tjenz
Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 21 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by reuben Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 am

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 21 Tumblr_or31m3i1RL1u4kolmo3_1280
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 21 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by undo Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 am

So season 3 is on DVD/blu ray now huh
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 am

You're fuckin' right, it is.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 am

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 21 DOUGJONES
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 am

God bless the black women of Alabama because white people were all in on Moore.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm

today, we are all this lady

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 21 Hqdefault

thank you Mr. Jackpots
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey what's Pinkerton's twitter handle?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:05 pm

https://twitter.com/percypringleIII

I see we don't have any Pinkerton emoticons but a couple of whoever the fuck this is supposed to be:
    paddyograpes
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Even I was like Neutral when he posted that Gorka photo on that other forum.

The name of that smiley is neutral but that's never what I used it for.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Pinkerton has been killing it on Twitter since this Roy Moore business started up. He also live Snapchatted the Moore rally where Gorka/Palin/et al showed up.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm

His posts in the Hipinion midterm thread have been really good as well. I don't really remember him that well from LoPP, but I seem to remember being kind of weirded out by him. His online presence seems very different than what I recall.

This was really great news!! I woke up this morning in a great mood and was chanting Doug-ie, Doug-ie in my car during the morning commute (I was listening to The Daily coverage of the election so it wasn't totally random). I didn't realize that this seat will be up for reelection in 2020 though. I thought it would be a full six year term.

It's unlikely that Jones would be reelected, but you never know. More importantly, this gives Democrats a more plausible path to retaking the Senate in 2018 and recent national polling suggests that the ~35 seat swing we will need in the House is very possible. It's only just begun! iwantsomeofthat
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Ҩ wrote:I don't really remember him that well from LoPP, but I seem to remember being kind of weirded out by him. His online presence seems very different than what I recall.

we all saw his penis once.

he used to be more of a troll, like a lot of us were when we were younger, and is now more of a serious poster.

Ҩ wrote:Hipinion

I seriously can't imagine reading this board in 2017

Must be filled with the most ludicrous contrarians and hot-take artists on The Net
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 992
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:04 pm

I've probably missed the discussion, but out of curiosity, can you guys come up with pros for net neutrality repeal? Somebody asked me to provide a "pro" argument, and this is all I could come up with:

facebook ned wrote:The one I've heard referenced the most is something along the lines of, "See, there's only like 2 ISPs right now and they have all the money and all the power. Once we get rid of net neutrality, they'll fuck everybody over, because they are greedy. Then, other competitors will pop up to compete with the now hated villians and the people will get to choose. In the end, only the best run companies who look out for thier customers will stick around as big ISPs and somehow both price and service will be better." Of this argument, I say that the part about the big companies fucking us over is pretty much a 100% certainty, and the rest is baseless assumption that'll probably amount to absolutely nothing.

Am I off base here, or that sound about right?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

with something that takes as much capital and infrastructure investment as high speed internet, i don't really see how "small players" can crop up and compete with megacorporations that made all their money as telecoms.

i've seen a couple commentators online say "the Internet is not a right". well, can you reasonably expect to be able to have a job and vote without getting online? probably not. the Internet is a civic requirement and should be regulated like a public utility imo, which is what has been argued by a good number of people on the left.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 pm

The pro is a some companies want a shit ton of power to make a lot of money. Oh, you meant for consumers? Something something freedom.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

Ned Braden wrote:I've probably missed the discussion, but out of curiosity, can you guys come up with pros for net neutrality repeal?

It took our jobs eh
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 228

Post by techno raj Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 pm

There are pretty nuanced pro-repeal takes out there:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/11/28/one-law-professors-overview-of-the-confusing-net-neutrality-debate/

I haven't really picked a side. Almost everyone I know was anti-repeal but it didn't seem like a lot of them had a good grasp of the technical details and it's more of a general "ISPs are bad" sentiment.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 am

In an astonishing order, the Trump administration has banned the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from using seven words — including “fetus,” “transgender,” “diversity” and “science-based” — in any documents used to prepare the agency’s budget, The Washington Post has reported.

