind because I found an old K1m joystick in my parents loft the other day.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Post by raj gibson on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:01 am

Bruegel wrote:that ORCH5 sample

Thanks button engaged. Appreciate having a more-exact name for it.

The original was from Stravinsky's 'Firebird Suite', 3rd movement ('Infernal Dance of the King Katschei')

study 
    phixed
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 47

Post by phixed on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 pm

I have one sample/sound I've been trying to track down for forever. It was super common in the late 80's and early 90's rave scene.

It's that short, ric flair sounding "Whoooo" sound that kicks in at about 1:07 of
    phixed
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 47

Post by phixed on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Oh, and yeah. That orchestral stab is a classic. I used it on one of the Fabian's Children songs back in the day.
    undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 397

Post by undo on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 am

What is the sound that comes in at 0:23 for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdlUzynea8

Is it the same sound that's heard in the beginning and all throughout this?
    reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 589

Post by reuben on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Sounds like a cuica to me:

Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Didn't know the name of that tasty "world music" flourish until now but I can tell you that it is featured prominently in Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man."
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Was reading about "Watermelon Man" on account of this thread yesterday. Wikipedia says that sound is a beer bottle made to approximate this instrument. So whatever the fuck I guess.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Well, I'll be damned.
    Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:46 pm

colloquially known as "monkey love"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:09 am