can someone explain the appeal of Fleetwood Mac to me?

undo
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 407

can someone explain the appeal of Fleetwood Mac to me?

Post by undo on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Their music and their whole persona/schtick bores me more than almost any band I can think of.

I love "Albatross" but no one considers that to be real Fleetwood Mac. Instead, the band didn't get their act together until they started doing lots of cocaine and getting rich (poptimists love this because it "proves" that white people like us can be just as "gangsta" as our favorite rappers, and that we were actually the first ones to do it). :whatatwist:

Maybe I just hate Stevie Nicks, I don't know. This was playing while I was pumping gas this morning and I've been thinking about it all day and yeah I know it was the 80s but why would this be played anywhere at all in the 21st century?

Odds are there have to be some people under 50 who still listen to them, but how many aren't part of the "I don't give a fuck"/dealwithit.gif 4chan-meets-Pitchfork circlejerk of RYM nerds who still enjoy dissecting the rock 'n roll canon like it matters what they think, you know?
    undo

Re: can someone explain the appeal of Fleetwood Mac to me?

Post by undo on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm just trying to push myself and make this board everything it can be.
    Duff...
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 324
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Would sooner hit myself in the head with a hammer than listen to "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" on purpose.
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 598

Post by Nick on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Yea I don't listen to this music & do not even allow it on the radio if there is nothing else to listen to.
    Ned Braden

Pizzas : 503
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:56 am

Early stuff is a pretty easy sell to the rockist crowd, and Tusk is a really good album that I break out every now and again. Man of the World is a pretty difficult song not to love imo. Totally agree with Duff regarding "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow," and I imagine it's been used in every bullshit local political campaign since the dawn of time.
    Michael K.
    Liked Don Charisma on Facebook

Pizzas : 67
    Dispositionpickled

Post by Michael K. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:36 am

Sure do love Rumours
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 161

Post by raj gibson on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:00 am

Rumors is full of great pop songs. Like others I really don't need to hear "Don't Stop" ever again but I would say the same thing about a lot of other classic pop songs (e.g. some Beatles songs) that were so good they were just overplayed for a long time. But an understated song like "Never Going Back Again" just blows my mind when I hear it. I think people sometimes try to boil the album down to "Don't stop... doing cocaine, and relationship problems." Which really glosses over the majority of the album. And of course the post-Rumors/Tusk hits like "Big Love" and "Everywhere" are fantastic if you like that style of '80s pop.

undo wrote:I love "Albatross" but no one considers that to be real Fleetwood Mac. Instead, the band didn't get their act together until they started doing lots of cocaine and getting rich (poptimists love this because it "proves" that white people like us can be just as "gangsta" as our favorite rappers, and that we were actually the first ones to do it). :whatatwist:

Hmm don't wanna take your post overly literally but there are some serious straw men at work there.

Maybe (maybe?) there was/is some tension between poptimists (is this still a thing) who simply reject the strictures of a rockist view (which would be practically everyone here and many serious music listeners in general) but don't have any strong attachment to pop itself and on the other hand poptimists who are actually like Freaky Trigger-style pop advocates. For example I'm thinking of the difference between 2005-ish Paves (former) and Ben (latter) in their degree of interest in synthesizer-heavy '80s pop, to make a very broad comparison.

If you think your issue is with Stevie (who is not for everyone) have you tried Lindsey's solo albums? They're geared a bit more toward the Tusk weirdness. I know Big Dog was a fan of his solo stuff at some point. I'm talking about songs like this which I listen to an awful lot.

reuben
    the golden age of crackers

Post by reuben on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:55 am

Wait a minute ... Stevie was the chick and the dude was named Lindsey?

Shocked
    undo

Post by undo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:59 pm

raj gibson wrote:Hmm don't wanna take your post overly literally but there are some serious straw men at work there.

