Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Hoop It Up Empty Hoop It Up

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 am

my pacers beat the heat tonight. hoops!
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Hoop It Up Empty Re: Hoop It Up

Post by yancy Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 am

cheers Fuck those guys. I still assume Miami will win the east, but the west looks pretty promising. I hope whoever plays Miami in the finals shuts down the corner three like Thibs did last week.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm

My first in a new series of Podcasts about things, including the NBA

https://soundcloud.com/jasperness/jasperness-episode-1
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 987
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Rose graduated to taking some contact in practice, timeline uncertain, Bulls looking good in the standings. Sounds good to me.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

i'm really liking the Pacers to grab the third seed this year and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 pm

jasperness wrote:My first in a new series of Podcasts about things, including the NBA

https://soundcloud.com/jasperness/jasperness-episode-1
    I don't understand a thing you're talking about here but pozzed nonetheless for making the effort to produce this. Basketball
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm

I spent 30 minutes researching and brainstorming some ideas and did it in one take, then listened to it and listened to it again while i edited it a bit. Recorded it on a Macbook Air with Garage Band and the built-in mic.

I want to do these consistently and build a catalog and a brand. As I say in the cast, it's a "creative outlet" and I want to be better.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

jasperness wrote:i'm really liking the Pacers to grab the third seed this year and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs
    yes, i gathered that while listening to you talk about basketball while i made dinner.

perhaps you forget that the team with the best defense, which you claim they have because they play the east, will also be playing the east in the playoffs?

they are too strong of a team to lose in the first round to someone mediocre, which is what the bottom half of the east will be. after starting 10-11 they've gone 11-3, which was basically figuring out how to play both offense & defense absent Granger and adjusting to a new bench. they're a different team than they were a month ago.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 am

paul george probably earned himself a spot on the all-star roster this week.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Post by yancy Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 pm

jasperness wrote:My first in a new series of Podcasts about things, including the NBA
    goodjobgoodeffort.jpg

No but seriously, good job. Nice analysis from someone less unsophisticated than myself. The fantasy stuff was over my head, but that's not your fault, I just don't play fantasy or follow stats that closely. It was cool to hear you mention how the Blazers need to be on TV, in light of last night's awesome comeback over the Heat on TNT. Looking forward to the next one.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 pm

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

For the second consecutive game in Madison Square Garden, Bulls guard Nate Robinson hit a 3-pointer and celebrated by doing the "Discount Double Check" that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers made popular and Knicks guard Steve Novak, a Packers fan, helped bring to New York City. Novak did not appreciate Robinson's display after it was over.

"It warms my heart, it really does," Novak said. "The best part about doing the belt is hearing the stories of all the little kids around the world that hit a 3-pointer and do the belt. You know, one day when little Nathan grows up, I hope that his dreams come true and he can be just like me ... someday I hope that little Nathan can grow up and all of his dreams can come true and he can be just like me ... it was extremely heartwarming."
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 pm

i really can't stand nate robinson or joakim noah. i appreciate their basketball skills and how they get into the game, but no one in professional sports other than ray lewis celebrates themselves more than those two jokers.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 pm

At least they never killed anybody.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Noah is fucking awesome
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Come on http://www.joakimnoahonline.com/
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:
    jasperness wrote:i'm really liking the Pacers to grab the third seed this year and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs
    yes, i gathered that while listening to you talk about basketball while i made dinner.

perhaps you forget that the team with the best defense, which you claim they have because they play the east, will also be playing the east in the playoffs?

they are too strong of a team to lose in the first round to someone mediocre, which is what the bottom half of the east will be. after starting 10-11 they've gone 11-3, which was basically figuring out how to play both offense & defense absent Granger and adjusting to a new bench. they're a different team than they were a month ago.

i bit the bullet on League Pass the other day and really enjoyed watching them tear the Knicks sans Carmelo a new one.

i also realize the Pacers commitment to harassing team defense is total and the more you watch them the more you have to realize they are a top 5 defense.

i hate the Pacers depth and their offensive ceiling is pretty low. it's not inconceivable they lose to a Brooklyn/Atlanta type in the first round. i don't think they should lose per se, i would just predict, for one reason or another, they won't be 100% come playoff time.

i have more fun than other people do watching the defensive style of the Pacers, i think. party because i have David West/George Hill on my fantasy team but also because at least they're intense and gritty. i hated the Rockets/Celtics game last night because it was too neat and tidy even though there was a lot of good individual offense.

Last edited by jasperness on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm

yancy wrote:
    goodjobgoodeffort.jpg

No but seriously, good job. Nice analysis from someone less unsophisticated than myself. The fantasy stuff was over my head, but that's not your fault, I just don't play fantasy or follow stats that closely. It was cool to hear you mention how the Blazers need to be on TV, in light of last night's awesome comeback over the Heat on TNT. Looking forward to the next one.

i think the style was probably better than the actual content. thems the breaks when you spend more time reading box scores than watching games though.

the "one dude talking to himself" format is definitely not as good as a conversation so i'd love to have guests in the future.
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Post by _ Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 pm

good stuff jasper

been following basketball again for the past couple seasons after not really caring since mj retired so i'm always looking for shit like this
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 pm

if a bunch of Canadians and an Australian dude making terrible puns with Grievis Vasquez's name sounds appealing i recommend The Basketball Jones podcast on iTunes or at http://www.thescore.com/tbj

there's not a lot of people who do daily NBA podcasts so you have to take em or leave em. these guys recap the games Monday-Thursday and have a wrap up show on Fridays. i listen to the ESPN Fantasy Focus Basketball cast too but that's only weekly.

i will probably do a football cast after the games today and another basketball one next week. i also want to do a "2013 in music" one where i talk about how i didn't listen to music in 2013 and hate on "Call Me Maybe" but i need more time.

are you a Bulls fan?
    _
    _

Post by _ Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 pm

yeah, i got back in on the rose MVP bandwagon/strength of childhood nostalgia

it's kind of fun to watch this fucking bizarre team grind it out without rose/any real expectations but i've been more into the rockets this year as far as sheer enjoyment level
    _
    _

Post by _ Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 pm

trying to grasp more of the nuances/strategy too, https://www.youtube.com/user/bballbreakdown?feature=watch has been pretty helpful
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 pm

_ wrote:trying to grasp more of the nuances/strategy too, https://www.youtube.com/user/bballbreakdown?feature=watch has been pretty helpful

this is sort of what i'm in it for too. i think watching a lot of soccer has helped me with this. i see a basketball half-court as very similar to a soccer penalty area and the way to get to the rim or get an open three point look is similar to to trying to break down a defense by passing the soccer ball until you have an angle on goal.

i agree with you on the Rockets being entertaining. can't say i've detected too much offensive "strategy" from that team though.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 pm

basketball jones is a pretty good site. i wish there were more online writing on the nba.

brooklyn v indiana on NBA tv right now.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 pm

why do you follow Indiana kmac

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am