let's baseball

zappo
    Got some shit to do

Pizzas : 516

Re: let's baseball

Post by zappo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 pm

I love the shit outta the Sox (and the Cubs, too, yes), but I'm pretty damn anti-Hawk for the reasons you've already articulated and understood. More power to you, I guess.
    Ned Braden
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 552
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Wimpy was great though.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 165

Post by raj gibson on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Hawk is a buffoonish old sea creature but I've gotten pozzed so many times on White Sox webboards for making fun of him that I can't genuinely hate him... at some point you realize you're the lamprey on the side of that sea creature.
    Nick
    President Obama

Pizzas : 615

Post by Nick on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Going to the Friday afternoon game in a couple weeks when the Cubs play the Cardinals. Watching them crush Arizona right now and I can't believe I'll be watching them live play meaningful baseball this late in the year.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Go cubs I guess!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm

I hope that the Cubs win tonight it should be a great pitching match up. Funny that Jason Parks used to just rave about Cole on the old Up and In podcast and now he is a Cubs scout and Cole takes the mound tonight.

A quick walk during lunch leads me to believe this city is going to be devastated if they lose tonight.
    tjenz
    Kathy Griffin Fan

Pizzas : 61

Post by tjenz on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm a Sox fan, but I will be rooting for the Cubs in the post season.

I have never seen people so excited about a 3rd place team.

Post by Nick on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:33 pm

They won 97 games!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:01 am

Cubs win wild card playoff. City goes apeshit crazy.

Proceed to get swept by the Cardinals.

mang
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Damn big win for the Cubs!
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 42
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:03 am

My investment in this team is dangerous. I haven't taken off my Cubs jacket all week. I actually fall asleep with it on....

I have absolutely no predictions to make because I am far too superstitious but I feel pretty good. I'm also just happy that the rebuild worked. Sounds like the Cubs will be getting Price in the offseason (although his playoff numbers suck..) and potentially Zobrist. I hope they resign Fowler. They literally have too many good players. I have no idea what is going to happen to Baez, for example. Castro has been amazing since being benched and has played a quality second base but I could still see him being traded in the offseson. Is Schwarber ever going to see some time behind the plate? Will they resign Coghlan or are they going to hope that Soler can stay healthy? Also, the Cubs still have people coming up in farm system... Albert Almora is probably going to be center fielder of the future.

So many questions and it is all so fun. Also, Joe Maddon is just the best.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:28 am

Oh, and I hope Ripken takes that job with the Nationals because I fucking hate that guy and I would love to watch him fail with those group of assholes.
    zappo
    Got some shit to do

Post by zappo on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Cubs, yo. I'm happy!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:03 pm

Still remember when they beat the Braves in that fateful '03 playoffs season how my mom jumped into my arms she was so excited.

Called her after that final out tonight to say sorry that I couldn't watch the game with her tonight because of work.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Shit yeah Zappo Sox fan real bros from Chi who aren't dicktard backward ass clown dummies unite!!

Which is to say I'm sorta super happy the team I don't really like but sorta like cause shouldn't it be obvs is doin good!!

Draft messages

Beer
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 165

Post by raj gibson on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Cubs have built a great team and the success is well-earned. I can't say I'm actively rooting for them but I certainly don't mind them beating a bunch of boring year-on-year smug contender fucks like the Cardinals.
    petey
    Woman over 40

Post by petey on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:30 am

I think the World Series matchup for the next 10 years may be Cubs v. Astros
    zappo
    Got some shit to do

Post by zappo on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:01 am

Ned Braden wrote:Shit yeah Zappo Sox fan real bros from Chi who aren't dicktard backward ass clown dummies unite!!

Which is to say I'm sorta super happy the team I don't really like but sorta like cause shouldn't it be obvs is doin good!!

Draft messages

Beer

I guess I've said this before, but I really do love both teams dearly.  No preference of one team over the other, over here.  Cried tears of joy in 2005 and tears of anguish in 2003.  (Though I have always thought that we would've been ground up into a fine paste by the Yankees, had we beaten the Marlins.  It still hurt like a motherfucker.)
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Dogggs....

One of the most important days of my life. I woke up to a bunch of pictures that my dad found of me at my last Cubs playoff game (game 2 of the '03 NLCS). During our walk to the stadium I was actually interviewed by FOX Milwaukee (no idea why they were there.)

I went to class yesterday. Paid no attention. Got out and immediately hopped onto a packed red line to the stadium. While I was waiting for my Dad over near will call and I heard the most distinct voice in the entire human race. Eddie Vedder was just standing there on his phone and nobody even noticed it was him. I walked over and asked if it wouldn't be a huge bother to get a picture with him. I told him that Pearl Jam was my first favorite band and that it was through them that I found out about Neil! He was super cool about it, put his arm around me, and we took a selfie right near the marquee sign. We then both said "Go Cubs" and he walked into the stadium.

Once we got to our seats my Dad turned around and realized that literally directly behind me was Ryan Dempster. He was with his whole family and was going absolutely apeshit the whole game. When Baez hit that homerun I forgot that I was a grown man and actually leaped onto my Dad's back. Dempster and I high fived and he spilled his beer all over me. The Rizzo homerun was awesome. Schwarber's homerun might still be in the air if it didn't get caught up on the top of that scoreboard.

Just so so so fucking cool man. I was so happy for Baez. He lost his sister this year after a 20 year battle with spina bifida. Fucking sucks so bad. Hopefully she was able to see that from up above. I'm obviously going to still be highly fucking invested in this next series and will be totally bummed if they lose. But honestly, this has already been way more than I could have possibly asked for. It doesn't even seem possible that this team can only get better from here..

Fucking Go Cubs!!!!!!!!
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:01 pm

God damn dude.
    zappo
    Got some shit to do

Post by zappo on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:25 am

A friend of mine's father (a huge Cardinals fan) caught Rizzo's game 4 HR. He was not happy. Brilliant.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Well... I was wrong. This hurts so much. I spent the last two innings storming around my apartment screaming "FUCK" really loud. This is going to take me months to get over...
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Fuck Lester by the way! Dude was totally average this year. Sucked in both outings in the playoffs. And then decided that he wasn't able to pitch today because he threw over 100 pitches in Game 1. Thanks for stepping up when the team needs you asshole!! Enjoy your $150/mil contract you motherfucker!
    Nick
    President Obama

Post by Nick on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:46 pm

They played the most exciting baseball in the league the second half of the season and have some of the most likable players I've ever seen put on a Cubs uniform.

They won the Wild Card playoff and then knocked out their rival - a team that is so fucking boring and soulless - in the Cardinals that meant the Cubs were left with the best remaining regular season record and possibly more momentum than any of the other 3 teams.

So, to get their asses completely kicked and break down like this can only be summed up in two words.

That's Cub.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:26 am

So guys... how about that hockey... paddyograpes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am