CDC policy analysts were reportedly informed of the forbidden words in a 90-minute meeting in Atlanta on Thursday with senior CDC officials. The other banned words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement” and “evidence-based,” according to the Post, citing an unnamed policy analyst. The meeting was led by a senior member of the CDC’s Office of Financial Services. She didn’t know why the words were forbidden and said she was merely relaying information, the Post reported.

Instead of the words “science-based” or “evidence-based,” analysts were told they could use instead: The “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the newspaper reported.

The Post’s source could not recall a previous time in any other administration when words were forbidden.

Dr. Loren Schechter, director of the Center for Gender Confirmation surgery at Weiss Memorial Hospital in Chicago and a member of the board of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, said he was shocked by the edict.

“I’m not sure what the ultimate rationale is for doing this aside from trying to erase certain types of people off the map,” he told HuffPost, referring to the ban on the words “transgender” and “diversity.”

“I think walking back hard-earned civil rights is something that is, number one, quite shocking to me and, number two, quite concerning. Simply choosing to ignore reality, science, medicine, will not make these things go away and will not really advance anyone’s cause or lead to improved health outcomes.”

“This is quite an absurdity,” Schechter said. “The president sets the agenda. It’s quite scary ... it really sends a chill down your spine. I can’t imagine how you don’t allow terms to be used. It’s sort of like the thought police here.

“Perhaps we can say the world is flat now,” he said.  

Twitter erupted following the news. Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) complained that Trump is “making America stupid again” and wondered if leaders would soon be supporting voodoo and leeches to fight disease. A tweet from Planned Parenthood said the Trump administration has “disdained” women’s health, the LGBTQ community and science from the start.

Treating science as a matter of opinion rather than an objective, evidence-based reality appears to have become a hallmark of the Trump administration, particularly when it comes to climate change. So, too, is scrubbing certain words and information from discussions, documents and websites that don’t fit with Donald Trump’s vision. The Department of Health and Human Services has dropped information on its website about LGBTQ individuals.

“Banning valid terminology from government reports is both ignorant and dangerous,” Arthur Caplan, professor of bioethics at New York University’s School of Medicine, told HuffPost in an email. “Not since Lysenko and Stalin has government made hate, malice and duplicity official policy. The Trump administration with its seven-dirty-words policy has now elevated lying to a national standard.

“We cannot replace truth with bias — the nation cannot survive a steady diet of bullshit.”
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I've completely checked out in a big way since Christmas and it's felt so good.

It's almost like it could just go on forever.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:28 am

I guess it's cool that trump and bannon are feuding. Still though, this presidency can't die soon enough, and I pray to jeebus this fucktard gets impeached soon.
    tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 am

I'm trying to be patient about Mueller's investigation. I want results NOW!

Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am

maybe the insane pressure of this week and this book's release will persuade djt's internal organs to resign in disgrace
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm

I would be so happy for him to be impeached and this thread to get a "solved" and updated end date.

On that note, have you guys seen this yet? Read is as depressing as it is funny, but I think that nothing but good things will come from this being number one on the bestseller list for multiple months. Quote pull:  
    Here, arguably, was the central issue of the Trump presidency, informing every aspect of Trumpian policy and leadership: He didn’t process information in any conventional sense. He didn’t read. He didn’t really even skim. Some believed that for all practical purposes he was no more than semi-­literate. He trusted his own expertise ­— no matter how paltry or irrelevant — more than anyone else’s. He was often confident, but he was just as often paralyzed, less a savant than a figure of sputtering and dangerous insecurities, whose instinctive response was to lash out and behave as if his gut, however confused, was in fact in some clear and forceful way telling him what to do. It was, said Walsh, “like trying to figure out what a child wants.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

snoooooooze

why does it take a poorly sourced whisper campaign for the lame ass DC crowd to start talking about stuff? none of this stuff is remotely new, but now that it's "published" in a "book" we're supposed to take it seriously?

the infotainment media is totally useless to democracy at this point and the incentives in their business will never be there for anything except gloryhunting and profiteering. we need to find something else to stay informed.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Most of us have been taking this shit seriously for a year now. Seeing this “book” come out and dominate the infotainment coverage will... make the concern more mainstream? Is my hope.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:23 am