Ted Falconi
21 posters

The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 24 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by Ned Braden Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:43 pm

This has nothing directly to do with politics, but I still think it belongs here:

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 24 3f4e1a10

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

The Donald J. Trump Presidency - Page 24 Empty Re: The Donald J. Trump Presidency

Post by jesus jones Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 am

we're so severely fucked
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

Post by undo Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 am

No idea what to possibly post right now, certainly nothing wise or responsible
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm

We're daily treated to insane bullshit that would have resulted in a megathread and now it's like what's the point of saying anything.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 pm

chrondog wrote:This immigration bill is a fucking disgrace and Stephen Miller is a cunt
    This dude smokes piss.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm

undo wrote:No idea what to possibly post right now, certainly nothing wise or responsible
    We should seriously consider dissolving the office of the Presidency and move to a parliamentary system.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 pm

I hate the two fuckers sitting behind him so much more than even Don himself.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm

chrondog wrote:
    chrondog wrote:No matter what action anyone takes on the left it will be branded as "counterproductive" by the media and internet trolls. This is the sickness in the way public discourse treats progressive action. Every obstructionist, trolling, offensive, and borderline illegal behavior by right wingers is "savvy", "politically expedient", or "all part of the plan". All left wing action is "disorganized", "goalless", and "plays right into their hands". Guess what? Pretty much all political action is emotional, disorganized, and often goalless. It's hard to organize people and make their POVs homogenous!

Trump's latest line, which most people will buy hook line and sinker, is that disruptions at GOP town halls are "planned by liberal activists". So it's bad if leftists are disorganized AND protests are invalid if they are planned because they're not spontaneous enough. There can be no winning with most of the cretins out there.

Can we also take this time to note that the Berkeley protests elevated Milo's profile, got him a ton of scrutiny, and eventually got his book deal cancelled? Are people still going to put those people down? This is what I was saying about how insane it is to judge a protest action within 10 minutes of it happening based on some cookie cutter narrative. A bunch of assholes in the media were super snarky about how "all trolls love is attention! just don't pay attention to them and they'll go away!" Uhhh, didn't Milo get a book deal by being a giant troll? Didn't he write all the time at Breitbart by being a troll? Ignoring trolls doesn't make them go away! they can still get book publishers to try and make a profit off of peddling their shit to their narrow audience. Niche can still sell and it does a disservice to borderline dangerous trolls to let them get off like that. By elevating Milo's garbage into the public discourse, he had to defend his views to a broad audience, which he was completely unable to do. In the wider context his abhorrent views were rejected. So next time you want to talk about "feeding the trolls", how bout you shut the fuck up New York Times Magazine writer on Twitter?

fuck weeny armchair liberals: https://www.salon.com/2018/01/31/antifa-vs-milo-yiannopoulos-who-won/
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Duff... wrote:We're daily treated to insane bullshit that would have resulted in a megathread and now it's like what's the point of saying anything.

Like why bother even mentioning this memo?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 pm

i'm trying my absolute hardest not to
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:03 am

Non-stories needn't distract from the real shit. We good.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 am

Is the memo a non story?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 pm

OK, I guess we are talking about this.

The contents of the memo are a big non-story. That it was released to embarrass and discredit the FBI and Department of Justice with the possible use as a pretext to fire Rosenstein is a pretty big story IMHO.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article198215114.html

Who makes these decisions?

Who is accountable for it?

Do citizens have any voice in these decisions / is there any causative relationship between the public officials we elect and how this agency operates?

Is it reasonable to expect that a Democrat-controlled Congress could/would influence and/or order a change in these actions or will that always look politically risky and there’s just nothing we can do to ever stop this from happening?

That’s a pathetic question to ask but it feels like nothing short of acquiring a real Death Note could ever stop this.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 pm

undo wrote:Who makes these decisions?

Federal agencies (like the Department of Homeland Security) who have been given police powers.

undo wrote:Who is accountable for it?

The leaders of these bureaucracies who are appointed by the President.

undo wrote:Do citizens have any voice in these decisions / is there any causative relationship between the public officials we elect and how this agency operates?

No / Other than the Presidential election, not really.

undo wrote:Is it reasonable to expect that a Democrat-controlled Congress could/would influence and/or order a change in these actions or will that always look politically risky and there’s just nothing we can do to ever stop this from happening?

Obama deported a ton of people but he wasn't doing this. The Chief Executive sets the agenda and the tone for these massive agencies.

Congress' only oversight is "the power of the purse", which isn't really effective anymore because of partisan politics. The Democrats couldn't increase oversight on DHS or defund ICE, for example.

This is why, as much as Democrats are loathsome corporatists, thinking "both parties are the same" is ignorant as shit.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 pm

chrondog wrote:This is why, as much as Democrats are loathsome corporatists, thinking "both parties are the same" is ignorant as shit.

That this needs to be even fucking said this deep into a Trump presidency, man.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 pm

this was good
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 am

sitting in my IKEA chair and reading this shit

how
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm

^this was about the parade and apparently the only way I can honestly articulate my feelings anymore
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Slowly coming to grips with the depths of my own laziness and cowardice and the fact that, yes, I grew up just knowing that if I'd lived in 1930s Germany that I never would have been one of those people who simply stood by and passively watched everything change all around them.

If I'm going to be honest and realistic, oh yeah, I absolutely would have been one of those people because that's exactly who I am right now.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:17 pm

We are so good at being emotionally played.

Osama bin Laden knew exactly how to get us to us destroy ourselves.

Vladimir Putin understands this on a deeper level beyond any mere economic or legislative mechanisms.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/fema-contract-puerto-rico.html

Americans couldn't care less, about the disaster victims, not even about the wasted money this time around. All of it can be waved away with "but it's an island and..." It really worked. The media doesn't want anything to do with this unparalleled catastrophe, one that's literally on the same scale as the entire state of Iowa or Connecticut being reduced to ruins.

tjenz
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 77

Post by tjenz Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 pm

imlikewhoa

Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 pm

gossip rags do more honest reporting than establishment media paralyzed by business considerations and fealty to "access"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5362823/Ex-wife-WH-aide-dating-Hope-Hicks-says-choked-her.html
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm

undo wrote:Slowly coming to grips with the depths of my own laziness and cowardice and the fact that, yes, I grew up just knowing that if I'd lived in 1930s Germany that I never would have been one of those people who simply stood by and passively watched everything change all around them.

If I'm going to be honest and realistic, oh yeah, I absolutely would have been one of those people because that's exactly who I am right now.

Fuck.
    I’m trying to do something... but I’m not trying hard enough or fast enough, and I’m concerned that, like it or not, I’m already part of his machine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm