+4
spiritofeden
yancy
Ned Braden
Paves
8 posters

1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!!

Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!! Empty 1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!!

Post by Paves Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Blood Sugar Sex Magik rules so much I can't believe it.

Shit is goddamn mind-blowing on headphones, bros.

Get fucked.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 988
    DispositionRock Guitars

1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!! Empty Re: 1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!!

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Definitely one of the very best bands. Totally stupid though obvs. Still groove the heck out of What Hits!? semi regularly. In my heart I know BSSM is far and away their best album but lately I just can't stop listening to One Hot Minute. Lots of various freakout jams and even the singles were really interesting/awesome... Warped, Aeroplane, shit.
    Since then I guess I enjoyed the song Don't Stop, but other than that they continue to exist as an unfortunately boring, occasionally funny alt rock band made up of people that I imagine to be solid bros of the top calibre. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something among the post 2000 albums that I couldn't be bothered to hear.
    I liked the Frusciante albums from last year but didn't actually get into them all that hard.

X post from fashion thread, this is a fun shirt I purchased a while back while drunk in Alaska which I feel is pretty sharp, and which is perfect for those days when you want to do the Joey Lawrence outer shirt tie move.
    1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!! IMG_3080
    yancy
    yancy
    equal parts Skrillex, T. Rex, Ed Kowalczyk, Joe Dumars, Outkast, and Kate Bush

Pizzas : 342

1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!! Empty Re: 1. This 2. New 3. Board 4. Needs 5. A Brand Spankin' New RHCP Thread!!!

Post by yancy Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Paves wrote:Blood Sugar Sex Magik rules so much I can't believe it.
    Accidentally switched to my car's CD player a few days ago and discovered BSSM in there! Still blows me away how dry & clean most of those tracks were recorded, especially for a major label in the '90s. There's so much air in a song like "Apache Rose Peacock." Air and fonk.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 31

Post by spiritofeden Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

can we talk for a minute about how absolutely terrible this band is live?

I saw them on the Californication and By The Way tour. Some of the worst shit I've ever seen tbh.

I also didn't help that they had bands like Mars Volta, Queens of the Stone Age and Stone Temple Pilots opening for them.

I saw them just jam at a soundcheck once though, and that was some pretty great shit
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 pm

hahahahaha remember when they wore those bigass lightbulbs on their head for god fucking knows what reason?

I guess seeing them live could never ever compete with the set list I'd have in my mind for them, but as long as they played like give it away and danced around like retards I'd be cool with spending lots of money on it.
    spiritofeden
    spiritofeden
    Bass Player from Creepy D

Pizzas : 31

Post by spiritofeden Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm

they certainly did dance like retards.

I guess I was just expecting a super tight band, and they were just sloppy and all over the place.

Kedis had to go off stage every 5 songs for oxygen, which was pretty embarrasing to see
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Bummer, big time harsh realm that the guy running so agilely in slo mo in the under the bridge video has fallen to such levels.

Anyway, wanted to find a starbucks near wife's place of employment to spend my early evening study time. There wasn't one so went to a pub instead where my choice of music/bev was RHCP What Hits and beer. Probably not a good move for schoolwork productivity!
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Pizzas : 394

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm

I saw them when Mother's Milk came out. I remember it being pretty good, but not transcendent. I've certainly never been punched in the back as many times in an hour as I was that night.

Late 80s / early 90s was a golden era for bands who didn't wear shirts on stage.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

First time I saw RHCP was ages ago (Navarro era) in the nosebleed seats of an arena, so I have no idea if they were any good or not.

Second time was from the "pit" at Tinely Park during Frusciante's return. By the Way tour, I guess. They were pretty good!

Third time would have been Lolla, but BSS had just blown everyone's minds, and the last thing I wanted to hear was the echo of Stadium Arcadium jams over a sea of bros. My only recollection is seeing Flea on the jumbotron as I hightailed it outta there.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

There were about 5 people separating me from the stage at the Riviera. I was slightly off center stage on Frusciante's side.

Bros in attendance were more of the skinhead type than the jock type.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I have never seen the Chilis live, but during my history of checking their live experience out on YouTube, I have found that the silliest aspect is far and away their inability to resist halting the sets to indulgently stroke their music nerd wangs via randomass covers. Which makes for what is surely some of the funniest shit that has ever gone down in front of however many people attend concerts by the Chilis.

Flea and John play Beefheart:

John plays Zappa:

Flea plays Neil:

John plays the Brothers Gibb:

Pretty much all possible reactions that an RHCP fan might have upon witnessing this shit going down irl (such as annoyance, confusion, sheer ecstasy brought on by the impromptu displays of musical genius occurring before their very eyes, etc.) are highly amusing to think about, IMO.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:01 pm

i bet flocka riff raff would freak the fuck out if he heard this

x post hoop it up
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 pm

LOL, fantastic call!

From now on I'm gonna be unable to imagine ever playing b-ball without either Mother's Milk or What Hits? as the soundtrack.
    yancy
    yancy

Post by yancy Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I hadn't though of "Magic Johnson" in years, but the first verse ran through my mind a couple nights ago while watching the Lakers vs. Heat. Amused by the line "back to back is a bad-ass fact, a claim that remains intact" on the eve of a decade where the Bulls would win two three-peats.
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:33 am

Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 am

At this time I'd like you all to please to rise and join us in honoring our great country as Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers will play our national anthem:

Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:15 pm

This reminded me.  There was a thing in the mid 80s where you had to take records back because they skipped like crazy.  Maybe Tjenz remembers this.
    I returned like 5 defective copies of Speaking in Tongues to Flip Side in Barrington Square before I just gave up and picked out another album.   Probably Blackout or Shout at the Devil.

Same thing with Freaky Styley, but I know for sure I replaced it with Mirage.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:20 pm

And the Chili Peppers / Meat Puppets exchange happened at the Sound Warehouse on Golf Rd.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 806
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Ted Falconi wrote:At this time I'd like you all to please to rise and join us in honoring our great country as Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers will play our national anthem
    How many bad-decision-induced surreal moments like this must be buried in the sands of time.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Man.  Imagine what must not be out there.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:09 pm

http://www.vice.com/read/were-hosting-a-live-talk-show-with-john-lurie-and-flea-starting-wednesday-at-9pm

VICE After Dark with John Lurie is an experimental 90-minute talk show premiering this week, live-streamed from our office on VICE's YouTube channel. John's first guest will be his good friend Flea, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Lurie will share his thoughts on various topics, chat with eclectic pickings of guests, and invite listeners to contribute their own ideas and directions by calling in during the show at (347) 474-0415.

im feelin it
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by Paves Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Well, that all sounds pretty darned experimental to me.
    Ted Falconi
    Ted Falconi
    Shiek

Post by Ted Falconi Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:40 am

Ted Falconi wrote:At this time I'd like you all to please to rise and join us in honoring our great country as Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers will play our national anthem:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am