zappo
C-poots
16 posters

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1137

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

Post by undo Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 pm

For the last two days I've listened to Avec Laudenum very quietly in the dark while having my morning coffee.

I should probably play it at a more perceptible volume to get more out of it but it's still a very nice experience.
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Selected Ambient Works, a Thread

Post by _ Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 pm

this is really incredible
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Pizzas : 870

Post by zappo Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Hell yeah. Finally saw them live, earlier this year. It was very spiritual and shit.
    _
    _
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 60

Post by _ Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 pm

at Constellation? yeah i wish i was more willing to do shit on weekdays, regret missing that
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Yeah, but don't worry. They'll be back.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 pm

C-poots wrote:Eluvium - Lambent Material & Talk Amongst the Trees: Both enjoyable distorted tonal albums. He has some good stuff on later releases too but none that play through front to back as well as these IMO

this dude's music is very good, but not transcendent. seems like i'll have to pick out some favorite tracks.

C-poots wrote:Fennesz - Venice: While I think Endless Summer is a better album, Venice is more 'ambient' and plays really nicely when falling to sleep, sans that one track where there is singing which has actually woken me up multiple times.

that singing is such a betrayal. annoying as hell. lots of Venice is the epitome of deep listening though.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

undo wrote: I enjoy Stars of the Lid a lot, too. Does anyone with an opinion actually dislike them? 

Great question. The answer is no.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Lisbon is one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard and I think you should bump it towards the top of your queue
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Selected Ambient Works, a Thread - Page 2 Bingandruth-homeofthemind

this is a pretty tight album of soft, repetitive piano landscapes

Bing & Ruth - No Home of the Mind
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Still loving ambient after all these years, I’ll post more when I get the time

Got a crate load of windham Hill vinyl recently and have been digging that, guess it’s new age though: William ackerman, Paul horn, Alex degrassi. It’s nice to spin it on record and can’t wait til my fireplace is restored to get “deep”
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 pm

This was in my disc changer when I moved to my new home. I had it for years but never clicked til now. I love it and have been listening to it quite a bit lately

I felt the ebow guitar was a bit amateurish and detracting from Harold budds mellow mood, but now I find it charming and beautiful.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 pm

chrondog wrote:
    Bing & Ruth - No Home of the Mind

yeah, this record is gorgeous. all the bing & ruth stuff is great.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm

chrondog wrote:i saw a little bit of a set from these dudes last night https://goldenretriever.bandcamp.com/

they were running a saxophone through some crazy pedals, it sounded awesome.
    I got called off from work this morning so I'm just sipping coffee and sinking into their new album, it's really wonderful so far.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 pm

i don't know what the fuck this is, but Spotify keeps putting it in my ears: http://3six.net/track/orphans-of-the-sky

it's pretty dang deep, even though i don't like the explicit "spaceiness" of it. it feels a little silly to say "this is music that explores what space might be like!". i enjoy it a lot nonetheless.

Soma wrote:Lisbon is one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard and I think you should bump it towards the top of your queue

i got some bomb head somewhere near the middle of this record. my date really enjoyed the record too. it has a nice narrative arc to it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 pm

really good also: http://shop.hammockmusic.com/album/mysterium

i gotta get back to the suggestions in this thread!
    zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Pitchfork claims that Music for Nine Post Cards is being reissued, this week. Crazy timing, as I've recently listened to this several times.

C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm

There is an ambient EP that I cannot recall the name of for the life of me, but I think the first track had the word 'October' in it, and it has an early Tim Hecker vibe. If someone can help me find this I will be quite grateful!
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Ok I don't know how that happened because I've been pondering this for like two weeks, but once I hit send I remembered.

zappo
    zappo
    Supermasculine Menial

Post by zappo Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm

I haven't listened to that in like ten years, but I really dug that record.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Same, I haven't heard it for a while but I always remembered the first track being super powerful. The way he/they push that sub bass in there just sounds soo nice
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm

http://www.20jazzfunkgreats.co.uk/wordpress/2011/03/20jfg-podcast-boxcutter/

This is one of my favorite mixes ever, the link still works and I think you should grab it.

Would highly recommend giving it the titular early morning spin it's asking for.
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 am

Some suggestions

Harold budd, most of his catalogue
    Steve roach structures from silence, mystic chords
    Sotl and related projects
    Most of windy and Carl stuff
    Laraaji essence universe
    Chihei hatakeyama grace
    Hiroshi yoshimura wave notation
    Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement ambient black magic
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am

C-poots wrote:Same, I haven't heard it for a while but I always remembered the first track being super powerful. The way he/they push that sub bass in there just sounds soo nice

I remember liking it but haven’t heard it in forever. Lots of stuff I listened to back on the old board incarnation is either missing or didn’t age well/my taste changed
    coyote
    coyote

Post by coyote Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am

C-poots wrote:

A favorite from one of their older albums, The Ballasted Orchestra.

I have this disc in my car and have that track on repeat last three days on my commute
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Post by C-poots Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:57 am

Avec posting about ambient shit and having the Avec Laudenum avatar (I think it was) was one of the reasons I signed up for the old SOMB.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am