Ned Braden
chrondog
yancy
ClosetOfExhaustion
12 posters

Hoop It Up

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Hoop It Up - Page 6 Empty Re: Hoop It Up

Post by yancy Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Nah, fuck that guy. I don't think he's necessarily the best ambassador anyway.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm

yancy wrote:Nah, fuck that guy. I don't think he's necessarily the best ambassador anyway.
    Hoop It Up - Page 6 01rodman-articleLarge
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 987
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 pm

yancy wrote:Nah, fuck that guy. I don't think he's necessarily the best ambassador anyway.
    Hoop It Up - Page 6 Shaq
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:16 pm

I think a once-in-a-generation superstar and champion is the game's best ambassador over a television personality. That's my view.

He is by far the most fun player for me to watch and I think people that conjure up some silly emotional dislike of him are just missing out on the most exciting thing in basketball and that's stupid.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 pm

jasperness wrote:conjure up some silly emotional (dis)like

[Ed. note: parentheses mine]
    Isn't this sports fandom in a nutshell? I'm totally okay with irrationality here.

Of course he's exciting to watch, I just don't want him to win.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 am

yancy wrote:Isn't this sports fandom in a nutshell?

no, this is antiquated notion of what fandom means in the 20th century that arises out of the tribal/regional origins of most major sporting leagues.

i don't subscribe to the notion that sports should be felt through the prism of gut reactions to overhyped media narrative. in the age where games, players and organizations are more accessible than ever there is no reason to stop at convenient emotional narratives like "he's on a rival team and i hate him" or "i hate this player because he's a pretty boy".

you can feel how ever you want about the personalities involved, of course. i just think that people who say things like "i couldn't stomach seeing him win another title" are using sports interchangeably as time-consuming psychodrama and not as interested in the specific mechanics of the game. a little like what we've talked about with Damo in regards to casual v. hardcore gamers.

if you want to color your ability to enjoy a particular game of basketball by being upset when an amazing player makes a fantastic move and scores, go ahead. this doesn't obviously mean that i don't have a lot of biases or emotions wrapped up in my enjoyment of the games or that i don't pay attention to stuff outside the games. i love the outside stuff. i just make a concerted effort to appreciate good play, well coached teams, and smartly managed franchises in addition to and sometimes more than my "favorites".
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 am

how and why people enjoy sports is a really interesting question to me just like how and why people listen to music is an interesting question to me. we can't really debate or come to an understanding with someone else unless we understand their perspective and what their values are.

i don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the "traditional" model of sports fandom, i would just like to suggest that there are others.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 am

jasperness wrote:how and why people enjoy sports is a really interesting question to me
    That makes one of us.

jasperness wrote:we can't really debate or come to an understanding with someone else unless we understand their perspective and what their values are.
    My perspective is "fuck that guy." eh
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 am

Not my neg, fwiw.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1132

Post by undo Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 am

a great win was definitely within our reach tonight
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 am

So, this happened tonight.

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Pretty damn fine read, right here. Phil Jackson's four-part series on the '97-'98 Bulls season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Mag15lastrunningofthebullspart1/chicago-bulls-coach-phil-jackson-recounts-historic-1998-season-part-1-espn-magazine-archive

Phil Jackson wrote:Right now, I'm sitting here getting ready to splice together the video I always make before we play our first playoff foe. The shortest one I've ever made was an hour, so they're pretty substantial. I use footage of our opponents, and I sprinkle in messages from other films. This year, I've got Higher Learning, directed by John Singleton with Laurence Fishburne; Mother, Jugs & Speed, with Raquel Welch, Harvey Keitel and Bill Cosby playing ambulance chasers; and Squibnocket, a James Taylor concert recorded in his barn on Martha's Vineyard. Should be a good one.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Love that quote. In case there was any lingering doubt about Phil Jackson being the GOAT.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

hoping the bulls don't slip to 7th where they'd get knocked out by indiana in the first round. i don't want to have to watch that series w/ all of you wonderful bulls fans getting kicked in the teeth by my team.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 pm

If last night was any indication, the first round will be ugly for the Bulls regardless. But yeah, Indiana would rip them a new one.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 pm

http://nba.com/stats is a huge wormhole into the world of the realness

this is a list of the most free throws made in the last 5 minutes of games this season:

Hoop It Up - Page 6 Freeth10

#clutch
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

dubstep
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 am

pizza
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 am

Hoop It Up - Page 6 Derrick-rose-dunk
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:44 am

I have a hunch that on Thursday we are going to see that guy return to the court. Its starting to look like he is ready to go based upon Stacey King's comments after seeing him in practice.

He said he looked "explosive." imlikewhoa
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 am

I wish that he'd have come back today. Friday, pizza, D-Rose...is there anything else?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:46 am

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Been watching a shit load of NCAA Men's Basketball this week with the roommate. I'm excited for the tournament to start up. I'm working on organizing a pool in the dorm where we can all throw down like $5 and sit around in various dorm rooms for the next few weeks, drinking shit beer, watching basketball, and having a good ass time.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

wp64 wrote:I have a hunch that on Thursday we are going to see that guy return to the court.

Care to elaborate?

I got tickets to Thursday's game. Basketball
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Not much behind it really. Just being hopeful. And the fact that Thibs actually took the time to rule out D. Rose against Golden State seems to suggest that his return is immanent. You'd have to assume they would bring him back for a home game too. So there is that.

Also, trying to figure out what to do with my NCAA bracket is excruciating. I am betting with my roommate. Loser has to make all the beer runs for the rest of the year. Which will come in handy because I am going to be slamming them hard once the Bulls and Hawks both get into their playoff form!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am