albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time

raj gibson
    Sleep Rapist

Pizzas : 178

Re: albums of note that I'm hearing for the first time

Post by raj gibson on Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm

sorry I'm sticking with my headcannon of yeahduff as merciless guardian of the integrity of SOMB rankings of yore
    Duff...
    An American Gashhound in Lincoln

Pizzas : 470
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Tue May 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Eh, it's an identity.
    raj gibson
    Sleep Rapist

Pizzas : 178

Post by raj gibson on Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am

"A lifetime ago, I too sought a #1 overall album blurb. I even received one in my PMs. But it cast me out, banished me here, guiding others to a treasure I can not possess."
    undo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 606

Post by undo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 pm

This is albums of note I'm hearing for the first time, not albums of note that I've given a generous ten listens to and done the legwork to try to better understand the history and context of before commenting on. So I don't have a lot to say about this one. But that's okay because maybe you will.

I expected this would be the blueprint for Primal Scream's "Accelerator" but nothing on this set my ass on fire anywhere close to how that song did and still does every time I heard it. This album does surprise with the original "rama-lama-lama, fa-fa-fa" chorus for "Don't Fight It, Feel It." Some of this sounds like Sonic Youth (I feel like there was a moment where I thought something sounded just like "Silver Rocket" or the next-to-last song on Daydream Nation, can't possibly remember what song it was, though. If I'd heard this 20 years ago, I think it really could have been my gateway into classic rock.

I'd really rather listen to any of The Stooges' albums instead of this. You know, I would probably rather listen to Jimi Hendrix than this.

So far I'm just naming off other bands and not saying anything about the music here are all. I listened to this twice over the last 2 days. I guess very little of it really stuck with me!

This is one of those albums and one of those bands that I just never bothered to check out, so instead I just let years of boarding and the mystique around this album turn it into something it could never live up to. And that's not fair at all. There was a time when I would buy a CD and take it home and read the liner notes and try to get a whole feeling for it and what it was all about. There's definitely some liner notes to read for this one that really promise to enlighten me but I can't be bothered to even take them out of the case and unfold them, let alone actually read them!

Do you like this? What does this album mean to you?
    Soma
    Ugly Virgin

Pizzas : 301

Post by Soma on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 am

Never heard it. Mostly seen it discussed as a classic album that everyone thinks is shitty and overrated but man I wonder what it actually sounds like (investigating)
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 634

Post by zappo on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I think it's a good record with good jams. Listened to it a bunch of times, last spring, for the first time in a while. Held up well. Some of their singles and studio records are surprisingly solid, too, to my ears.
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Feel mostly the way Undo does. Picked it up at Reckless a few years ago in the $1 bin along with Liz Phair's Whip Smart, which I listen to way more often.
    BGwaves
    Vanity-published Eco-horror Fiction Writer

Pizzas : 62
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm

If the Stooges led to punk then the MC5 led to Hardcore.

undo

Post by undo on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm

I think there was something from this on the seminal two-disc DJ DEE mix that I got in 2004. Obviously I wasn't ready for it back then.

Every song on this is great. No filler at all, it's really as good as 36 Chambers or Illmatic but this isn't a contest so I'll leave it at that.

I've listened to this more than all the other albums I've posted about in this thread put together but you're better off not reading any kind of review that I could try to write about it. I will say that they don't make 'em like this anymore!
    Nick
    Got some shit to do

Pizzas : 716

Post by Nick on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:31 pm

I think that is the greatest rap album ever.
    chrondog
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 267

Post by chrondog on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pm

incredible opinions itt! when Prodigy died last year i started investigating Mobb Deep more beyond "Shook Ones Pt. II" and was richly rewarded.

if you tried to make a list of the great hip hop albums that came out from 92-95 it would probably be hundreds of LPs long.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm

I've never heard that album. Embarassed
    coyote
    Right Wing Savage

Pizzas : 55

Post by coyote on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:30 pm

All I know about Mobb Deep is that in 2pacs “hit em up” he says “don’t one of y’all motherfuckers have sickle cell or something”

Never listened to mobb deep after hearing that diss. Been way big on Pac and Bone lately
    coyote
    Right Wing Savage

Post by coyote on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 pm

I love that mc5 record so much but could see how it could be grating or obnoxious or even a failure in some listeners ears. To me it has so much vicious energy like it’s a mainline of rock and roll, bordering on white noise. Like a rock band that’s so far on the edge they are going to collapse into oblivion at any moment. It comforts me that people were out there rocking that hard at some moment in time.
    chrondog
    FAKE NEWS

Pizzas : 267

Post by chrondog on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:47 pm

zappo wrote:I've never heard that album.  Embarassed

here ya go! that's what this thread is for

the beats up on this album are unbelievable

coyote wrote:All I know about Mobb Deep is that in 2pacs “hit em up” he says “don’t one of y’all motherfuckers have sickle cell or something”

that's Prodigy and it ended up killing him more or less: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/mobb-deep-rapper-prodigy-died-accidental-choking-article-1.3382073
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:03 am

I have no explanation for why Mob Deep never landed on my radar in the 90's.
    Nick
    Got some shit to do

Pizzas : 716

Post by Nick on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:00 am

I wish I still had all my mixtapes from the mid-90s that were all rap music I’d hear from watching BET. I spent a lot of time watching that channel which I get is weird (maybe) considering I was a white kid growing up in an affluent suburb.

