Baseball

chrondog
    a stomach churning mess of bass

Pizzas : 193

Re: Baseball

Post by chrondog on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Nick wrote:Advanced metrics taking hold of MLB rather than PEDs are the reason people no longer give a shit about the sport and it is shrinking into irrelevancy..
    wank 

a slower game pace, mediocre television product and higher ticket prices might have more to do with baseballs oft-discussed "popularity problems".

as Raj said, to believe that baseballs' demographics (which are the oldest of any major American professional sport!) actually cares about advanced metrics is pretty wrong.

basketball is the sport that is going to be most swamped by debates over advanced stats for the next 10 years because the people that control basketball teams are young and care about stats and facts.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:57 pm

i've been seeing "Ichiro 4000" talk all week and couldn't put it together until how

what a joke, no media outlet can talk about actual baseball games anymore
    undo

Pizzas : 407

Post by undo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 pm

what do you mean?
    undo

Pizzas : 407

Post by undo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Been thinking about baseball a lot lately, realizing that I really don't care about it any more and wondering why that is, why it used to be one of my favorite things and what it is about the world and about myself that's caused me to feel that way about it.

On one hand I sometimes think it's amazing and then an hour later I couldn't give two shits about it at all, I don't know how to explain it.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 485

Post by zappo on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Game five, dudes. Pretty into it, over here.
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 338

Post by yancy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:18 pm

As a Missouri asshole, I'm way into it. At least one of my cousins is at the game. Go Cards!
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Idontgiveahootaboutw 
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Pizzas : 161

Post by raj gibson on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Jasper, you cool with Gray over Colon?
    yancy

Post by yancy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 am

yancy wrote:Let's see how well I do knowing nothing about baseball, just picking sentimental/irrational faves.

AL WEST: Astros (poker buddy works for them) - ugh
    AL CENTRAL: Tigers (for my Michigan friends) - DIVISION WINNER!
    AL EAST: Orioles (great logo!) - nope
    AL WILD CARD 1: White Sox (hate the Cubs, but feel the need to root for someone local) - nope
    AL WILD CARD 2: A's (big fan of green) - DIVISION WINNER!

NL WEST: Dodgers (saw a photo of Magic Johnson shaking a new player's hand, is he an owner?) - DIVISION WINNER!
    NL CENTRAL: St. Louis motherfucking Cardinals (childhood fave, also luckiest team on earth) - DIVISION WINNER!
    NL EAST: Nationals (poker bro is a big fan) - nope
    NL WILD CARD 1: Phillies (deep playoff run might prompt a TGDB appearance ITT) - nope
    NL WILD CARD 2: Brewers (huge soft spot for Wisconsin, awesome state) - nope
    Not too bad for effectively random picks.

Last edited by yancy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nick
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 598

Post by Nick on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:26 am

Wait, did you pick the Astros because Goldstein is now their head of scouting?
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 am

raj gibson wrote:Jasper, you cool with Gray over Colon?
    i buy the argument Melvin made that you've seen both of them pitch at home in this series and Gray had better results. plus you look at Colon's season numbers against Detroit and it suggests his stuff isn't too effective against their lineup. i think a little bit of Gray power over Colon finesse could work.

i was genuinely surprised at the lack of fanfare when Gray was initially called up this season because he was pretty much the most effective pitcher in the minors this year. chalk it up to traditional concerns over size and pedigree, i guess. he's been dishing for well over a year now.
    yancy

Post by yancy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Nick wrote:Wait, did you pick the Astros because Goldstein is now their head of scouting?
    Bros before Ws.
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:31 am

God damn, this is getting crazy. Grand slams, sick catches, no-hitters, mo'fuckers toppling over walls, my comically intense hatred of the Red Sox...something's gotta give!
    Nick

Post by Nick on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Kershaw not looking so Kershaw tonight. imlikewhoa 
    zappo
    FAKE NEWS

Post by zappo on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:57 am

Fuck this. Damn it.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

Pizzas : 41
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Shit dogs. Baseball is staring in a couple of weeks. I'm sort of excited since the Bulls season hasn't mattered, the Bears were the ultimate disappointment, and Inter Milan has scored a total of two goals since the start of 2014.

