Nick
undo
7 posters

I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique Empty I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique

Post by undo Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm

This is suppossed to be the best Beastie Boys album, so much so that I've read opinions that more or less describe everything that came after it as totally irrelevant by conparison.

I prefer their albums with alternative rock radio hits. What am I doing wrong? I don't feel the hooks in this one and it sort of gives me a headache and I can't make out what they're saying half the time so the next-level lyricism on this album is lost on my ears.
    undo
    undo

I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique Empty Re: I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique

Post by undo Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:51 pm

This thread is brought to U by the same boarder who once started a Fleetwood Mac-sucks thread so just remember who U're dealing with here.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique Empty Re: I've tried but I just can't get into Paul's Boutique

Post by Nick Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:37 pm

I actually don't like this band at all.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Band or hip hop group or whatever U want to call them.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:43 pm

I can't agree with that but I'll admit that it's definitely a refreshing opinion!
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Yeah, I never got them either. eh
    Bruegel
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 am

It was the album I got into them via but the only time I listen to it now is when somebody plays it at work. Certainly has its moments but its a bit messy and long.

I do occasionally play Ill Communication or Hello Nasty at home in their entirety. Still full of bangers.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Pizzas : 281
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:33 pm

i like this album. I actually got into it way after I was a fan of them. I agree with brueg that it's a bit uneven but tracks like lookin down the barrel of a gun, hey ladies, Johnny Royal, and eggman R still good songs. Most of the hype comes from the rampant sampling which was a different approach than previous rap albums which sampled a hook or riff.

I would say their best is Check your Head.
    Bruegel
    Bruegel

Pizzas : 453

Post by Bruegel Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:29 pm

BGwaves wrote:Johnny Royal

been stuck in my head all day
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:28 pm

No one over the age of 14 enjoys Licensed To Ill, right? Maybe in an ironic sense but come on "Girls", "Fight 4 Your Right to Party"? Never need to hear that shit again.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I was looking 4 that CD today and I might have sold it but I don't actually remember. Undercooked Sausage was with me back when I bought it.
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Post by _ Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:23 pm

i think this is the only album i love that i'm 100% into 4 the lyrics
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:14 am

I'm surprised to learn that they don't have the sole production credit on any of their albums other than To the 5 Boroughs, which I don't think is supposed to be very good. I wonder if most of what we enjoy about their music comes from other people.

Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:20 am

Nick wrote:I actually don't like this band at all.

Idk. There's something that keeps me coming back but I don't end up getting through more than a few songs on any album. Always got the impression they were a formative experience 4 a lot of people who like them more than I do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm