23 posters

Thought Dump

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Thought Dump - Page 3 Empty Re: Thought Dump

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Is this the thread where I can post about my aesthetic experiences.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:15 am

Reuben: Yes!
    Soma: Of course! (If you're being facetious you can get fucked, also though, do you know who Fernando Pessoa is?)
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

People keep calling this Net Neutrality thing a plan out of 1930's and I just don't know how to make sense of that.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:26 pm

The Constitution is a plan out of the 18th Century but those same people don't think it requires any updates.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Yesterday it occurred to me that one day the lead singer of Warrant would die and it chilled me to the bone.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 am

Following this strange story out of Milwaukee where either a lion or mountain lion has been spotted multiple times and keeps alluding capture. This is bringing back sad memories of when the Chicago cops murdered a cowering mountain lion.

There was a great thread on SOMB surrounding that event. Montana did some good boarding within it. Regardless, I worry this won't end well.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:41 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1526549/cecil-the-lion-us-dentist-regrets-killing?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

deep regret
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Fuck that piece of shit. They lured the animal away from the preservation. What a great hunter. I hope someone rips his fucking teeth out and mounts his head in his office.
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am

Nick wrote:alluding

eluding iwantsomeofthat
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Baited that lion and it still took 40 hours to kill it.  Pretty shitty hunter imho.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:17 pm

What do most middle class people do for a living? I consider myself middle class (because statistically I am in the middle based on my earnings) but, reading the news I might feel as though the majority, or still meaningful minority, of the American middle class manufactures for a living. How much of the US worker economy is still manufacturing and production driven?

Really this is a can of worms sort of question that can lead to "what we should do" and "what we did/do wrong" etc etc but I'm actually curious if anyone knows. I think the US is in a weird position with regards to both its international and domestic reputation as well as its ability to dig itself out of regulatory and financial holes anymore; I saw that 2013 was the first year since the 1920s where the top .1% held the same wealth as the bottom 90% as per The Economist and I'm very curious as to what this means for the future of the US.

Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd be more concerned if I was a 35 year old bus, taxi or lorry driver. Those guys are fucked.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Thats not really all that related to what I'm asking, though I agree they are mostly fucked as well.

I ask because the devaluation of the Chinese yuan has many people on the internet complaining that, if China continues down this path of devaluation, we are in for another recession/depression here in the States, but lost manufacturing jobs hasn't really been the cause for depressions unless it was part of a greater increase in unemployment, usually due to financial bubbles bursting.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on the global economy basically.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:58 am

I think manufacturers would be considered lower middle, even though plenty of them get paid more than I do. While income is related it's also about status, education, that sort of thing.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I don't totally agree with that though, at least when looking at it from an economic standpoint like I was trying to do so before. Why would education and social status have anything to do with your class level unless they were direct influences on financial situation? Hell, I think a substantially sized group of people have taken out debt loads in order to obtain educations which have lowered their class status.

I won't keep pushing on this topic, just something I've been thinking about which has rippled out into tons of other tangentially related thoughts and thought a good dump would be nice.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:04 am

I don't make the rules man.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:42 pm

yeah Im aware of that thread.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:49 pm

So to illustrate, the son of the executive who went to college and is now slobbing around Brooklyn playing bass in a lousy indie band making very little money as a barista isn't actually lower class or working class. And the very successful plumber is still gonna go to the local pub after work and watch the game with a bunch of other dudes who didn't go to college and work with their hands. Money is certainly involved in these matters but it's just one thing.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm

C-Poots, would you be interested to learn that the British class system has never been mostly defined by economics?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm

C-poots wrote:What do most middle class people do for a living?

Inherit wealth/status from their parents?

This might still work for another 20 years, I don't know.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Duff... wrote:So to illustrate, the son of the executive who went to college and is now slobbing around Brooklyn playing bass in a lousy indie band making very little money as a barista isn't actually lower class or working class. And the very successful plumber is still gonna go to the local pub after work and watch the game with a bunch of other dudes who didn't go to college and work with their hands. Money is certainly involved in these matters but it's just one thing.

A very successful plumber is not making enough money typically to pull him out of the statistical band that defines middle or upper-middle class. If he has made that much, there is a strong likelihood he is a business owner, or a skilled investor, or doing something else in addition to plumbing, and thus not considered working class in my eyes and the eyes of economists. He may work for a living, but if his means exceed a certain amount, doesn't matter how much he likes the local pub, he's upper class.

In the case of the first guy, if he is living off of his own means entirely and making little money as a bassist and barista, he is middle/working class. He (perhaps) has a safety net in the form of his successful father's ability to give him money, but if you assume he isn't using that safety net then he is completely the definition of middle class.

In my view, we are talking about social classes vs. economic or financial classes. A point I think -- could be wrong -- Soma was going to run with as well. I agree that, from a social standpoint, both of these guys would fit the structure you've put them in (or at least agree with the ones you haven't put them in) but from an economic standpoint I disagree.

My main thoughts regarding this are about fears of a diminishing manufacturing base in America due to Chinese currency devaluations and how much of our American economic middle class is actually susceptible to job loss from foreign manufacturing becoming cheaper. And these are questions, not sarcastic rhetorical statements, I'm genuinely curious. Sending our manufacturing jobs overseas is always a huge talking point, that we need to keep these jobs for our middle class in order to maintain our huge consumer base that keeps the whole machine chugging along, I just don't know how much of our middle class work force is in a job that can be outsourced basically.

Fuck, guess Im in the mood to ramble a little.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 am

Hm. I think you're talking about a thing that is not class. Which is fine, it's just where the confusion comes in.

But yeah, manufacturing has been a not so steady thing for a while, and it's likely why so many people (particularly men) have dropped out of the workforce entirely.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm

This conversation is all just reminding me of the movie where Al Bundy was a working class slob who owned more scratch than the elitist d-bag father of that fancy-pants rich kid who didn't want to buy fireworks.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 am

I feel like I do most of my boarding waiting in airports now. The most amazing people walk by in these fucking places. I hate being rushed to my gate because I legit value my time sipping coffee and people watching.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm