for all the SOMB writers who "made it"

Post by undo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:22 am

Ned Braden
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 555
    DispositionRock Guitars

Re: for all the SOMB writers who "made it"

Post by Ned Braden on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 am

This Tanner Ross character sounds like quite the ass.
    Keep on fighting the good fight brother Heretix.
    undo
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 456

Post by undo on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:25 pm

So while I was busy writing threads like this, bhickman was establishing himself as a serious food critic. Maybe everyone here knew this (?) but I definitely didn't until I heard him on WBEZ this morning talking about the best restaurants of the year in Chicago.
    Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 621

Post by Nick on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Holy shit I had no idea. This is like the best thing to discover with only a couple days left in the year.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 180

Post by Paves on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:45 pm

That may very well just make up for him not fulfilling his dreams of opening a sandwich shop.
    Nick
    President Trump

Pizzas : 621

Post by Nick on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:16 pm

There is a forums section on the Chicago Eater site that is not at all active. I might register and start a thread titled "Hi bhickman" and the first post would just say "What is good 'hitter?"
    reuben

Pizzas : 628

Post by reuben on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Undo, you could be a serious food critic as well if you really wanted to.
    undo

Pizzas : 456

Post by undo on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:38 am

I wonder.

skip to 8:41 for the goods
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:05 am

Actual lol. Can't believe I'm listening to this.
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:05 am

Where's the part where he talks about Marquee Moon being overrated?
    Duff...
    Blood Gargling Psychopath

Pizzas : 342
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Kinda makes sense that he ended up on The Morning Shift. All sorts of yahoos get on that show.
    reuben

Pizzas : 628

Post by reuben on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Where's the part where he talks about a porterhouse "as thicky thick as Wendy from Suicide Girls"?
    Pete Best
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 74
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:47 pm

A slot for a good fork
    chrondog

Pizzas : 220

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 am

lost my shit at this bit of eloquence from Hickman around 9:25

"uh yeah, i would agree...it was not a dismal year...but yeah, the steakhouses, for sure, most of them, uh, were, up, above, beyond par"
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 am

I'm considering pursuing a career in writing pale
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Fool.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Should I become a lawyer instead? Or should I try to write articles about Making a Murderer and Arsenal football club and cool people who run restaurants I like?

I'm at the crossroads between creativity and seriousness mang
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Oh you're asking the wrong dude.

Law isn't a great profession these days from what I understand, might as well write stuff instead.
    petey
    Woman over 40

Pizzas : 42

Post by petey on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:05 pm

i wouldn't recommend going into law.

but from the small sample size i've witnessed, people who work after undergrad and then go back to law school tend to do better in law school than those that go straight through, thus setting themselves up for more attractive job prospects. but that's purely anecdotal, so...

but like i said earlier, i wouldn't recommend going into law. it generally blows
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 pm

I have been working several years doing various administrative jobs since graduating college with a history degree in 2012. I currently edit and am an executive assistant for a small economics research firm. My current plan is to move to Portland in September when my current lease expires to live with my girlfriend who will be doing her last year of undergrad there. I am considering looking for a job in writing/producing/media/marketing before I move there to pivot into a more creative and intellectually stimulating field.

I'm not particularly interested in being wealthy. If I could make six figures doing something I really loved, obviously that's a dream scenario. But money isn't the goal in and of itself. I am much more interested in the law than being a high-powered lawyer. My understanding is that the chorus of warnings around entering the law in the last few years are mostly related to the difficult job market in the field--that it's not as easy to get a steady job and make a lot of money as people once thought. But I don't see that as a major deterrent for me. Certainly, going back to school and getting a professional degree would be motivated by a desire to make more money than I do now. And it's not a good thing to know that you will have to scrape and scrap after racking up huge law school debts, but I'd be willing to do that if I had a good sense that working with the law on a day to day basis was something I would really enjoy.

I have been into legalese and the idea of being professionally argumentative since I was 12 years old. I like the way that law is based on precedent and "human data". That it builds on itself and grows. That it is a profession of nuance and interpretation. But I also don't have much faith in the power of the law to do moral good. I am very cynical about the way that the devotion to the "rule of law" slants our society in favor of those who know how to manipulate it. I know that the exciting and dynamic aspects of the law can be lost in the day-to-day operations of being a lawyer. I also do not want to work the long hours or have the messed up work-life balance typically associated with lawyers.

Going to graduate school to become some manner of white collar professional has always been something that I saw myself doing. But, sitting here at 25 years old, I am still afraid of committing to a serious, professional life at this point. My current office environment in California is very loose for a professional space and I already feel stymied by it. I can have my beard look however I want and I don't have to wear a collared shirt, but trying to earnestly influence world affairs is so far away from where my head is at. I have always tried to sublimate my fascination with popular culture, media, TV, sports, entertainment, and the Internet with the thought that one day I would magically stop being obsessed with them and be ready for a more "high-minded" career. But I'm not sure I see that happening.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 44
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Just convince yourself that you are ready and do it. I had this really long conversation with a professor about this once over drinks and his advice boiled down to that. Nothing about your life is going to magically reveal some passionate "high-minded" idea or career. It's a process and a really fucking boring and tedious one actually.

I'm chipping away at it tho!
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:44 pm

I often wonder if people that, for example, want to be a doctor when they're young are fundamentally wired differently than me. Are they intrinsically more interested in helping others or were they conditioned to want that career by their upbringing?

I have no illusions that the professional world is a grind and that "getting work done" can always be tedious no matter how much you enjoy your chosen field. I think there are two separate questions here for me. One, can I deal with a field that takes itself very seriously like law or policy, or should I do something with less real world consequences (that will still take lots of work and commitment)? And two, how do I reasonably assess whether I would enjoy working in a self serious field like law without interning or working the entry level in that field?
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 44
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm obviously too young and inexperienced to answer any of those questions for you. People are wired differently though, yeah. But I don't think that is the determining factor, for the most part. At least I hope not, because if so I might be totally boned...

I know that there is the ability to enroll in joint PhD/law programs though. So maybe that is worth pursuing? As for figuring out if you'd enjoy it, try asking as many lawyers as possible?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm

The Public Defender's office is in the same building as me and they're a bunch of suit-wearing goofballs.

I'm always thinking I should be talking to them, though.
    C-poots
    Wandering Dragon

Pizzas : 131

Post by C-poots on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 am

Going off of what WP is saying, I've found it personally enlightening to set up coffee meetings, informal conversations with professionals and/or "thinkers" in the fields I'm interested in. In my case I have a set of jump-off questions, and lead into a real conversation with no ulterior motive beyond self enlightenment. In my experience, it has been a great way to understand not only the day-to-day you can expect in different fields with regards to obligation and tasks, but also the sort of mentality (albeit anecdotal) of workers and people in that profession.

I've met a few people involved in marketing for example that showed a real passion for what they were doing, enjoyed entertaining my questions on their field and their roles, and gave me an image of possible paths one might take in the career as they've seen from their perch. It helped me to decide that it wasn't a field I would be passionate about. I left understanding their desire to jump in and continue in that field though, which might help you in a way narrow down if you have some innate "job" path or if your passions are suitably directed towards a career you haven't otherwise considered.

Doing so helped me realize what I enjoy doing for money (call it career/job/whatever) and, while I'm not doing that full time, I've found ways to push towards spending more time getting to that point. Plus you'll have a Rolodex so to speak of connections and contacts who may be able to help you jump the intern hurdle you mentioned when you do find something you have the ability to do and an obvious passion about.

But good luck Chrondiggity!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm