5 posters

thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1133

thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se Empty thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se

Post by undo Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Def Jux, Rhymesayers, Anticon, Rawkus (?), Solesides, Quannum, Mo Wax, Chocolate Industries (!), Mush, Lex, etc.

Mostly the first three, or mostly Def Jux I guess.

This music was really important to me at the time (more on this later, maybe) but also, so many of the key releases were just really, really fucking good...this is far from an agreed upon opinion at this point and I'd like to talk about that some as well.

undo
    undo

thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se Empty Re: thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se

Post by undo Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 pm

This is one of my favorite rap albums and one of the best albums of the 2000s. Now it's just a poster in the bedroom of Lady Bird's asshole boyfriend!

I'll never get over the feeling of seeing that their Kickstarter to raise money for a follow-up album had raised less than a thousand dollars over a few months, while at the same time some guy was getting people to pay him like $50,000 to make an album of Minecraft-themed parody songs.

El-P's tracks are amazing on this and the lyrics/rapping are also really great! I don't think they ever got properly paid for this, which is to say they worked their asses off to make this, got zero mainstream recognition but were at least a decade too early to reap the rewards that artists like Odd Future, Danny Brown, Death Grips or Das Racist (!) would probably get to at least buy a house from (I imagine, CMIIW).
    undo
    undo

thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se Empty Re: thread to talk about indie/political rap of the early 2000se

Post by undo Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:49 pm

I cannot put into words how much this meant to me, how exciting or important it felt.

Headline: Bush steals the presidency
    He needs the backing of the media what could the remedy be?
    The country's headed for recession reminiscent of the Great Depression
    Are lives worth a world of power?
    Easy question
    Planes hit the towers and the Pentagon
    Killing those the government wasn't dependent on
    It's easy to control the scared so they keep us in fear
    With their favorite Middle Eastern demon named Bin Laden this year

Was I a 9/11 truther?

I've been thinking about this for years now.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm

undo wrote: Now it's just a poster in the bedroom of Lady Bird's asshole boyfriend!

This is a perfect way of summing it up but I can't help but feel we're both culturally and chronologically poised for this stuff to make a major comeback

(remember when I told all the middle aged SOMBIEs that grime was going to blow up again like never before and then 5 years later 'That's Not Me' and 'German Whip' came out? Take heed)
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:27 am

this was an incredibly important era for me

"if this means anything at all anyway, it's a riddle"
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:19 pm

His presence looms large over this board like almost no one else but try as I may I can barely remember any of deej's posts in specific detail.

The only exchange I personally remember having with him was arguing about whether Baby Bash was a better rapper than Aesop Rock. You can probably guess where we stood on that disagreement.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm

the cold vein remains one of my all time favorite albums and i am still discovering new things about it

i have really vivid memories of listening to it under my covers as a high school sophomore or whatever and memorizing the drum patterns in "vein"
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 280
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 pm

How about Company Flo?

Big Juss gets no credit. El-p went on to much bigger things but I still think big juss had some crazy lines and deserves the occasional mention.
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Gene Bootcut wrote:
    This is a perfect way of summing it up but I can't help but feel we're both culturally and chronologically poised for this stuff to make a major comeback

I think I just meant in terms of lyrical themes? I'm sure there are a few exceptions but I suppose hip-hop is way more resistant to nostalgia and revivalism than rock or dance music, so I'm not saying I expect there to be a bunch of new records that sound like these ones. This also may already have happened for all I know, but being completely out of the loop has never prevented me from hitting Send before.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:46 am

This isn't really the appropriate thread for this but I was listening to some Capital Steez tracks today. It still bums me out think about the circumstances of his suicide. We would be the exact same age today if he were alive. Dude was a genius-level rapper, especially for his age. The whole Pro Era crew's sound was grounded in a nostalgia for old school hip-hop but Steez's rhyming really transcended everything they were doing. The way he raps off the beat on "Survival Tactics" can only be matched by absolute peak Andre 3K.

Really tragic passing. Absolutely no doubt that guy would have been a Brother of Bernard.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:54 am

jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am

BGwaves wrote:How about Company Flo?

Big Juss gets no credit.  El-p went on to much bigger things but I still think big juss had some crazy lines and deserves the occasional mention.
    yeah, i'm currently in another funcrusher plus phase

that album was incredibly ahead of its time and still sounds fresh today
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:17 am

not to mention this jam
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 am

Beans? Shock city maverick is still good. Just listened to it and man it’s a shame he couldn’t break into the mainstream… might not have wanted that though, I don’t know. Good stuff if you’ve never listened.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:33 am

Who on this board got into a car accident while listening to Beans?

This was someone's story on the original LOPP so the post is gone and I cannot look it up.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 am

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5883-hope/

I have deep memories of reading a thread about this album on SOMB, I was at the public library on the other side of town from my first apartment. deej was repping them super hard, this album was huge for like a week or something

I think I still own it but if I do, I wonder how on earth it has survived at least three purgings over the last few years that are designed to get rid of albums just like it: stuff I never really feel like listening to anymore.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:17 am

undo wrote:Who on this board got into a car accident while listening to Beans?

This was someone's story on the original LOPP so the post is gone and I cannot look it up.
    It may have been me. My car accident happened almost 16 years ago so I think that would have been on SOMB if anything but maybe I just didn’t tell the story until later. Also, I have zero memory of the music I was playing at the time. I can remember a bunch of vivid details, the look on the woman’s face as my car spun towards her in the Wendy’s parking lot, seeing the truck barrel toward me at the last second, and the shitty way the police handled the situation. Cops actually witnessed the accident but didn’t want to fill out paperwork I guess so they told us to goto the Belmont police station. My car was in bad shape so I was limping to the station… the other people just drove away. When I asked the cops what I can do about this, having the offenders plate number, they basically said it wasn’t worth their time. No sympathy at all, one of the dipshits had the nerve to keep saying it sounded like I caused the accident… gee whiz, thanks officer. But shock city maverick came out around that time so it lines up in that sense. But other then that I have no evidence for this possibility.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:35 pm

This was someone who (I believe?) was in an accident that actually flipped their car over. The crash might have killed their engine but as they climbed out of the car, Beans was still playing.

I think I started a thread about all of the music I remember listening to during every accident I've been in or ticket I've ever received.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 am

I listened to Themselves yesterday. Also, Buck 65, Jel, and Odd Nosdam.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:44 pm

i opened for buck 65 many years ago. he was a really nice guy with a really weird stage show. i think he had someone hoola hooping the entire time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am