Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by undo on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Ned Braden
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 555
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:13 pm

there is a list about britpop up now and i know that their empire will continue to exist only if idiots like me keep clicking these things, but i have not the willpower...

I'm curious to read their take on this, no doubt, but at the same time i'm just sort of mad about everything.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 pm

pfork wrote:But more than geography and quick wit twines the Britpop scene together. With this list, we are defining Britpop as the musical scene active in the United Kingdom in the mid-’90s. Particularly, we are looking at the guitar-based musicians who shared focus on anthemic melodies, social observations of British culture and daily life, and their country’s musical heritage. Voters in this list come from the U.S., the UK, and Canada, and in the process of assembling it, we discovered that each location had a slightly different idea of what Britpop entailed; the final result represents the aggregate sensibility of its contributors. We’re not looking so much to progenitors (i.e. the Smiths, the Stone Roses), or alternative rock acts that followed (Coldplay, Kasabian), and location is also a factor—sorry, Anglophile rockers in the colonies.

jesus h why did i stop reading that hilarious miles davis bullshit nick posted for this shitty grad school paper??
    undo
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 459

Post by undo on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Every time they do one of these lists and write it out in a countdown-style, there's a Spotify playlist on the first page that completely spoils the whole thing.
    Ned Braden

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 pm

best part was the "this was the best album this guy ever made!" followed by, "this album by that same guy is higher on the list but let's not mention that!"
    I mean... I guess I can't argue, since my top two "britpop" albums were ranked 1 and 2, but it bears mentioning that I don't know goddamn shit about britpop and my taste in music sucks.
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 132

Post by C-poots on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Have not looked at this list but guessing Pulp - Different Classes and Blur - Something (I don't know any of their albums)
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by C-poots on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Fuck yeah!
    undo

Post by undo on Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

undo

Post by undo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 624

Post by Nick on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Wondering if someone at Conde is concerned about P4K site traffic this month. The P4K Twitter account is throwing some extremely vague & click baitish content out there.
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by C-poots on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-darkness-pinewood-smile/

Pitchfork wrote:Pinewood Smile’s unexpected mean streak becomes indefensible on “Stampede of Love.” It’s not inexplicable—as two of the Darkness’ spiritual forefathers were responsible for “Fat Bottomed Girls” and “Big Bottom”—but “Stampede” is more in the spirit of Shallow Hal as a full-length “no fat chicks” joke that doesn’t even try to half-ass a moral lesson about body acceptance.

Pitchfork wrote:No one expects woke-ness from the Darkness, but their reliance on making jokes at someone else’s expense complicates, if not completely negates, their appeal

Why do we need our music reviews put in the context of how "woke" a band is, why do we need to shoehorn in moral lessons about body acceptance now? I know, as a 30 year old who has read Pitchfork for the past 15 or so, that I should not take these reviews too seriously, but the way cultural politics has seeped into this site feels so much like a bullshit quick-change-of-tune-money-grab that it really starts to bother me after some time.

reuben

Pizzas : 629

Post by reuben on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

"Fat Bottomed Girls" isn't about body shaming. It's about straight up child abuse and what that nanny did to the protagonist is indefensible.
    Duff...
    Blood Gargling Psychopath

Pizzas : 347
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Haven't read Pitchfork in a while and only did so relatively briefly. It did seem to tie cultural context into it's reviews when I was reading it, and I think that's a fine thing for a review to try to do. There certainly seems as though a pretty big shift in how people (youngsters in particular) process their art and what sort of expectations they have in the morals or messages they convey, so I guess whether it's simply evolving along with a shifting audience or posturing in a cynical cash-grab is probably in the eye of the beholder.

But I guess who cares.
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by C-poots on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Duff... wrote:Haven't read Pitchfork in a while and only did so relatively briefly. It did seem to tie cultural context into it's reviews when I was reading it, and I think that's a fine thing for a review to try to do. There certainly seems as though a pretty big shift in how people (youngsters in particular) process their art and what sort of expectations they have in the morals or messages they convey, so I guess whether it's simply evolving along with a shifting audience or posturing in a cynical cash-grab is probably in the eye of the beholder.

But I guess who cares.

I mean, I care.

I believe critical reception in music, art, fashion, film, etc, can have a feedback loop in that it can dictate or influence these mediums going forward. I understand the widespread desire for cultural correctness in the everyday, but I think asking for this sort of thing from your art can be a subversive influence that lead to artists refraining from creating challenging, uncomfortable, or offensive works.

I understand a song about fat girls from the musical group The Darkness may not be a great example to use when speaking about this phenomenon broadly, but it was just the most recent example of 'docking points' because the artist said something offensive or out of line with what is politically/culturally correct.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Eh, I think despite the buzzy terminology, this isn't all that new. There's always been some baseline moral or social consciousness in art and subsequently its criticism, it's just something that's always shifting. Absolutely, there is a danger for individual artists and critics to prize what we're calling "wokeness" today over aesthetics, and maybe that's something Pitchfork (or select Pitchfork writers) are falling victim to. But having concerns about potentially racist or sexist etc. content doesn't have to mean a sacrifice in quality.
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by C-poots on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 am

Duff... wrote:Eh, I think despite the buzzy terminology, this isn't all that new. There's always been some baseline moral or social consciousness in art and subsequently its criticism, it's just something that's always shifting. Absolutely, there is a danger for individual artists and critics to prize what we're calling "wokeness" today over aesthetics, and maybe that's something Pitchfork (or select Pitchfork writers) are falling victim to. But having concerns about potentially racist or sexist etc. content doesn't have to mean a sacrifice in quality.

This is both true and not really related to the concern I have. I think chastising racist or sexist content is completely reasonable, unless that content exists specifically to make a statement on that same racism or sexism, and even here I think it can be a very fine line that is often crossed in the wrong direction. But I don't think chastising artists for "not trying to even half-ass a moral lesson" is the same thing, and I think its the latter that is what I see as dangerous for the artistic community.

Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Maybe we're just talking past each other. In any case, rereading that sentence suggests to me that the author is continuing his/her reference to Shallow Hal, which, if I understand correctly from reviews/press at the time, indeed tried to half-ass a moral lesson about body acceptance.
    undo

Post by undo on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 am

Rolling Stone’s Rob Sheffield has written that Kaplan and Hubley “[do] for marriage what the Velvet Underground did for heroin,”and there’s something to the love-is-the-drug comparison.

This is how I used to feel about Sonic Youth.

I really try not to entertain those kinds of thoughts anymore.
    undo

Post by undo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Save for a few vocal samples used more for tone color than lyrical signification, it’s entirely instrumental, and its textures leap from the speakers with clinical precision—dry, airless, and charged with electricity, a kind of rock-paper-scissors game between silica packet, vacuum sealer, and anti-static brush.

what
    C-poots
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by C-poots on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Sia’s shiny Christmas album feels inconsistent and underwritten, like opening a gift where someone’s forgotten to remove the tags.

Pitchfork blurb as written by Dan Brown. This comparison makes no sense and these writers aren't good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 pm