But I fucking loved that music throughout the entire decade.

I remember riding in a friend’s Ford Explorer with like 7 people crammed in there one summer night & they were all singing really loud to The Steve Miller Band. I wasn’t singing along & someone said, “Nick doesn’t like this music. Should we put on some Snoop Doggie Dog?” in a condescending manner.

I thought to myself, “These aren’t really your friends.” I was probably 16 at the time.
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:45 am

I find myself drifting away from rap as I get older. I still like some of the beats but I find the personalities to be less interesting as I age. I think Gucci Mane may have been the last rapper that I tried to follow around 2010. Whenever Lemonade came out.
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:43 am

I think the golden age mentality comes from the idea that in the 80s and 90s rap was fresh and dangerous like rock in the 50s and maybe punk in the 70s. Im not implying that new rap doesn’t have good qualities but I believe the cultural nostalgia for that time comes from that new/dangerous feel the music had back then. I think younger kids can tap into that feeling cause it is fresh for their virgin ears.

My son heard Shook Ones on NBA 2k18 and it became his favorite rap song last fall for a few months. They give you the option to choose what songs play in different settings and he chose Shook Ones as his opening song and warm up music before the game. His favorite part of the song? “I like the way the piano sounds like it’s going backwards.”
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Nick wrote:I spent a lot of time watching that channel which I get is weird (maybe).

Nah.

Didn't know it was basically a music channel till I got to college or I'd've done the same. Though maybe that means it's weird.
    WP64
    the golden age of crackers

DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 am

undo wrote:I have nothing new to say about "Running Up That Hill" but who does?

I stumbled across this video yesterday. I've been flirting with the idea of getting into Kate Bush's music but I never really made a concerted effort and it never really clicked with me on first, cursory listen. For some reason, this hooked me. I've been listening to The Warning all day and loving it!

Now if I could only figure out what everyone is talking about with these Scott Walker albums... Someday I guess.
    undo

Post by undo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:26 pm

The debut album by Captain Beefheart. Also the first time I've listened to Captain Beefheart! Much of this annoyed me, it's very creative but I think I missed the boat here. Appreciation of innovation like this used to spontaneously invoke enjoyment in me but that's not really the case anymore. I guess I'm curious to know if these beginnings ever lead to anything else I'd enjoy/look forward to listening to/willfully spend money on but I don't know if I'm going to explore any further than this. I've known about this artist for more than half of my life but waited until this week to finally check him out. I guess I kind of expected him to sound like this (I have no idea why), but maybe I was hoping for more?  Something else?  I really don't know. Maybe my brain just objects to any music that's not aural wallpaper. I don't think that's literally the case but this is proof that I've got my preferences and they're going to dictate what I really feel much more than my desire to be some kind of ideal musical omnivore (that I used to think of myself as and just assumed I would keep growing into, especially as I just keep losing interest in new music and continue to idealize the past) ever could.

I really like the opening song on this, but then again I have to wonder if I could do a whole album of this kind of thing. It did leave me hoping would be more Delta blues-style songs like this on here.

"Dropout Boogie" is fun, I guess.

"I'm Glad" is my favorite song on this album. I want more like this!

I also like some of the outtakes/bonus tracks that are just instrumental jamming, but by then I've been listening to this for almost an hour and I just need a break. Overall, I would rather be listening to Coolata Lounge podcasts than this.
    coyote
    Right Wing Savage

Post by coyote on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:38 pm

This is my favorite beefheart record bc it's so subdued. If this one is too much you'll def hate the rest of his stuff; it's off the wall
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Coolatta Lounge recording artist "Harshest Realm" recommended that I explore the recorded output of one William "Billy" Joel, a month or two ago. I did, and The Stranger is truly one of the best 75 or so LONG-PLAYER RECORD ALBUMS that I have ever heard. Singles and singles and singles and then elite-ass album cuts, too. A towering achievement, imhmfo. There's even a Japanese master which sounds unreal. Shit checks all the boxes.
    zappo
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by zappo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:58 pm

As for Beefheart, undo, I'd suggest the same thing I always do: make sure to give it (and Trout Mask, too, for sure) a few spins before making up your mind. You gotta let it breathe some. That doesn't mean you'll like or love it, of course, because who knows? Avec's right to warn you that shit gets far gnarlier, from here. But I, anyway, think that we sometimes need to live with something for more than 30-40 minutes to take full stock of it. Especially as we get older. And that goes for "easy" and "difficult" records alike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:54 pm