European Politics

raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 165

Re: European Politics

Post by raj gibson on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:27 am

Will this result affect the balance of power between London and Hull in any way?
    Bruegel
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 442

Post by Bruegel on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Lol. Hull is currently the UK City of Culture!
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 41
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Bruegel wrote:I saw Corbyn as uniquely badly placed to win a debate on terrorism/security but my views may be slightly skewed on this:

Using the latest atrocities to score bobbies-on-the-beat points doesn't really cut it with me.
    Totally fair. The politics of security and tragedy are always disgusting and preferably avoidable anyway. However, in so far as it is just a reality, it was interesting to watch him successfully flip the script on these things. Usually liberals/leftists/progressives will just acquiesce to public opinion and adopt a militarized conservative worldview as a triangulation strategy (see: Clinton Crime Bill of '94). I'd actually never considered an alternative strategy or approach, so it was noteworthy for me.

Bruegel wrote:Having voted for Corbyn as my local MP at 3 general elections I'm well aware of his strengths but I'm also very familiar with his shortcomings. I appreciate that this is a vantage point not enjoyed by the vast majority of the electorate or overseas observers.

I lived in his constituency for 12 years. For 4 years of that period I lived on the same street as Finsbury Park mosque, outside which Abu Hamza delivered his weekly hate speeches (prior to the 2003 raid).

During this time, Corbyn was deaf to local community concerns about what was happening there and even cited the mosque as an example of multiculturalism.
    And of course, I appreciate that no amount of Guardian/BBC coverage and Deutsche Welle 'Inside Europe' podcasts can replace the awareness and perspective of local constituents. I had no knowledge, for example, of the Finsbury Park mosque and its financial and ideological ties to militant Islamic groups prior to 2005. I'm sure there are hundreds of other examples where I'm out of my depth.

I do try my best to take these elections on their own terms, but of course I have a rooting interest and will unfortunately slip into hollow triumphalism at times. Though give me some credit here, I've refrained from calling him The Absolute Boy. Razz

The only thing that puts me on the defensive are flimsy attacks against millennial voters. That got my undies in a major bunch during the Democratic primaries as well. It makes me very upset and sad. In my experience, many young voters are refreshingly engaged and we should give them credit. They also have legitimate economic concerns and we aren't just here for the sick memes (although these are often very funny too).

At least in England there is a consensus around the desirability of things like the NHS. We don't even have that assurance and it majorly sucks. I've been thinking a lot about how different my outlook would be if I lived in a country where my health was not an insurable commodity and it would be transformative. I would approach my future in a really different manner and would probably be more willing to take chances and improve my quality of life. Instead, I'm basically abandoning my dream of continuing university because I'm terrified of turning 26, being kicked off my parent's insurance, and not having a secure job/career. And I'm of course very fortunate. For most of my friends, the option is deciding whether or not to commute to a full-time job from home to save money on their rent, or work 60 hour weeks just to pay the bills while paying off their massive college debt without any possibility of loan forgiveness or refinancing. Meanwhile, the baby boomer generation is bankrupting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. and simultaneously electing the most craven assholes so they can receive huge tax cuts simultaneously. Mad

This is all just to say, we have a legitimate stake in this. I'm far less concerned about proving that, in fact, we are actually consuming our own congealed labor-power as fictitious commodity, and really just want some guarantee that I can pursue certain available options without fearing the potential consequences of bankrupting medical costs... Following elections across the Ocean is encouraging, in some way, because it suggests political possibilities for avoiding that awful possibility. It also makes me wonder what life could be like with just a few extra stamps in my passport and a rather large leap of faith.
    chrondog
    Puts commas, where they don't belong

Pizzas : 207

Post by chrondog on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm

some of my friends are in Barcelona this week. my friend sent a Snapchat of him skateboarding by the Catedral de Barcelona about 30 minutes after the attacks today. they were pretty close by when it happened.

earlier this year my parents were at an orchestra in Central London when the London Bridge attacks happened.

stuff feels close sometimes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 am