Ned Braden
chrondog
yancy
ClosetOfExhaustion
12 posters

Hoop It Up

yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

Hoop It Up - Page 17 Empty Re: Hoop It Up

Post by yancy Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Also, is Chris Anderson the second most important Miami player right now? Probably not, but I'm not crazy to consider it, am I?
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm

basketball is still going on?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 pm

yancy wrote:I don't bet sports, but if I did I'd put $100 on the Spurs to sweep, getting 18 to 1. These are the finals that should've happened last year, and I think Miami is drawing dead. Unfortunately I'm wrong about everything.

i think people tend to emphasize the last series they saw too much when evaluating the next one. Spurs looked fantastic against the Grizz and Heat looked well matched by Indiana but those are isolated series and matchups. there's no chance of a sweep.

i like Miami in 6
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm

yancy wrote:Also, is Chris Anderson the second most important Miami player right now? Probably not, but I'm not crazy to consider it, am I?

gotta be Bosh for me. Miami's advantages are really slim if he's not clicking.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 pm

I just assumed Bosh (and of course the increasingly irrelevant Wade) won't be clicking, which is why I think Miami's success hinges on an effective birdman. Probably a silly assumption in Bosh's case. Of course LeBron will be incredible almost all of the time. But there was a lot of truth to his Cleveland comment.

Battier could be huge now that Spoelstra can actually put him on the court, unless there's another terrible defensive matchup for him in San Antonio. I almost feel like Miami is going to live & die by its three-point shooting, which is never a spot you want to be in. One huge superstar plus a stable of jump shooters failed miserably for Orlando in the '09 finals.

Last edited by yancy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:02 pm

jasperness wrote:there's no chance of a sweep.

i like Miami in 6
    I agree there's no chance Miami could sweep. Pop & the gang are too consistently solid to get run over by one superstar. Spurs will grind out at least one win even in the worst case scenario. But I do think there's a chance San Antonio could put Miami on its heels early and they never recover. LeBron seems to have lost his sulking quitter side after winning a ring, but Miami does not play as well from behind.

Of course most of this is wishful, glass half full thinking from a Heat hater.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:39 pm

yancy wrote:I just assumed Bosh (and of course the increasingly irrelevant Wade) won't be clicking
    That's the last time I give those two clowns any bulletin board material. ballin
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 pm

This game is streaming on ESPN3 so I am tuned in right now. First minutes of basketball I have watched since the Bulls got knocked out...
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 am

TONY MOTHERFUCKING PARKER
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 am

yancy wrote:I don't bet sports, but if I did I'd put $100 on the Spurs to sweep, getting 18 to 1.
    One down.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am

Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Man, I love Dennis Rodman. Every headline with his name in it is guaranteed to bring it.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Chrono, are you still thinking the Heat in 6? Or did last night's game change anything? I'm rooting hard for the Spurs, but I still stand by Miami in either 5 or, as now seems more likely, 6.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 am

Ha-rumpf.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

There goes $100 L0PP dollars. juggalo
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 pm

So guys Heat in 6??

still think the Spurs are definitely good enough to win the series. just depends how things break along the margins.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Spurs in six!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 am

I enjoyed this blowout much more than Sunday's blowout. Play it loud, mutha
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm

all the injuries in these playoffs to big names and in sports in general over the past year has me convinced that the speed and physicality of these modern games is unsustainable given that frailties of human knee ligaments and leg muscles.

if Russell Westbrook dudes are gonna zig-zag around the court for 40 minutes a night for 100 games a year and dudes like Old Man Parker are gonna pull their hamstrings chasing Norris Cole around the court we might not have any stars left in a few years.
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    ClosetOfExhaustion
    Have You Heard?

