Hoop It Up

ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Hoop It Up - Page 5 Empty Re: Hoop It Up

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

how many people have really been to an actual track meet.
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Post by yancy Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm

I have witnessed zero track meets, cake walks, or dumpster fires.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 pm

my cousins' Catholic school had a "Fall Festival" every year that had a cake walk booth
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Had no idea what a cake walk was until a couple weekends ago when one of my older friends explained it. Seemed like a generational thing that probably doesn't happen much these days, but in light of Chrono's post, who knows.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 pm

the cake walk at the Catholic non-Halloween festival is of the ridiculous carnival game variety, not the antiquated minstrel show variety

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk_(carnival_game)
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah, that's the one my friend told me about.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 pm

weird. i've never seen it anywhere but at that festival. but i don't go to county fair/carnival/circus types of events ever so maybe their still out there.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

He's pushing 50, so there's that.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:01 pm

This has probably been the most discussed topic of the season so far, but I'm more interested in reading your opinions on it than any sportswriters'.

Why have the Lakers been so bad?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Steve Nash make a combined $82.5 million dollars this year and, collective, aren't playing anywhere near that level.

Paul Gasol has been used ineffectually all year by Mike D'Antoni, such that it is impossible he plays up to his $19 million contract. D'Antoni relegated him to the bench to play as Dwight Howard's backup at the 5, rather than building a system around the two of them at the 4 and 5. Gasol has also played through plantar fasciitis the entire year and has now torn his plantar fascia, ruling him out 8 weeks.

Dwight Howard, coming off massive back surgery, rushed back from injury and subsequently torn his labrum (a painful shoulder injury). His back surgery hurt his athleticism to the point where he was just playing like an average big man through the first weeks of the season. He still lead the league in rebounds per game, but wasn't a smothering defensive force, blocked less shots, and couldn't cover up the defensive weaknesses of his teammates like Nash and Kobe, two competent but far from lock down defenders. Since his labrum injury he has lacked aggression. Inflammation of that injury from contact to his shoulder has him playing scared. The pain is such that after a game of pounding, he cannot lift his arm above his head. Couple this with the fact that Howard has said his "feet go numb" when he sits on the bunch due to the severed nerves in his back and you have an unmitigated health disaster. The amazing thing to think is that if his name wasn't Dwight Howard, he would be having an excellent season statistically.

Steve Nash suffered a broken fibia in the second game of the season when he wasn't in game shape to begin the season anyway. Nerve irritation in his knee compounded the problem. Rather than becoming a focal point in the offense right away, Nash faded away and has been mostly been an afterthought on this team. I don't know what strengths he offers to this team because he certainly isn't running the open court in the "wide open D'Antoni system". His assist numbers are down slightly. His numbers are still decent. He is still completely useless defensively.

Bench players on this Los Angeles Lakers squad include players you haven't heard of such as Earl Clark, Jodie Meeks, Robert Sacre, Devin Ebanks and Chris Duhon. With Nash and backup Steve Blake out earlier this year, the Lakers were running out there for an extended period with Chris Duhon starting at the point and he is shooting less than 38% from the field this year.

They haven't been healthy, well coached, mentally focused on the defensive end or unified.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Jay Williams sob story. Ugh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sports/basketball/a-leg-rebuilt-a-life-renewed-for-jay-williams.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 am

All-Star Weekend seemed like an eternity and it's great to have real basketball like Suns v Blazers to watch

I'm kidding this game is sloppy as fuck
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 am

Suns played don't-lose-the-lead basketball for the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter, almost gave the game away a handful of times and still won because the Blazers fouled Goran Dragic instead of literally-anyone-else inside ten seconds
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:38 am

jasperness wrote:All-Star Weekend seemed like an eternity
    Yeah, I'm kind of over all-star weekend. Saturday night is fun, but I always have plans, and the all-star game itself is a meaningless alley-oop fest.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Saturday night used to be fun but now theres too much bullshit -- are they still doing the men's & women's 2-on-2? -- and the wait between them is too long.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Granger comin back tonight. Woot
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Do the Bulls have what it takes to be competitive against good teams?
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 pm

They might have a few months ago, but as usual, they're running out of gas as the playoffs approach. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they escape the first round.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 am

Bulls let fucking Cleveland of all teams crack 100 in Chicago tonight. Defense was the only thing I remained hopeful about, and even that is falling apart. wp64, get the gurney!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 am

Yeah, this is getting pretty tough to watch. As a fan, should I be pissed about the Rose situation? I just don't like the completely open-ended timetable and ambiguous hints towards his eventual return. Obviously, I don't want him to come back until he is 100% ready and confident. And maybe the eagerness of the fans is what keeps creating these false, premature timetables to begin with.

I don't know. This is all been made even worse by the 12 game win streak that Miami is on. Fuck.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 pm

I just assume a competitor as fierce as Rose will come back the second he's ready, doomed season or not. Guy plays like his life depends on it, which is how he tore the ACL to begin with. Hopefully he's just as fired up to return.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Fuck. The Heat are going to run away with the East. The Bulls are plagued by injuries, overworked, and even if Rose comes back at this point he is not going to be the explosive player that we would need him to be in the playoffs.

The Knicks blow. And that last quarter of Pacers basketball (without any Bulls starters on the court) was an embarrassing performance. They can't ever play like that if they expect to win the East this year. Hopefully OKC or San Antonio can get it done in the Finals. I don't think I can stomach another LeBron ring.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 pm

wp64 wrote:Fuck. The Heat are going to run away with the East. The Bulls are plagued by injuries, overworked, and even if Rose comes back at this point he is not going to be the explosive player that we would need him to be in the playoffs.

The Knicks blow.

duh Very Happy

wp64 wrote:I don't think I can stomach another LeBron ring.

why not?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:35 am

jasperness wrote:
    wp64 wrote:I don't think I can stomach another LeBron ring.
    why not?
    You can't possibly think I can give this a dignified response, right?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:14 pm

I think the only undignified thing is not giving respect to the game's best player and ambassador

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 am