2018 Musical Recordings

Nick
    Got some shit to do

Pizzas : 716

Re: 2018 Musical Recordings

Post by Nick on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to Thee Oh Sees but I’m enjoying their new album. It’s the only thing keeping me from falling asleep at my desk on this rainy day.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 635

Post by zappo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Good band, imho!
    BGwaves
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 62
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Did you get to the song with male/female vocals that crescendos with a 'yeah!' And then rolls into the bridge or chorus? That's my favorite song of theirs.

Also, you should listen to the WTF?! Episode with John Dwyer (singer) it's a good one. Lotta talk about growing up in the 90s.
    Nick
    Got some shit to do

Post by Nick on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:40 pm

I could only make it through 4 songs on Castlemania before needing to step away from that. But I’m liking Orc a fair amount. So, is there a transition where they go from sounding like a not serious band to this more robust version I’m hearing on the 2 latest albums?
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Castlemania is kind of an outlier, but they've definitely gotten a lot beefier than that record or any of their others, in recent years.

Last edited by zappo on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tjenz
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 74

Post by tjenz on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am

I've been playing the Idles new album non-stop, since it came out last week.  They remind me a little of The Hives & The Stooges.

Post by Nick on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:48 pm

zappo wrote:Castlemania is kind of an outlier, but they've definitely gotten a lot beefier than that record or any of their others, in recent years.

Buddy this is a very accurate post. I’ve been working my way backwards in their discography & want to inject this shit into my veins.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm

They don't do all that much, I guess, but who cares when they do what they do so fucking well? Good stuff.
    Ted Falconi
    Ex flatmate

Pizzas : 296

Post by Ted Falconi on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Nick wrote:I could only make it through 4 songs on Castlemania before needing to step away from that. But I’m liking Orc a fair amount. So, is there a transition where they go from sounding like a not serious band to this more robust version I’m hearing on the 2 latest albums?

I've heard about half of their albums, own 5 or 6 of them, and Castlemania is far and a way the worst / only 'bad' one I've heard. The worst part of it is that it's one of their best album covers.

My favorites are

A Weird Exits
    The Master's Bedroom...
    Warm Slime
    Orc
    Drop

I've played the new one a few times, and it's up there too. I think they're on a roll. I missed a few before A Weird Exits when they were putting them out so fast and it was hard to keep up. Now they're doing 1 or 2 per year and the last 5 or 6 have all been good and different enough that it's not like just more and more of the same thing over and over.
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:20 pm

I like em too, I was just kidding above. Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, and King Gizzard all have the same ‘thing’ in a way. All three bands make really great psych rock that is fairly unoriginal but like what Zappo said they do it so well you kinda forgive them for copying. No point making anymore recs that’s been covered.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Castlemania is, by far, my favorite Thee Oh Sees record. lol!
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 pm

I think I'm going to see them at Thalia Hall, in a few weeks. Haven't seen them in like nine years.
    WP64
    the golden age of crackers

Pizzas : 61
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:02 pm

I listened to a ton of Thee Oh Sees records and I saw them several time in Logan Square when I was living in Chicago. Their concerts are a ton of fun and their music is super enjoyable, but it has been really easy for me to totally forget about them as a band over the last few years. I had no idea they were still releasing records and had remained relevant over the last three years or so.

I'll probably listen to some of their new records over this weekend and end up liking all of them without any of them leaving a strong impression on me, which isn't a criticism and seems to be how everyone else here feels about this band more or less.
    WP64

Pizzas : 61
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Sort of surprised that Nick had never listened to any of their records beyond Castlemania. I remember finding out about them through some Paves blogspot thing like seven years ago.
    Nick
    Got some shit to do

Post by Nick on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:12 pm

WP64 wrote:Sort of surprised that Nick had never listened to any of their records beyond Castlemania. I remember finding out about them through some Paves blogspot thing like seven years ago.

It is incredible that I’ve consumed every piece of music by every musician in the history of the world but Oh Sees were the one and only I missed.
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:45 am

C-poots wrote:Really love about half of the new Mitski, the other half is pretty good which rounds out to a really good album I like it!