Soma
    Probably a fake Vinyl Cape Jawa

Pizzas : 197

Post by Soma on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:14 pm

I don't know what their 'persona/schtick' is beyond posing like a ballet dancer and recording shitty songs, but yeah, fuck this band.
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Post by Nick on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:04 pm

I have lots of time for 70s radio rock but for some reason do not get this band. Gimme Elton John all day but I hear any of those Rumours singles and I just cannot.
    BGwaves
    Tits + Arse

Pizzas : 36
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 pm

I still remember this one time my GF and I were on a road trip and we both had the thought that the ending to The Chain sounds like The Feelies. Had me like imlikewhoa

I think if you take away all the myth bullshit surrounding this band you can extract some great songs. Namely Gold Dust Woman, The Chain, and You Make Loving Fun. Obvs I can see why someone would be annoyed or grow tired of Stevie's witchy woman stuff.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 485

Post by zappo on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:06 pm

I hate Stevie Nicks pretty good, but even I love several of her songs and a ton of this band's music. Christine McVie wrote some songs, son!

zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 am

I mean, fuck. To each his own, of course, but are any of you bros able to hate this?

Ted Falconi
    Hot For Pizza

Pizzas : 271

Post by Ted Falconi on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 pm

I've got no problem with any era of Fleetwood Mac, and I've got 3 or 4 copies of each of the first 3 Buckingham/Nicks era records, just in case someone comes by and needs one. I'd probably even say I like Tango in the Night or whatever it's called, because who cares really. Leather and Lace is great too.

The Chain is one of the heavier recorded performances you're likely to hear on classic rock radio.

And then there's this (add $1.00 for aged cheddar):
    http://www.marketingauthor.com/the-35000-hamburger/

Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Probably been most into the '80s shit as of late, "Little Lies" and "Only Over You" being two favorites. That stuff sounds great when it comes on at CVS but is also ripe for private enjoyment. It's, uh, "melodic" and "well-produced"?

I don't know why anybody would have to ask what the appeal of a song like this is. eh
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:23 pm

So crispy.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:24 am

I think I've listened to Mirage at least 20 times in the last week. Probably about 10 spins for Tango in the Night. Hadn't listened to either record in about a year. Really scratching that itch.
    chrondog

Pizzas : 193

Post by chrondog on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 pm

undo wrote:I love "Albatross" but no one considers that to be real Fleetwood Mac. Instead, the band didn't get their act together until they started doing lots of cocaine and getting rich (poptimists love this because it "proves" that white people like us can be just as "gangsta" as our favorite rappers, and that we were actually the first ones to do it). :whatatwist:

my father is a 65 year old man and is obsessed with Fleetwood Mac's early period led by Peter Green. he would be, of course. he loves all that early British blues rock, from Fleetwood to The Yardbirds to John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to obscure shit i don't know. he can't abide Stevie Nicks and won't touch that shit.

it is interesting how the mid-00's Nick's-era Fleetwood Mac revival seemed to usher in a reinterest in "easy listening" type music as some sort of nouveau-cool. that seems to continue to this day. there's a lot of modern, cool music with easy listening vibes out there today.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 pm

chrondog

Pizzas : 193

Post by chrondog on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 pm

that's a lit jam, fam

Wikipedia wrote:In a Q&A, Peter Green revealed that "Rattlesnake Shake" was about masturbation. In 2014, Mick Fleetwood confirmed this in his autobiography "Play On", stating that "Rattlesnake Shake" is an ode to masturbation as a cure for the blues. "I'm named in it, as a guy who does the rattlesnake shake to jerk away my sadness whenever I don't have a chick. That was an appropriate immortalisation of my younger self, to be sure."
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:44 pm

That autobiography was a pretty good read, all things considered.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I read it right after I read Belinda Carlisle's. lol Kind of a dark time in my life.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Had a pretty transcendent experience with this song, last night. Album's even more uneven than I remembered, though.

tjenz
    Kathy Griffin Fan

Pizzas : 60

Post by tjenz on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 am

I like that Tusk song.

Growing up in the 70's, I was issued my copy of Rumors, just like every other kid. I don't think it's hit my turntable since Reagan took the oath of office. So my copy should be pretty pristine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 am