tjenz
Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 9 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by zappo Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:26 pm

undo wrote:Actually reading those tweets, the accusations presented in them aside (just for a moment), it's not just "apparent" but really fucking clear that this guy is really not all there, that his reading and writing ability, actual understanding of history and how government works is trapped at a 8th or possibly 9th grade level.

I just got my takeout so I'll come back to this terrible thought later tonight.

Reminds me a great deal of Reagan in his final years in office.  IE, when he was very obviously entering the early stages of Alzheimer's.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 9 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by chrondog Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:07 pm

you guys are just now catching up to the fact that Donald Trump isn't as educated as the average American high schooler?
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 pm

No. lol
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:23 am

tapp
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:06 am

chrondog wrote:you guys are just now catching up to the fact that Donald Trump isn't as educated as the average American high schooler?

I mean, coming to terms with new levels of reality that I never knew were there takes time, this is all kind of new to me, too.

I means specifically stupid about a number of really important matters, as opposed to a big, vague dumb person that we knew we were going to get but could speculate about, I guess!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 pm

fun stuff watching the media trip over their dicks to report "pro-Trump rallies" that were attended by 75 people

also cool that a bunch of shitty out-of-towners came to Berkeley yesterday and some of them got punched in the face by anarchists and five people got arrested and that's worthy of a Washington Post article
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:28 pm

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

You know that GWB was probably reading before bed every night, probably presidential biographies and history books. He probably had a favorite movies list. He obviously enjoys art. He was interested in understanding the world and believed that he could learn from others. He was "dumb" but he was curious and he was at least putting in work to try to better himself. If he wasn't the world's greatest pilot, he at least got through the training and was forced to grapple with the physics of it all and could manage the mental stress of the experience.

It is definitely possible that Donald Trump has never read a novel for pleasure. He's probably devoured shelves of shit like this but he has definitely never made an effort to read up about anything that he didn't already have a strong opinion about or tried to actually learn about anything in the world that he didn't already agree with.  Can you imagine Donald Trump watching a movie and actually enjoying it? Getting lost in it and not talking through the whole thing or getting his phone out and looking at Twitter after 15 minutes? Can you imagine Donald Trump giving a shit about art, aside from how much his collection cost or how much he might be able to sell it for? What's Donald Trump's favorite album? He probably likes Frank Sinatra but the idea of him actually listening to music, ever, is just too ridiculous to consider. What does he enjoy? Does he have an inner life? Does he understand science at a high school level? Can he cook his own meals? It's been 50+ years since he was in military school, I don't know if he can really do anything for himself anymore.

We always called GWB "stupid" and we did it in the same flippant, casual way that we're doing it with Trump, and that's really dangerous because it ignores the very serious deficiencies in this man's intellect and imagination that are so fucking huge that it's really difficult for most people to complete the two-step process of both comprehending and accepting. This guy is literally dumb and reflexively digs his heels in against any opportunity to change that.

Being stupid/having a low IQ has been the go-to insult against every president, even actual brilliant dudes like Obama, so it's lost its meaning and people don't take it very seriously anymore. The truth about Trump and his permanently illogical thought patters, ignorance of undisputed facts and knowledge, non-interest in reading, inability to grasp complicated concepts, actual inability to imagine people and situations outside of his own experience, cannot be conveyed by brushing him off as "dumb" or whatever. It's a reality too horrible and preposterous for most people, even his critics, to honestly consider.

I don't know what the point of this post is (probably not to convince anyone here), I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Sometimes I wonder if Donald Trump's election has less to do with economics and politics and more to do with some deep apathy or nihilism in this country. I don't really know how to explain that and that isn't a fleshed out idea. Nor do I think it is helpful to turn political events into an existential category, but its crazy that he got as many votes as he did, and even crazier that almost half of the American public thought it was okay to just sit this one out (discounting the people who are either barred from voting or have an honest difficulty through voter ID laws but that certainly isn't 48% of the American public).

tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:03 am

Trump's world view is entirely informed by cable news, Brietbart, Info Wars,.... Doesn't matter if you lean right or left, that's not good.
    It's doesn't help that he is an unhinged ego maniac.

If I was Obama, I would sue Trump for every penny he has, for those insane tweets.
    Obama cares enough for America, and the office of the president, that he would not stoop to that level.

Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Michelle Obama's line that "when they go low, we go high" is the new rallying cry for total, abject failure
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm

George W Bush didn't read the news and acted like it would be stupid to do so. He had his movies edited for sex, language, and violence. The press had a quizzically raised eyebrow when it was reported he had begun reading "The Stranger" by Camus. He once told the press his favorite political philosopher was Jesus Christ. That we found this man to be dumb was to have a natural response to what we were presented with. That's not to deny the immense chasm between him and our current president, because there absolutely is one. But the fact that we can look back at the Bush administration with anything approaching fondness only speaks to how truly terrible Trump is.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 977

Post by Nick Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Between the new healthcare plan rollout and headlines that Trump wants to cut airport security to finance his wall this morning already has my head spinning.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 pm

^ That Undo post a few up was a pretty good read imo, but god damn guys. This shit is pretty fucking messed up all around!

When those tweets went out my first thought was, "whoa whoa whoa there... if there is any degree of truth to this claim whatsoever, why the fuck are you blasting it out on twitter? Seems like such a matter should be kept very strictly need to know and handled like a classified investigation."

Trump whines about leaks, but the onesidedness is so blatantly obvious.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm

I particularly love when he asks questions over Twitter. 'Can that be possible?'

How the fuck should I know, guy. You are the President, look into it and report back to us.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

undo wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/25/hr-mcmaster-national-security-radical-islamic-terrorism-trump

Is this dude legit

Both McMaster and Mattis are very legit imo. I know I'm giving him far too much credit, but it's almost as if Trump's decided to just check out in matters of defense/security and go with whatever guy is most highly regarded by the top flag officers. Certainly don't approve of the predictable and inevitable overspending though.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Agree with that. Normally I would find that sort of erosion of civilian control of military decisions troubling, and I still do if I think about it, but not nearly as troubling as military control by this particular civilian.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

^ nicely put
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

I've said for some time that Trump's greatest strength is his ability to read and manipulate people... he's like a guy who wins on survivor. The viewers hate him because they have access to the full scope of the story, but the other people on the island will bend over backwards for him. He'll knife you in the back, but later that day you'll find yourself asking him out to dinner. Stories like this only prove the point. It actually sort of bothers me when people call him dumb... he says mind-numbingly dumb things daily, and he's willingly ignorant on most policy issues, but from a sociopathic people manipulation standpoint, guy's sort of a genius.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/13/519888191/can-white-house-bowling-heal-gop-divisions-and-spare-the-health-care-bill

"Oh, he's such a good listener." Jesus guys, that's his bread and butter... he makes you truly believe that he gives a shit. And then once you're in his corner, he does whatever the fuck he wants. Ted Cruz and Lindsay Graham talking him up on twitter? Get your heads outta your asses you clowns, this guy is the same fucking guy he's always been. Ugh.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm

The more I think about Maddow's fake bombshell of a tax return cock tease the more I'm convinced the anti-Trump and anti-Republican journalists are going to hand him 8 years.

They are all so horrible and ineffective at their jobs. They literally do more to encourage people to gravitate towards Trump than the opposite each week.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 pm

That opinion is total and complete bullshit. One Tweet and suddenly Rachel Maddow is public enemy number one? She calls a spade a spade 100 times more than your average asshole at the New York Times. How does her pulling a publicity stunt encourage people to vote for Donald Trump?

This is what's really going on: http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/03/15/video-nazis-thrown-out-of-portlands-lucky-lab-beer-hall/

Nazi assholes have been emboldened and will continue to grow. The normalization and the mainstreamification of white supremacy and general jingoism is on the fucking LOOSE. I don't know what we do to stop people from being terrible people when most people are quite terrible.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm

No. It's a valid opinion and I stand by it.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 am

Maddow had one tweet that about it. She said exactly what she said she had. She made a compelling case that the American people have every right to know what is in Trump's taxes.

Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 am

Finally got around to reading about Trump's budget proposal. Wow.

This is a really, albeit very nauseating, read. Stuff like this makes me want to throw my hands in the air and resign myself completely. It should not be this easy to make a mockery of public discourse and political engagement. It is unthinkable that thoughtless contrarians can hijack the political system by making baseless appeals to the economic, racial, and maybe gendered anxieties (service industries work is emasculating, apparently?) and be this successful. It will never stop being frustrating and sometimes the only logical response is for me to ignore these things entirely.

Then I remember that I would very much like to leave an inhabitable planet for my children and grandchildren and the ongoing crisis in Yemen is quickly escalating into a humanitarian disaster that could lead to millions of innocent civilians starving to death. And that Trump's budget proposal, and Republican acquiescence, to cut foreign aid to these at-risk countries will abandon these people to horrifying fates. And I feel very, very sad and I wish things were not this way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm