Internet Antics

Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 445

Re: Internet Antics

Post by Bruegel on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:34 pm

http://www.worldwideweirdnews.com/2017/06/19-miracle-crimes-kicks-police.html
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 615

Post by zappo on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Move over, hearing "Peace Frog" on the radio. My 2018 has reached new heights.

reuben
    President Trump

Pizzas : 674

Post by reuben on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 pm

#9 Delicious Peters vs. #4 Chardonnay Beaver

Incredible matchup.
    Nick
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 693

Post by Nick on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Does anyone here have an understanding of how targeted Instagram ads work? I flag every ad I see as violent content. I’m assuming the brands have to have enough data on me to know I don’t engage positively but I keep getting targeted.

Maybe my concept of how Instagram ads work is wrong but it seems like after a while brands would give up and realize I cannot be influenced.
    chrondog
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 267

Post by chrondog on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm

I did some reading around that a few months ago and have recently looked into working as a copywriter in this targeting marketing field. I read that years ago that used to be effective. Experts recommended flagging every ad as "sexual content" and eventually you would stop getting sponsored content entirely. With the growth of the sponsored content and retargeting market, I think that ship has sailed. You will never not get targeted messaging. It is central to how these platforms work now.

Retargeting works by sending a cookie to your browser whenever you do an action on a certain website. Say you go to Gap.com and you add an item to your shopping card or you click through some product specs on the site. Gap.com cookies your browser and follows you around the Internet to other sites. Then, when their algorithm determines it has an opportunity to show you an add for that product on another platform, like Instagram or Facebook, it pops up in your face. If it isn't working on you personally, it's probably working on people like you, I.E. others with similar demographic signatures. In all likelihood, there's a certain size of ad buy that these marketers need to make to get the ball rolling on these ads and they know most people that see the ads won't like them. The goal of retargeting marketing is fairly small returns: a 1-2% increase in the sales conversion rate based on a large ad buy is probably massively profitable.

There are also people who believe that our phones are recording our voices even when we're not using them, catching key phrases we use, and then retargeting to us that way. Have you ever had a conversation with a friend about a product then seen an add on Instagram about it? There's decent evidence this is happening on some level, but where and when is unclear because apps are quite underregulated. I have basically never Googled Wendy's, but I saw an Instagram sponsored post for the Wendy's 4 for $4 meal about two hours after having a conversation about the deal with my friend in his car.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Shiek

Pizzas : 270
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Yeah, it’s unlikely you’re being filtered out of the targeting, nick. Advertisers are buying things like “male, 20-45, general Chicago metro market, interested in music”. Getting more refined than that gets more expensive for them (because the people hired to execute the buy takes longer that way). So it’s probably inefficient to include you from your perspective, but on their end you’re so cheap to target it costs more to filter you out.
    raj gibson
    Knock-Off Jihadist

Pizzas : 175

Post by raj gibson on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:21 pm

If they made Terminator 2 in 2018 John Connor would teach the T-800 to make bofa jokes

"Begone, thot"

Credit LOPP (I think Space Octopus specifically) for making this one of the few neologisms I knew (quite a while?) before it achieved meme status.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 615

Post by zappo on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Not really the right thread for this, but it'll have to do.

chrondog
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 267

Post by chrondog on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/6_ZfuFChak/
    undo
    dying of laughter, here, but still genuinely sorry.

Pizzas : 588

Post by undo on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:11 am

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/tpa/3477732832.html?lang=en&cc=us

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:56 am