thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000s

undo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 597

thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000s

Post by undo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Def Jux, Rhymesayers, Anticon, Rawkus (?), Solesides, Quannum, Mo Wax, Chocolate Industries (!), Mush, Lex, etc.

Mostly the first three, or mostly Def Jux I guess.

This music was really important to me at the time (more on this later, maybe) but also, so many of the key releases were just really, really fucking good...this is far from an agreed upon opinion at this point and I'd like to talk about that some as well.

undo
    bitter about people liking Modest Mouse

Pizzas : 597

Re: thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000s

Post by undo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 pm

This is one of my favorite rap albums and one of the best albums of the 2000s. Now it's just a poster in the bedroom of Lady Bird's asshole boyfriend!

I'll never get over the feeling of seeing that their Kickstarter to raise money for a follow-up album had raised less than a thousand dollars over a few months, while at the same time some guy was getting people to pay him like $50,000 to make an album of Minecraft-themed parody songs.

El-P's tracks are amazing on this and the lyrics/rapping are also really great! I don't think they ever got properly paid for this, which is to say they worked their asses off to make this, got zero mainstream recognition but were at least a decade too early to reap the rewards that artists like Odd Future, Danny Brown, Death Grips or Das Racist (!) would probably get to at least buy a house from (I imagine, CMIIW).

Current date/time is Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm