Thought Dump

Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 321
    DispositionSunny.

Re: Thought Dump

Post by Duff... on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Ҩ wrote:(Duff, what the hell do you do and where do you live?)

Graphic design. The Chi.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:44 pm

This came up on SOMB a million years ago during what eventually became called "Death Week". There are at least a handful of SOMBies that we know passed.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 35
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't even remember SOMB anymore. I was too busy being fourteen years old and listening to Pantera.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/03/23/frankfurt-school-headquarters-neo-marxism/
    Not to suggest that the best way to understand the world is to add Negative Dialectics to your Amazon wishlist, but I like that piece a lot. I've never really engaged with the Frankfurt School work as I should have. There are two reasons for this: it is challenging and I am not smart enough and it is very much a cliché nowadays.

Recent developments suggest, however, that the Frankfurt School’s critique may have a new timeliness. The recent presidential election used authoritarian tactics of misrepresentation and manipulation of belief addressed to people who were particularly susceptible to such methods; it resulted in the near-complete victory of a political party that now combines a libertarian program of the privatization (if not elimination) of many public functions and dominance by concentrated capitalist wealth; and it put into office a president who is deliberately divisive and has authoritarian inclinations, no apparent respect for truth or for democratic institutions, and little comprehension of or concern for the public good. However distant the Frankfurt School’s indictment of capitalism’s alliance with authoritarianism once seemed, its criticisms are not irrelevant now as we face increasing nativism, unthinking trust in a demagogue and in economic power, as well as antipathy to science and reasoned argument, and eagerness to embrace a regime of disinformation and manipulation.

That makes me want to sit down and read Dialectics of Enlightenment really badly. Or Neumann's Behemoth. Gonna do some serious chin stroking this summer.
    Ned Braden
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 495
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm probably too old to ever play professional sports. And I don't believe in god or the afterlife, so...

On the plus side, I think Jose Saramago was like 60 when he published his first novel, so maybe there's still a chance for me.

Almost posted this in the "Going Through some shit" thread, but I figured this stupid existential crisis would look stupid next to people's real world troubles.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I think Gauguin was in his thirties or forties when he even started painting and died in Tahiti surrounded my much younger women so we all have a shot still.
    undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 398

Post by undo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Ned Braden I could post a lot about that shit if I ever decided to do so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 am