White SOX

Marty
    Complex Writer

Pizzas : -1
    DispositionBad Ass

White SOX

Post by Marty on Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 13:07

History: was once a huge fan as a kid and the 1990s through 2005 or so. I used to go to 35+ games a year. One day, I was in the bullpen bar and I gazed up through my beer goggles and saw the "intro". The "tradition"? I asked myself, "what is my tradition?" The answer was horseshit, and using the park as a place to get shit faced. Even a horrendous organization like the SOX get lucky every 100 years. 2005 was an over achievement: the stars just aligned behind an amazing run of starting pitching. It will be another 100 til that kind of luck strikes again. 3005!

White SOX aren't a real team. The White SOX are a minor league team that shares revenue with the MLB to stay solvent and wealthy. That's why you see 950 people in the seats. This current team will never be anything special. Look at the Yankees! Boston: back to the top after a rebuild, every time.

As an average SOX fan: 1. I haven't watched one minute of the SOX in 4 years running, and 2. I probably won't ever go to another game. Now, that's a fan base! Since the White SOX are a minor league organization playing on an MLB field, they play every night to an empty stadium. And, I don't want to hear "that doesn't matter", because it does: and, nobody on the team is going to care about winning until they have a fan base. I play a lot of gigs, and let me tell you: last Summer in front of 500 was a LOT better show than Q Bar in January in front of 30. Don't tell me for one minute those players play as hard as a team with an enthusiastic fan base.

That's my opinion. And, you know what? If they build that stadium in the S. Loop instead: it would be half full every game. Idiots.
    Ned Braden
    President Trump

Pizzas : 606
    DispositionRock Guitars

Re: White SOX

Post by Ned Braden on Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 18:34

Go Sox!
    tjenz
    Rockist

Pizzas : 68

Post by tjenz on Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 7:28

I was reading an article recently about how the Sox almost moved to Seattle, in the mid 70's.

Seattle buyer(s) were going to buy the Sox and move the whole organization and re-name the team. The other part of the deal, Charlie Finely, who owned the A's, was going to move the A's to Chicago and take over the White Sox name. The White Sox owner wanted too much $$ for Comiskey Park and that killed the deal.

Pizzas : 553

Post by undo on Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 21:43

Reinsdorf is trying his best here.
    Nick
    President Pence

Pizzas : 659

Post by Nick on Wed 25 Apr 2018 - 5:52

The Ringer had a good long read a few weeks ago on how loaded the Sox farm system is and the potential talent that could emerge. I don’t care enough to go find the link but search it out if you want to kill 15 minutes.
    zappo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 588

Post by zappo on Wed 25 Apr 2018 - 6:56

Yeah, they've definitely done an excellent job setting themselves up for the future. You never know how any of that will play out, of course, but it sure does look like a lot of help is on the way.
    raj gibson
    Knock-Off Jihadist

Pizzas : 172

Post by raj gibson on Thu 26 Apr 2018 - 19:06

The whole financial structure of the MLB strongly encourages hard tanking when not competing. I don't like it either but it's basically a league-wide problem, not something specific to the Sox. Other teams (Padres, Marlins, etc.) have recently or are currently doing exactly the same thing.

There are some special players on the current team / coming soon through the system, but it remains to be seen if management can surround them with other useful players and not screw it up like they did with the Sale/Quintana/Eaton window.
    Marty
    Complex Writer

DispositionBad Ass

Post by Marty on Fri 27 Apr 2018 - 9:39

Sports suck and are in a major decline.
    Marty
    Complex Writer

DispositionBad Ass

Post by Marty on Fri 27 Apr 2018 - 9:42

raj gibson wrote:There are some special players on the current team

I looked and didn't see much. Zero pitching, 1B who is slightly above average: who will be the best player on the team for the next few years. (and, we all know the SOX way is to glorify an above average player, and make him seem elite: AKA Konerko)

Who do you think is special?
    tjenz
    Rockist

Pizzas : 68

Post by tjenz on Mon 30 Apr 2018 - 8:22

Konerko was a very good player. I don't think he's HoF good, but almost.
    400+ homers and he's number 139 all time, for hits by a MLB player.

Pizzas : 172

Post by raj gibson on Mon 30 Apr 2018 - 18:49

I looked and didn't see much. Zero pitching, 1B who is slightly above average: who will be the best player on the team for the next few years. (and, we all know the SOX way is to glorify an above average player, and make him seem elite: AKA Konerko)

Who do you think is special?

Jose Abreu averages like 3-4 WAR a year is much better than average. I know some people are relatively skeptical of Moncada but he's already improving and I think his floor is solid starter, ceiling is MVP.

Zero pitching, I don't know, I think at least one of Giolito or Lopez will round into a mid-rotation presence. Kopech is doing everything in his power to prove he's going to be good too.

That said, they have a ways to go and I agree fans should not lightly write off the failures of the last few years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 25 May 2018 - 15:21