I'm going to be living within 10 minutes from Wrigley Field all summer and my dad is still a season ticket holder so I am probably going to spend a lot of time in the stadium. I actually think this could be sort of an exciting year. I have a lot of questions that need answering.

What is the deal with the fucking pitching staff? Jackson is turning out to be the worst free agency pickup in recent memory. Samardzjia sucks and isn't worth the $5mil we are paying him this year. Hopefully he can perform well in the first half and the Cubs can dump him for something of value. We now have Jason Hammels, what the fuck? People are excited about this Arrieta fellow. Hopefully Travis Wood can keep it up and the Cubs can start putting up some runs for him. I am hearing a lot about this Hendrick dude who went 13-4 with a 2.00 ERA in the minors last year. He will probably get called up towards the end of the season if Samardzjia and Hammels get dumped by the deadline.

Our bullpen sucked ballsack last year but at least we finally got rid of fucking Marmol. There was a lot of turnover this offseason and maybe they won't blow as many leads in the final few innings (they maxed out at 14 after the seventh inning last year).

The outfield has some promise. Schierholtz put up quality numbers. Junior Lake was exciting and could be a permanent starter in left. It will be interesting to see how he handles the 2014 season. Soler will probably take another year maybe two in the minors. Brett Jackson sucks and will never amount to anything. Watching him last year reminded me of Corey Patterson or Felix Pie.

The infield is the most exciting part. Castillo looks promising. Castro sucked and needs to rebound and Rizzo's batting average needs to improve. But with Baez, Alcantara, Bryant, and Olt all waiting in the wings there should be some interesting shit happening in that part of the diamond.

They definitely won't be winning a lot of games but at least this team is full of new faces and there will be some definite questions that get answered by the end of this. Plus they will probably end the year with a better record than the fucking White Sox.

Go Cubs.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Samardzjia is fantastic and I will continue defending him until I bring you and Nick to your motherfucking knees.

Cubbies will likely still be very bad this year from what i can tell. Schierholtz and Lake are passable players but neither has a lot of ceiling and Lake's advanced numbers from last year suggest his average could tank. I would roll the dice with Soler quicker than most, I think. I like Arrieta and Wood as back end rotation guys. Strop is also a very good reliever you got from the Orioles too.

If Rizzo takes a step forward and Castro rebounds the team could be respectable.
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 pm

jasperness wrote:Samardzjia is fantastic and I will continue defending him until I bring you and Nick to your motherfucking knees.
    This was a debatable topic in the first half of last year. His numbers were good and the only reason he didn't have an impressive win total was because the Cubs offense was atrocious. He tanked in the second half of last season and so did his projected ceiling. On a quality pitching staff he would have a hard time fighting his way into the fourth or fifth spot.

jasperness wrote:Schierholtz and Lake are passable players but neither has a lot of ceiling and Lake's advanced numbers from last year suggest his average could tank.
    Schierholtz was never projected to be a franchise player for the Cubs. Hoyer/Epstein picked him up to do the same thing that they did with Maholm and Feldman and are now trying to do with Hammels. He will most likely be dumped before the trade deadline. As for Lake, I think that you're right but I want to remain optimistic.

jasperness wrote:I would roll the dice with Soler quicker than most, I think.
    This definitely won't happen. He is young and has signed to a nine-year, $50mil contract. Plus he didn't get as much playing time in the minors last year because of a stress fracture or something. They are being appropriately conservative with all of their prospects and you probably won't see Soler get activated until mid-2015 or Opening Day 2016.

jasperness wrote:I like Arrieta and Wood as back end rotation guys. Strop is also a very good reliever you got from the Orioles too.
    Wood's numbers from last year make him the ace of the pitching rotation. I think Wood could end up being a quality 3rd/4th option in a playoff challenging rotation. Arrieta still has a lot to prove. Same thing goes wth Strop. Should turn out to be a great trade though if either or both of those guys perform well.

jasperness wrote:If Rizzo takes a step forward and Castro rebounds the team could be respectable. Cubbies will likely still be very bad this year from what i can tell.
    Even if Rizzo gets his average up and Castro gets temporarily comfortable in the leadoff spot this team is still going to suck. I can't even imagine them winning 75 games and depending on what happens at the trade deadline they could labor around 60-65 wins. That doesn't really matter though.

Both Rizzo and Castro are signed to sizable, seven-year deals. I'm not really that worried about Rizzo yet and think he will continue to grow into his future role. Castro is beyond discouraging though and with Baez chomping at the bit there has to be some question as to what his future in the organization will be. Almora is going to be the future leadoff hitter (so that takes away his supposed importance in the lineup) and Baez is projected to be a 30 to 40 homerun and 100 RBI type player. If Castro rebounds in the first half of the season and Baez and Almora remain on schedule in the minors there could be some serious trade talk circulating.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:43 am

OMG I can't believe you are still sticking up for Samardjiza. I thought last season put that argument to bed.

He's a mediocre pitcher and only gets any type of exposure in Chicago because that rotation is horrible and he went to ND. Otherwise, this guy would have been shipped out of town.

The Cubs have some highly rated prospects but even the guys at BP have cooled on their system after pulling every superlative they could last year. I think it is still a top 5 system but this is the Cubs. And they'll never win a World Series.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:56 pm

wp64 wrote:On a quality pitching staff he would have a hard time fighting his way into the fourth or fifth spot.

I disagree and think he will perform better than that again this season
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Post by raj gibson on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I get that fans would be disappointed by him and he certainly tanked some games late in the year, but the idea that he's mediocre or would have a hard time making a rotation are pretty obviously hyperbole and/or ignorance of how baseball works.

Lucky for Cubs fans that Epstein and Hoyer won't panic and dump him for pennies on the dollar. Wouldn't have been surprising during the Hendry regime.
    chrondog

Post by chrondog on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm

raj bigson wrote:or ignorance of how baseball works

which is most people

turns out its hard to pitch like Felix Hernandez
    Ҩ
    Fuckin Thot

DispositionIntransigent

Post by Ҩ on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:13 pm

He consistently gives up either a boatload of runs in the first inning or the last inning of his outing. That makes for a pretty consistently discouraging performance. He has the occasional outing where he can go deep into a game and be lights out the entire time, no doubt.

He didn't perform well last year. That is analytically irrefutable.
    raj gibson
    Radical Bitch

Post by raj gibson on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 pm

wp64 wrote:He consistently gives up either a boatload of runs in the first inning
    Looks like his first innings were pretty similar to his overall performance

or the last inning of his outing.
    This doesn't mean anything. Every pitcher will tend to give up more runs in the last inning of his outing because yielding the runs is what gets him pulled from the game in the first place.

He didn't perform well last year. That is analytically irrefutable.
    It's a bad idea to claim that something is "analytically irrefutable" in the best of cases. But just looking at the numbers seems to refute it pretty easily. Samardzija was OK to pretty good, depending on if you are more of a strict runs-allowed or fielding-independent person. Given his age, repertoire, velocity, and other peripherals, most teams would be happy to have him, and he would not have any trouble cracking a rotation in all but a few clubs in MLB.
    Nick

Post by Nick on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 pm

I really don't think anyone was knocking down Samardjiza's door hoping to sign him if the Cubs did not. You can analyze all the stats you want but the guy is a mediocre pitcher at best. He'll probably have the exact same season or slightly worse in 2014 as in '13.

They'll ship him in the off season if not before the deadline and you'll never hear from him again except when he's getting tagged during MLB Network highlights.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 am