I was not expecting to like this but I do. On drives I’d heard Nobody but I was sorta unimpressed with it as a single. The album, however, is pretty diverse musically. Some songs have an 80s neon rock vibe others have a folk pop thing but throughout the songs are short and tight. I don’t think any track went over 4 mins. Her voice is familiar but the way she sings some of the melodies and the song writing give her a unique sound. Her voice does sound like someone familiar but I can’t place it right now. Worth a listen
    vIv
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.forumotion.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 72

Post by vIv on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm

vIv wrote:This new YOB album... mang

Should be higher, IMO.

If you haven't read it, his essay on the experience of almost dying during surgery for acute diverticulitis is a must read.

So much love and pain and yearning and hope and catharsis in this record. You can literally hear how grateful he is to be alive and to be able to create again.
    Soma
    Ugly Virgin

Pizzas : 301

Post by Soma on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am

Yes, yes, yes! Rainbow Edition and Wahalla were great and all, but I'm so glad he's back to my favourite Mode of Dean. A whole album in this vein please
    Nick
    Got some shit to do

Post by Nick on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Anyone that enjoys long metal compositions that shift from punishing, abrasive and gorgeous throughout the 15-20 minute duration should listen to the new Sumac album.

Reminds me of the best parts of ISIS and Swans while still being something unique.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Marshall Stacks wrote:OUT NOW! On Coolatta Lounge Records…. "Sublingual Paratha Mediations" -- the latest offering from the mysterious Coolatta Lounge recording artist snXXXis … a concept album fusing the twin landscapes of the human digestive tract and the Mojave Desert … inspired by deep appreciation of the flatbread “PARATHA” (or “CHAPATI”) introduced to me by legendary Chicago restaurant Ghareeb Nawaz … buy it on CD here coolattalounge.com or stream here https://soundcloud.com/snxxxis/sets/sublingual-paratha-mediations … Big thank you to Jack Cee for his mastering work on this one … let the spice flow freely…
    undo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 605

Post by undo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:21 pm

There is no good reason this should be stuck in my head today.
    undo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 605

Post by undo on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:04 am

undo wrote:There is no good reason this should be stuck in my head today.

I got over this feeling minutes later.
    Duff...

Pizzas : 470
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 am

Feel like I'm trying to listen to Nicki Minaj rap over a some distortiony noise while someone keeps changing the radio to The Mix FM.
    Duff...

Pizzas : 470
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 am

Warning to the bros out there: Press play and you'll get clips from that last Rocky movie not Nicki Minaj in pink undergarments.
    Ned Braden
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 626
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 am

zappo wrote:
    Marshall Stacks wrote:OUT NOW! On Coolatta Lounge Records…. "Sublingual Paratha Mediations" -- the latest offering from the mysterious Coolatta Lounge recording artist snXXXis … a concept album fusing the twin landscapes of the human digestive tract and the Mojave Desert … inspired by deep appreciation of the flatbread “PARATHA” (or “CHAPATI”) introduced to me by legendary Chicago restaurant Ghareeb Nawaz … buy it on CD here coolattalounge.com or stream here https://soundcloud.com/snxxxis/sets/sublingual-paratha-mediations … Big thank you to Jack Cee for his mastering work on this one … let the spice flow freely…

"Sublingual Paratha Mediations" is the latest offering from the mysterious Coolatta Lounge recording artist snXXXis … a concept album fusing the twin landscapes of the human digestive tract and the Mojave Desert … inspired by deep appreciation of the flatbread “PARATHA” (or “CHAPATI”) introduced to me by legendary Chicago restaurant Ghareeb Nawaz … "Sublingual Paratha Mediations" is a concept album about simulating the experience of being a paratha as it gets eaten, as it fuses with the cells in your body … trying to determine where the paratha ends and where you begin. Searching for the boundary between the two but realizing there is none.

“As you melt into the paratha, so too does the paratha melt into you…”

NP:   "sex loss annihilator 35mg."

Even when I'm not feeling it sonically, this guy's song titles and written descriptions leave me wanting more.
    This might be the first 2018 musical recording I've heard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:10 pm