Pizzas : 275
    Dispositiondisposed

Post by ClosetOfExhaustion Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm

if that happens i have no idea where this takes us in the sporting world - at least if athletes change their decision & play-making to consciously avoid injuries.  i think what you're getting at is that they aren't, they just have no choice but to perform these feats and will all end up injured.  i started writing what's below before making that distinction. 

owners & league stewards will continually be pushing for more games, as they're seeking higher earnings. 

you'll have more derrick rose situations, athletes taking their sweet time returning from injury to maximize their earning potential. 

will more "highest tier potential" athletes be opting for the olympic model and Usain Bolt-like performance?  He only has to get himself in PEAK performance mode every 4 years, and the rest of the time can mostly set his own training schedule that allows him to perform at a high level, when he wants, without severe worry of injury.  The problem here is the risk of not achieving is high, and his model (along w Phelps) is difficult to achieve.  Bolt is obv an insanely charismatic person capable of capitalizing on his ridiculous talent w/ high value endorsement deals.  

at what point of talent/success is the great athlete more concerned about physical well-being than they are about money, or simply being great at what they're doing?
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm

yancy wrote:Spurs in six!
    Five?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Spurs team is looking incredible.

Looks like Bosh is proving to be one of the key player's for Miami (in a negative way). You see the different path the game goes down when Bosh establishes his rebounding and shot making early in game 2 versus disappearing in game 3 (I think he got up to 10 boards in garbage time).
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm

ClosetOfExhaustion wrote:if that happens i have no idea where this takes us in the sporting world - at least if athletes change their decision & play-making to consciously avoid injuries.  i think what you're getting at is that they aren't, they just have no choice but to perform these feats and will all end up injured.  i started writing what's below before making that distinction. 

owners & league stewards will continually be pushing for more games, as they're seeking higher earnings. 

you'll have more derrick rose situations, athletes taking their sweet time returning from injury to maximize their earning potential. 

will more "highest tier potential" athletes be opting for the olympic model and Usain Bolt-like performance?  He only has to get himself in PEAK performance mode every 4 years, and the rest of the time can mostly set his own training schedule that allows him to perform at a high level, when he wants, without severe worry of injury.  The problem here is the risk of not achieving is high, and his model (along w Phelps) is difficult to achieve.  Bolt is obv an insanely charismatic person capable of capitalizing on his ridiculous talent w/ high value endorsement deals.  

at what point of talent/success is the great athlete more concerned about physical well-being than they are about money, or simply being great at what they're doing?

i think players are taking it both ways. some players are like RGIII, who blew out his ACL for absolutely no reason when it was painfully obvious he was hurt. others will play their cards like Rose and take the short-term popularity nose-dive for their long term health. the average athlete is more like RGIII to me. many professional athletes come from tougher backgrounds and are willing to put more on the line in the hopes of helping their career, their family and their community, which to me makes it all the more exploitative and ugly.

i err on the side of health. i think players should be sitting, on average, for 20% longer than they are currently for an injury. i think stars should play less minutes and get more games against the Bobcats off. i think Tom Thibodeau is an example of what is wrong with the culture of the league.

the Olympic/tournament model is interesting but not really applicable to domestic leagues, which as you say, are all about maximizing the number of games played and therefore revenue.

that to me is where the issue crops up. there is a financial incentive for owners and coaches to run players in to the ground physically and no accountability when they are responsible for it. this has been an issue in sports since the dawn of time, but i believe it is more pronounced now because of the astronomical revenues associated with new cable television deals and the like that rely on the star power and marketability of players and franchises. as money in sports continues to become more about marketability, international appeal, jersey sales, etc. instead of ticket stubs from going to the area, the more weird market rationale begin to creep into the thinking of "well, do we let our star rest his knee another two weeks?"
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 pm

jasperness wrote:Spurs team is looking incredible.

Looks like Bosh is proving to be one of the key player's for Miami (in a negative way). You see the different path the game goes down when Bosh establishes his rebounding and shot making early in game 2 versus disappearing in game 3 (I think he got up to 10 boards in garbage time).

Yeah, I was stunned to see that he wound up with a double-double, last night.  As low-key as they get.
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:59 pm

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/52763976629/racist-basketball-fans-pissed-a-mexican-american-boy

disgustedatrightwing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am