The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by Bruegel on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Ҩ wrote:
    Bruegel wrote:I've not got much love for May
    I am curious what you love about her.

thats a euphemism for not liking someone

less colloquially, and more literally, I have no love for Theresa Mary May
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 41
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 pm

I just completely read over the not. Kind of the crucial information there, wasn't it. Sorry about that.
    Bruegel
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 437

Post by Bruegel on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 pm

I mean, there are far more odious alternatives and cunthood is relative (as beautifully evidenced by her new buddy) but she's not exactly on my Christmas card list.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:42 pm

In my congressional district (Illinois - 6th) Roskam won yet again by about 50,000 votes (20% advantage), which is a lot. And generally, the western suburbs are a conservative bastion.

However, in 2012 by district was +7 for Romney and this past year they were +7 for Hillary. That's a big swing and it says something about the skepticism a lot of suburban conservatives have about Donald Trump. I think that skepticism is only going to increase in the next couple of years and the ruling party always has a lower turnout in the midterms.

Basically, I think that the 6th can be flipped. I've been making calls to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and a bunch of voicemail messages with their Field Director. I don't know anything about running a campaign, and I don't think anyone should trust a 22-year old slob with that responsibility, but I'm gonna do whatever I need to do. I'm not saying that they should make me a campaign manager either. But I am saying that I would be a better campaign manager then anyone else willing to take this stupid, degrading job.

I'll keep you all updated about what happens with this.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Nick wrote:The level of scrutiny and outrage on display thus far is absolutely necessary but completely exhausting. I can't imagine what things will look and feel like by Day 200 in office.
    It really is dizzying. I am having a hard time keeping up with everything. Unfortunately, I think a lot of this plays really well amongst his core constituency. Sure, things are a mess and he is creating a rift in our relationship with traditional trade allies but he is doing this, at least in their minds, in defense of the economic interests of the American worker and the safety of their families from the roving bands of Mexican rapists and criminals.

I've also noticed that conservative newspapers are using this opportunity to praise Donald's actions in an embarrassingly brazen manner. The Chicago Tribune has been a joke for a long time and it has a relatively small, non-existent readership. But still, there coverage of the first week in office is totally fucked.
    undo
    Puts commas, where they don't belong

Pizzas : 417

Post by undo on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 am

tjenz wrote:I'm starting to believe the Trump presidency is going to even worse than my worst fears.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-publish-weekly-list-crimes-immigrants-commit-refugees-aliens-executive-order-us-a7546826.html

Donald Trump has ordered his new administration to publish a weekly list of crimes committed by immigrants.

The US President’s sweeping new executive order on immigration, which he signed on the fifth day of his presidency, includes a paragraph mandating the Secretary for Homeland Security to “make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens” in the US.

The list will also include details of so-called “sanctuary cities” that refuse to hand over immigrant residents for deportation.

The order reads:

To better inform the public regarding the public safety threats associated with sanctuary jurisdictions, the Secretary shall utilize the Declined Detainer Outcome Report or its equivalent and, on a weekly basis, make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens.”

It does not specify that only crimes committed by illegal immigrants should be included - raising the prospect of offences committed by any immigrant being published even if the person is living in the US legally.

The decision to publish a list of immigrant crimes is reminiscent of the ‘Black crime’ listings on Breitbart News - the far-right website that until recently was run by Steve Bannon, who is now Mr Trump’s chief strategist...
    undo

Post by undo on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 am

Or maybe that's old news by today.

Here's where I'd post my reaction to it but like you're really in suspense for that, and if we're going off of last year's supply, I've already spent my message board outrage for the whole year.

America literally voted for one of those crazy racists on Craigslist.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Pizzas : 274

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Or as Dave Chappelle said "We've actually elected an internet troll as our president".
    undo

Post by undo on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:Or as Dave Chappelle said "We've actually elected an internet troll as our president".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/technology/ct-meme-president-4chan-trump-wp-bsi-20161112-story.html
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 pm

I won't be super surprised if the the Trump presidency ends in some way similar to Gaddafi's.
    chrondog
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 200

Post by chrondog on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm

my reading of the tea leaves after these first few weeks is that we won't see real resistance until people are dying in numbers because of this president. mass death seems to be the only thing that can wake people up to the reality of what it really means to resist and stand for your values. whether that is in an overseas war, police gunning down protestors en masse, or refugees and detainees starving to death in some detention facility, we'll have Elizabeth Warren confirming Ben Carson until the consequences are actual death for many many people.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:26 pm

Do a google news search for JFK airport right now, and tell me if what is happening there right now doesn't count as "real".

ETA: also LAX, O'Hare, PHL, Dallas-Fort Worth, etc. Probably any major airport you can think of.

Last edited by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 pm

BTW by "in some way similar" I don't necessarily mean Trump himself being (literally) dragged from the White House and being beaten to death in the front yard.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Post by Ted Falconi on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Oil company guys, Rex Tillerson included, are not going too into it if "Muslim countries" decide maybe they won't let Americans in either.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:10 am

https://twitter.com/monicatea2/status/825560689888591872

I'm so mad right now I can't even see straight. I was following this on the radio and when I got home today my Dad was visibly upset that people were protesting at the airport because it was a security threat. I have never said anything intentionally mean or upsetting directed at either of my parents but I just completely lost it.

Every private citizen and lawyer who acted swiftly and effectively today did such a beautiful thing.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:25 am

Also, Jasper, I hope everyone somehow proves you wrong.
    chrondog
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 200

Post by chrondog on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 am

Ted Falconi wrote:Do a google news search for JFK airport right now, and tell me if what is happening there right now doesn't count as "real".

ETA: also LAX, O'Hare, PHL, Dallas-Fort Worth, etc.  Probably any major airport you can think of.

fair enough. that has a big impact on real people's lives. i was thinking of resistance from our elected representatives. it just doesn't seem like anyone can prevent an unpopular executive from creative massive damage. Trump can creative fires like this every single week that ruin lives and the legislative branch will fail to check him. as much as the citizenry can do, popular action and protest is often about prompting legislative change. who could we even elect in the midterms that would check his power?
    undo

Post by undo on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 am

Just when you think you know everything you're ever going to know about them, great dads can really pull the rug out from under you with some fucking retarded opinions and bullshit reasoning over the most infuriating issues and you'll never see it coming.

It'll happen to you one day so try to forgive him.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:50 am

undo wrote:It'll happen to you one day so try to forgive him.
    Nah, I will never come out as pro-torture. I love my Dad but he is part of the problem with American society.
    undo

Post by undo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:23 am

Trump puts Bannon on security council, dropping joint chiefs

I can't keep up.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    In-character Poster

Pizzas : 244
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 am

meanwhile, other tea leaf readers are predicting trump's very own reichstag fire event in the coming weeks. so yeah, it could get a lot darker.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I am definitely afraid of what any terrorist attack might do to the country as a whole at this point. It would be fucking awful.

In the meantime, there is going to be almost wall-to-wall coverage of the many people this executive order effects. From students, young kids, senior citizens, physically and mentally disabled detainees, and Iraqi intelligence operatives and allies. The New Yorker already did a long expose on a young Iraqi Yazidi who had only recently been granted asylum into the United States and is now prevented from reaching our borders.

These stories are devastating. Unfortunately, my feeling is that a lot of conservative voters insulate themselves from these stories. Or, if does reach them, they will justify all of it as unfortunate but necessary collateral damage for their own protection and safety.

Going forward then, the best weapon that we have is the law. Senator Duckworth and Durbin opened an independent, non-partisan investigation into the legality of the EO and the activity of Customs and Border Patrol agents. Call them both today and give your support. They should take down your name and zip code.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:14 pm

And yes, if an attack on American soil does happen in the coming weeks and months it will be devastating not just because it will kill innocent civilians but because it will serve as the pretext and justification for an authoritarian crackdown on our basic civil liberties.

If, and I hate to even go down this conjectural path, that does happen it will be important to remind everyone constantly that there were no attacks committed by refugees or asylum seekers since 1980 and that a major reason for the attack is that our State department and National Security department is not functioning because of Trump's shit appointments. It's also because of unconstitutional executive orders that has created chaos in our airports, has put a target on our backs, and is being used as a propaganda tool for ISIS and other terrorist networks.
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 604

Post by Nick on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Let's be real here we are a terrorist attack or just some Bannon dick swinging away from a major internet shutdown. These fucking people can't push their agenda so long as social media exists.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:39 am

Good on Berkeley.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 am